Switch as a network card?

BluPaperclip

I'm hoping to build a super budget NAS and I'm wondering if I can pick up a switch instead of splashing out on a multiple port network card. Is it possible to do this?

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

1 minute ago, BluPaperclip said:

I'm hoping to build a super budget NAS and I'm wondering if I can pick up a switch instead of splashing out on a multiple port network card. Is it possible to do this?

They have two different uses and will effect the speeds going to and from the NAS. The switch will allow networking, the card just allows the PC to connect to two networks essentially. 

What is your budget and uses?

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

If you are planning on being able to access it on the network than that should work fine.

|My Rig| |Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.70GHz| |GT 740| |16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2133MHz| |240GB PNY SSD, 1TB WD Blue (RAID 0), 320GB Backup Drive| |Corsair 600C| |EVGA Supernove 850 G2| 

You want to know if you can use a switch as the NAS's network card? No.

If the mobo for the NAS does not have a NIC build into the mobo (never heard of that), then you will have to use a PCI or PCIe NIC in order to have it interface with the network.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just now, RedWulf said:

They have two different uses and will effect the speeds going to and from the NAS. The switch will allow networking, the card just allows the PC to connect to two networks essentially. 

What is your budget and uses?

Around £250 for the whole thing. I will just use it for mass storage and backups.

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

If the mobo for the NAS does not have a NIC build into the mobo (never heard of that), then you will have to use a PCI or PCIe NIC in order to have it interface with the network.

I was thinking of connecting my PC to the NAS directly for amazing speeds.

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

So I'm assuming home use? 

You mobo should have 10/100 or 10/100/1000 port built in, you only need 1 for the NAS unless its going to multiple networks. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, BluPaperclip said:

You need a switch not a card

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Cards allow the device to connect to the network, not back and forth between computers. Switches bridge that or special cables. If you buy a gigabyte(10/100/1000) switch you'll have more speed than you could need. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Cards allow the device to connect to the network, not back and forth between computers. Switches bridge that or special cables. If you buy a gigabyte(10/100/1000) switch you'll have more speed than you could need. 

Is this one any good?http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-V6-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/

5 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

That one should work fine

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

16 minutes ago, BluPaperclip said:

Oh, ok.

Yes, in that case you will want a switch.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.