Prebuilt vs Custom built NAS

Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions on what i should do. I currently have a Synology DS213 and love the synology features such as remote torrent download, personal cloud, remote file access, and photo app. I was wondering if it was a good idea to build by own say Unraid device or just buy a DS1515+?

If you are happy with and like the Synology desktop and ease of configuration I would stick with Synology products. Unraid might end up cheaper at the end of the day but if it doesn't have the form factor or the ease of use features you want then that's a moot point. I like you have a Synology unit and love it. Does everything I need in a small footprint without any of the configuration nightmares associated with a custom built NAS. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

DIY is IMHO not worth it until you get to more than 4 drives. [feel free to check out my enclosure in my sig]

It actually is almost painless to setup assuming you merely want a simple nas, but other things can get complicated quickly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

20 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

DIY is IMHO not worth it until you get to more than 4 drives. [feel free to check out my enclosure in my sig]

It actually is almost painless to setup assuming you merely want a simple nas, but other things can get complicated quickly.

DIY is worth it if you want to actually learn something about networking and the basics of how everything actually works.

DIY because you can do so much more with it :D

And I get a warm fuzzy feeling building my own servers.

2 hours ago, beavo451 said:

DIY is worth it if you want to actually learn something about networking and the basics of how everything actually works.

The basics of networking you don't need dyi to learn...  (btw I own a dyi nas anyways)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

well im thinking about doing a DIY nas, either Unraid or Free Nas but would like the ability to say use it to process gopro footage like with a VM but when i tried Unraid it was really difficult to get things to work