Maths Stuff

northeastgamer

So, at my school we do what is called A GMM where we solve 9 problems and write a page for each of them on how we solved them. I am typing up one problem where we divide 6x^2 - 7x + 2 by 2x - 1. However, I wasn't able to find a way to type the long division out in google docs. Is there a program that I can type out the long division ( in standard form ) and then copy / paste?

Give me a sec working on this now

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

2 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

Give me a sec working on this now

Anwser is 3x-2 , you can also use wolfram alpha www.wolframalpha.com

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Would it be possible to do it by hand? I've found it to be a pain to write out math in a document when compared to just writing it out.

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Anwser is 3x-2 , you can also use wolfram alpha www.wolframalpha.com

Wow, thanks man, however I already solved this problem. I was looking for a way to show the long division as you would write it by hand on my write-up. Thnaks tho! :)

1 minute ago, Tesel said:

Would it be possible to do it by hand? I've found it to be a pain to write out math in a document when compared to just writing it out.

No, it has to be typed. :(

Ouch, that sounds like a pain. I'm not sure about long division, have you checked out Google Docs equations?

1 minute ago, Tesel said:

Ouch, that sounds like a pain. I'm not sure about long division, have you checked out Google Docs equations?

Yeah, you can do quite a bit, but long division is the only thing i have ever had trouble with. I've done 4 or 5 of these but they never required any long division.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but:

Click insert, click the second most right thing (comparison or whatever), and then type away (using the things it then gives on the top right)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but:

Click insert, click the second most right thing (comparison or whatever), and then type away (using the things it then gives on the top right)

I don't see such an option. Are using Google Docs?

14 minutes ago, northeastgamer said:

So, at my school we do what is called A GMM where we solve 9 problems and write a page for each of them on how we solved them. I am typing up one problem where we divide 6x^2 - 7x + 2 by 2x - 1. However, I wasn't able to find a way to type the long division out in google docs. Is there a program that I can type out the long division ( in standard form ) and then copy / paste?

I'm sure you could do the math, anyone could (if they've gone through Algebra)...so your dilemma is getting the mathematical notations on Google Docs???

Look no Further...

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/equation-calculator

Take screenshots, cut them to fit as images, 

GOodluck to you if u are actually looking for Unicode symbols that you can copy and paste

---UtterMayhem

Ask me About the Signature 

Spoiler

It's a new Comic Series my team and I are working on.

Here are Sneak Peaks of it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qk86iyvbp2wce6/AABFjOL1Yp2bQG7xruxuVToTa?dl=0

You could bite the bullet and use latex, but of course it has a bit of a learning curve.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

4 minutes ago, Utter_Mayhem said:

I'm sure you could do the math, anyone could (if they've gone through Algebra)...so your dilemma is getting the mathematical notations on Google Docs???

Look no Further...

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/equation-calculator

Take screenshots, cut them to fit as images, 

GOodluck to you if u are actually looking for Unicode symbols that you can copy and paste

Thanks for the link, however I was hoping to get the actual long division notation, like what we all learned in elementary school, onto the page.

I see no reason why this has to be so complicated, unless you have to do the calculation by long division, as just factorising the first expression to be (3x-2)(2x-1) is then easily divided by 2x-1 without long division, at least in my mind anyway.

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Well for (almost) any kind of equation you can use Wolfram Alpha, as someone mentioned it. It might be complicated in the beginning but you'll get the hang of it. It also has a paid app for Android if you happen to run it, worth those few $. Iirc I only had issues with Differential Geometry and Differential equations but I couldn't remember exactly what even  if my life depended on it. Also some things like trigonometric identities might be confusing for some people since it's written using American symbols, which are different from European here and there. And you have step by step solutions for most things. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I've always used equation editor in MS word for all of my technical reports. No need to over complicate things here.

35 minutes ago, northeastgamer said:

I don't see such an option. Are using Google Docs?

Ohhh, no I'm using Word (2010). That explains it :P Then I don't know how to help you, sorry (apart from using Word, but yeah that's not really helping).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I'll second the factoring and cancelling method.  It should be the easiest way to type the problem out.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Any problems you need help with? 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

8 hours ago, northeastgamer said:

Wow, thanks man, however I already solved this problem. I was looking for a way to show the long division as you would write it by hand on my write-up. Thnaks tho! :)

Long division? can't you just go 6x^2 - 7x + 2 / 2x - 1
I'm confused as to what you mean by long division? Putting it in a large fraction?

Thanks for the math practice :P I really needed it 

The answer is (3x-2) 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4