Overclocking a GPU

TubsAlwaysWins

Ok so I wanna overclock my GPU, but im not to familiar with GPU overclocking. For the core clock do I have to adjust the core voltage and the power limit? For VRAM overclocking do I have to adjust the core voltage and power limit??? To many sliders.  Please help

Breaking things 1 day at a time

It depends how much you want to overclock. Some cards u can increase the clock speed a little before you have to start increasing more voltage. there will come a point where you will need to add voltage as your card will become unstable

Just now, danrey84 said:

It depends how much you want to overclock. Some cards u can increase the clock speed a little before you have to start increasing more voltage. there will come a point where you will need to add voltage as your card will become unstable

So how do I know when it is unstable?

Well your card will lock up , drivers will stop working. Programmes will start to crash. as soon as you see this start to happen its pretty safe you will need to start adding voltage if you haven't already.

Personally I just max out power target and gpu temp target (shouldn't get any hotter than around 75°C anyway on air).

Look up what other people are getting with their cards, like 100-150MHz on the core should be possible without a problem.

I don't touch the memory clocks, since it won't get you any real benefit

With my 980Ti I'm getting like 2-3 fps gains with +550 on the memory, not worth it really, the memory only gets hotter for no reason.

Also I wouldn't fiddle around with the voltages, not necessary at the beginning.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

3 minutes ago, Mecami said:

Personally I just max out power target and gpu temp target (shouldn't get any hotter than around 75°C anyway on air).

Look up what other people are getting with their cards, like 100-150MHz on the core should be possible without a problem.

I don't touch the memory clocks, since it won't get you any real benefit, with my 980Ti I'm getting like 2-3 fps gains with +550 on the memory, not worth it really.

Also I wouldn't fiddle around with the voltages, not necessary at the beginning.

Yea your spot on. Messing around with voltages when overclocking is only good once you have hit the limit with non voltage overclocking. Cause when you start messing with voltages you start to get more heat which means you have to start increasing fan speeds. It all has a knock on affect. More voltage = more heat.

5 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Well your card will lock up , drivers will stop working. Programmes will start to crash. as soon as you see this start to happen its pretty safe you will need to start adding voltage if you haven't already.

Because when I have tried in the past my scores and things have just gone down

Just now, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

Because when I have tried in the past my scores and things have just gone down

There will come a point where you can overclock as much as you want but the returns you get start to diminish that's when you have to stop as there is no point putting more and more stress through the card if it gives u nothing in return. Start by increasing your clock and memory speed by 5Mhz. You have to remember ever card is different and so just cause someone got say an extra 200mhz out of there card doesn't mean its going to happen the same with you. That's what happens with the silicone lottery.