Arduino & Rf Transmitter/receiver question

I am trying to setup a switch at my desk and when I flip it a light on my door turns on.  It's a pretty simple design, but I am unsure that one part of it will work.  The switch will tell my arduino to write high to a pin(lets use pin nine) and pin nine is connected to an RF transmitter.  an RF receiver above my door will recieve this and then it will be connected to a transistor and switch it to allow power to pass through.  My question is, will this work?  can my RF receiver receive that pinWrite HIGH and send that signal to a transistor to switch it?

Thanks

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

it depends on what rf transmitter/receiver you're using. that said, why do you need an arduino here? if you're going for an rf setup that can just relay signals you just need to wire up the switch to the transmitter, and the light to the receiver.

Like @manikyath said, if the transmitter just works off of power or no power then you could bipass the board. If the receiver only admitts output when it detects signal then you should be good. All the various transfer pairs makes it hard to say whether you set up will work or not from just the general idea. 

I'm assuming you need the board because the red led pertains to another function, if not 

http://www.cnaweb.com/wireless-remote-control-with-power-switch.aspx?gclid=CKnH25SUyMsCFQQEaQodTCQIDw

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

Like @manikyath said, if the transmitter just works off of power or no power then you could bipass the board. If the receiver only admitts output when it detects signal then you should be good. All the various transfer pairs makes it hard to say whether you set up will work or not from just the general idea. 

I'm assuming you need the board because the red led pertains to another function, if not 

http://www.cnaweb.com/wireless-remote-control-with-power-switch.aspx?gclid=CKnH25SUyMsCFQQEaQodTCQIDw

theres better deals on those plugs, but indeed, thats kinda all you'd need here.

also, these are terribly easy construction inside so they're great joy to reverse engineer.

(remote is a single chip, the wall plug is a receiever chip and some switching electronics)

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it depends on what rf transmitter/receiver you're using. that said, why do you need an arduino here? if you're going for an rf setup that can just relay signals you just need to wire up the switch to the transmitter, and the light to the receiver.

if I decide to omit the arduino, what do I hook up the switch to.  I could power the rf transmitter via usb or something as it will be on my desk, but what about the data pin.  I will hook up the switch to the data pin, but should I also hook up usb power to the switch so that when the switch is on, it passed through that power, and off it doesn't, then the receiver will pick up that signal and relay it to the led?

22 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

theres better deals on those plugs, but indeed, thats kinda all you'd need here.

also, these are terribly easy construction inside so they're great joy to reverse engineer.

(remote is a single chip, the wall plug is a receiever chip and some switching electronics)

obviously there are a few wires in usb mising here, but would something like this work?

switch.png

23 hours ago, littlepigboy5 said:

obviously there are a few wires in usb mising here, but would something like this work?

switch.png

Why not just bypass the switch and just unplug the usb for off and plug it in for on? again depending on how your set up works? or even use something like this as the switch.  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Adafruit/1620/?qs=GURawfaeGuAGOjA6516EQQ%3D%3D&gclid=CLmb3ZzXyssCFQqKaQodV5cPUQ

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Why not just bypass the switch and just unplug the usb for off and plug it in for on? again depending on how your set up works? or even use something like this as the switch.  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Adafruit/1620/?qs=GURawfaeGuAGOjA6516EQQ%3D%3D&gclid=CLmb3ZzXyssCFQqKaQodV5cPUQ

That's a little less elegant would this design work?

1 hour ago, littlepigboy5 said:

That's a little less elegant would this design work?

Assuming the transmitter is compatible with the switch and the usb is able to power it all(I would hope so) then I see no reason it wouldn't.  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]