Fans spin, no display, graphics card fine, HALP

yusufnayab

Need help. It happened while my computer was on one day and the display suddenly went blank, so i go off and check my tower and all the fans are spinning (even the graphics card's one and the LEDs on the graphics card and the case lights were on and the hard drive activity was blinking.

So i decide, wait it off. Nothing. So i decide force reset, maybe just a graphics failure. So i press the power button (which is set to) turn off inside windows. wait. nothing. So i decide to hold the power button. nothing. i turn off the power supply. everything winds down, so i wait 10 minutes and try to turn it on. sometimes nothing, sometimes lights and fans, but no display.

Was hinted at motherboard failure by another thread.

Any ideas?

Check the display with another device or try a different display. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

Check the display with another device or try a different display. 

Should have mentioned I have tried the graphics card in another system, and ive tried a 280x and it worked! For about 4 minutes then no display again, had my GPU RMAd before i tested that and it worked, for about 10 minutes. and ive tried 4 monitors, 2 tvs and all connections/interfaces

Just now, ELSknutson said:

try resetting the CMOS

Its a MSI SLI Krait AM3 board and unforunately doesnt have, was directed to remove battery for 20 minutes then re-insert. Did it to no avail

Can you try another PSU?

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

there is a coin battery on the board take it out for 10 seconds or more and put it back in. 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Can you try another PSU?

Don't have one to test, but the graphics card LED has 3 stages: off - no power, red - less then minimum (450w), and white - sufficient power. It is currently white. and if any recollection it the fans spin at full speed (they usually revv up then slow down after post)

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

there is a coin battery on the board take it out for 10 seconds or more and put it back in. 

Tried and true. No avail

Try without graphics card (if your processor/ mobo supports it) Plug straight into mobo. Also try different monitor and check all connections on everything. 

I try to answer the best I can. 

Please realize that 95% of issues can be solved through Google.  I'll try to help,  but you need to Google yourself.  

Just now, fisch1l said:

Try without graphics card (if your processor/ mobo supports it) Plug straight into mobo. Also try different monitor and check all connections on everything. 

Tried every connection, every cable, every monitor to use (VGA, HDMI, and both DVI). Also it's AM3 so no onboard graphics

Do you even get a POST?

Please realize that 95% of issues can be solved through Google.  I'll try to help,  but you need to Google yourself.  

Just now, fisch1l said:

Do you even get a POST?

Usually a bunch of post codes come up on screen if cpu or ram failure, but nothing

Just now, yusufnayab said:
1 minute ago, fisch1l said:

Do you even get a POST?

Usually a bunch of post codes come up on screen if cpu or ram failure, but nothing

It usually cycles through the post codes, (successfully) and then posts the motherboard splash screen, but nothing. the monitor doesnt even recognize something is plugged in

Ohh... so maybe, maybe, corrupt HDD/ SSD anyone?

Ohh... so maybe, maybe, corrupt HDD/ SSD anyone?

It doesn't turn on I doubt a disk failure would cause the post to not happen, usually it goes through a post code that checks disks, but i have tried with no drives and a single usb boot os (ubuntu) but nothing

from my experience with my 7990

sadly your card is dead

my 7990's fan spin and all the lights turn on but no display

that might be the issue

Cpu: Intel i7-5820k at 4.6 Ghz // Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro // Ram: 32gb of Crucial Balistix at 2400 Mhz // Gpu: GTX 1080 Founders Edtion // SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb, Samsung 950 pro 256 gb, // Cooler: Cooler Master ml240r // Case: NZXT h500i 

Ok, just checking, glad you tried that already. Could be bad RAM, that was the issue with a problem we literally just solved over at WTF just happened??

Just now, TheHiddenCreeper said:

from my experience with my 7990

sadly your card is dead

my 7990's fan spin and all the lights turn on but no display

that might be the issue

Like I said I've tried other cards and they have worked in this system for a short time, but ive tested both cards afterwards (in another system) and they work

Ok, just checking, glad you tried that already. Could be bad RAM, that was the issue with a problem we literally just solved over at WTF just happened??

It usually checks RAM, and ive tried other ram in this system, and ive tried this ram in other systems, ive been as desperate as to try every possible combination of ram

Ok, you're a step ahead of me! This is sort of where I think it comes down to Motherboard or Power Supply. 

Just now, fisch1l said:

Ok, you're a step ahead of me! This is sort of where I think it comes down to Motherboard or Power Supply. 

well the graphics card would suggest that it is receiving adequate power (450w of my 700w psu), but im open to suggestions.

2 hours ago, yusufnayab said:

Don't have one to test, but the graphics card LED has 3 stages: off - no power, red - less then minimum (450w), and white - sufficient power. It is currently white. and if any recollection it the fans spin at full speed (they usually revv up then slow down after post)

Just because it gets power and the wattage is adequate doesn't mean the psu isn't messing up. It may be a problem with it over heating or shorting or just generally going bad. Can yo test the psu on another system? or maybe borrow a friends psu to test your system. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Have you tried a different PCI-E slot? and maybe reseating your cpu? Do you get any beep codes during post? If another PSU isn't available you could try a volt meter if you have one handy or know someone with one.

7 hours ago, Xyntium said:

Have you tried a different PCI-E slot? and maybe reseating your cpu? Do you get any beep codes during post? If another PSU isn't available you could try a volt meter if you have one handy or know someone with one.

There is no buzzer/speaker. Tried both slots. Where do i stick the prongs? and what should i expect. I dont know if there is meant to be more than one place to put my CPU, but if you mean take it off then place it back down, then yes. And I may have a power supply to test with, but the 20+4 pin seems to be stuck, any tips to how to get it out