Nas Help

Kyle

I have this really old system sitting in my room collecting dust so I figure why not put it to use.

Here are the specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nhqd4D

My first question is are the specs good enough to run a NAS system and if so what hard drives do you recommend I get? WD Red drives I assume? I have a 1tb WD Blue Drive sitting around also but not sure if WD Blue drives are good for a NAS.

Thank you

It's more than enough to run a NAS. You wouldn't need the graphics card, though. Maybe selling that or re-purposing it would be a good idea. 

WD Reds would be the drive I would go for with a NAS. Though if you have a 1TB WD Blue, you can use it to backup important information on the NAS. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I have this really old system sitting in my room collecting dust so I figure why not put it to use.

My first question is are the specs good enough to run a NAS system and if so what hard drives do you recommend I get? WD Red drives I assume? I have a 1tb WD Blue Drive sitting around also but not sure if WD Blue drives are good for a NAS.

Thank you

That looks like more than enough for a nas, and if your on a budget you could use the 1tb wd blue

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Depends on what you want to do with the NAS, you could have a couple good Plex streams going on it for sure. RAM is ok not the greatest, 8GB is the minimum for FreeNAS. WD reds are great for NAS drives.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Thank you

Performance wise? yes, it is. 

just one problem. 

those are all SATA 3GB/s, not SATA 6GB/s

It may not make a massive difference, but it would be enough for me to justify PCIe Sata 6 cards. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire.