new nas

millerb415

i am looking to build a new nas for a media server that works with plex i could have up to five streams off of this servier at the same time need some help picking the parts i have a $1000 US budget all in with hard drives

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZrNsRB

i will get the case at microcenter and have not finalized it yet so sugestion would be helpful on this too

I recommend an A7 Processor and using on 2 GIGS of RAM and getting more cheaper hybrid (SHDD) for around 80$ (for a 1TB hard drive) each (ive used them and theyre great) other than that its best aim at the budget but rather under the budget

5 minutes ago, GrimIcarus said:

I recommend an A7 Processor and using on 2 GIGS of RAM and getting more cheaper hybrid (SHDD) for around 80$ (for a 1TB hard drive) each (ive used them and theyre great) other than that its best aim at the budget but rather under the budget

the reason I went with the wd reds is that they are meant for what i am doing this is going to be on 24/7 and hold videos so i need a lot of storage and for plex i will need more ram that 2 gigs i was looking at the i3 because of its better efficiency in this build

what operating system do you run

1 minute ago, millerb415 said:

he reason I went with the wd reds is that they are meant for what i am doing this is going to be on 24/7 and hold videos so i need a lot of storage and for plex i will need more ram that 2 gigs i was looking at the i3 because of its better efficiency in this build

1 minute ago, GrimIcarus said:

freenas

19 minutes ago, millerb415 said:
21 minutes ago, GrimIcarus said:

freenas

alright was scared you would say MAC OSX (its happened before),why would you need plex though Kodi/XMBC does the job just fine for me and its really light weight but I did more digging and you still wouldn't need 16 gigs of RAM even if you used

Plex/FreeNAS combo

EDIT:ive looked at articles and Kodi already has  a simple guide for it and is all free ive linked the guide below for you

http://kodi.wiki/view/NAS#NAS_.28Network_Attached_Storage.29_and_Kodi

the plex app works with the Tivo setup at my house with a universal search that will search netflix, hulu, amazon prime, tv, and Plex so the seamlessness of it for the rest of my family who do not even know how to change the input on a tv (I am not Joking, i have been called when i was out because the tv was not working), nor how to copy data from an sd card, i am not joking, the pure simplicity is why i am going for plex

And 16 Terabytes can hold around 8200 HD 2.5 Hour MP4/AVI files

6 minutes ago, GrimIcarus said:

alright was scared you would say MAC OSX (its happened before),why would you need plex though Kodi/XMBC does the job just fine for me and its really light weight but I did more digging and you still wouldn't need 16 gigs of RAM even if you used Plex/FreeNAS combo

forgot to quote

34 minutes ago, GrimIcarus said:

And 16 Terabytes can hold around 8200 HD 2.5 Hour MP4/AVI files

first of it is 12 but i will get about 8 because of the type of RAID that i plan on using