Windows 10 Upgrades Itself... Then Breaks.

g1ngernator

http://kotaku.com/my-pc-upgraded-to-windows-10-without-asking-then-immed-1764756440

Just to add to the long list of issues that make up Windows 10. Microsoft SHOULD NOT be forcibly rolling out Windows updates but if they are, I mean, come on at least make the OS work.

"I had plans to stop being an old dinosaur and upgrade to Windows 10 last week. What I didn’t expect was to wake up on Thursday morning and find out Windows had taken care of that for me."

"It was not seamless. Disaster struck almost immediately"

i7 4790k 4.8GHz  |  16 DDR3 RAM  |  MSI Gaming 5 Mobo  |  ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum

of the dozens of pc's i have upgraded, none of them bricked during upgrade process.......just saying............

Same here but the same can't be said for others and if it's not working for everyone then they shouldn't be forcing the update out.

i7 4790k 4.8GHz  |  16 DDR3 RAM  |  MSI Gaming 5 Mobo  |  ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum

Just now, Arty said:

of the dozens of pc's i have upgraded, none of them bricked during upgrade process.......just saying............

yes, but out of the hundreds being forced to upgrade, a lot of them are...... just saying.....

it is a known issue. even linus was talking about it on the livestream. it happend to luke.

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

1 minute ago, Arty said:

Didn't Luke mention that it happened to him on the WAN show a few weeks back? 

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

Just now, g1ngernator said:

Same here but the same can't be said for others and if it's not working for everyone then they shouldn't be forcing the update out.

They are a company, they want one thing money. this will get them that, the "techys" are far and few between, most windows users dont even know there are other options.

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

Just now, Mattyp92 said:

Didn't Luke mention that it happened to him on the WAN show a few weeks back? 

yeah.

How is this troubleshooting?

6 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

yes, but out of the hundreds being forced to upgrade, a lot of them are...... just saying.....

it is a known issue. even linus was talking about it on the livestream. it happend to luke.

5 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

They are a company, they want one thing money. this will get them that, the "techys" are far and few between, most windows users dont even know there are other options.

yea but we don't know the scenarios., millions of reasons it  could have failed.

Just now, Arty said:

yea but we don't know the scenarios., millions of reasons it  could have failed.

yeah, we also know that the "dozens" of pc's you have upgraded, were upgraded the "right" way, and by someone that knows how to fix it if it does "brick" i was just laying claim to the fact that just because you did dozens of them does not mean that the issue is the person..

1 minute ago, Arty said:

Regardless, if it's failing, especially on computers like laptops in the article which worked perfectly on Windows 7, then they should not be forcible pushing out the update.

6 minutes ago, g1ngernator said:

How is this troubleshooting?

This is for troubleshooting? was it your computer? thought you was just trying to talk about the situation? you didnt post anything about you getting bricked nor a error code?

2 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

yeah, we also know that the "dozens" of pc's you have upgraded, were upgraded the "right" way, and by someone that knows how to fix it if it does "brick" i was just laying claim to the fact that just because you did dozens of them does not mean that the issue is the person..

Comprehension isn't the best in this situation :D, I didn't say it was Anyone's Fault, i just said there are many scenarios,  which could include, people, bad drivers, corrupt downloads,  etc, things that are not related to MS's it self. 

were upgraded the "right" way,

all but my personal rig were done via the popup menu from windows 7 or 8.1.

4 minutes ago, g1ngernator said:

Regardless, if it's failing, especially on computers like laptops in the article which worked perfectly on Windows 7, then they should not be forcible pushing out the update.

That's MS's decision, and they will pay the price. "unification" , sad thing is, in the big picture,  this isn't MS's fault., well actually it is, they should have forced updates, since xp.........and done better update quality testing.....

1 minute ago, Arty said:

Comprehension isn't the best in this situation :D, I didn't say it was Anyone's Fault, i just said there are many scenarios,  which could include, people, bad drivers, corrupt downloads,  etc, things that are not related to MS's it self. 

you are right, the only problem is, before they started forcing it, windows upgrade errors hardly showed up, not to mention most people still don't even want to go to 8.1, or have upgraded to 8.1 and only just got used to it before getting ripped away into a different os. its the fact that its stupid for ms to do this, not really the errors.

1 minute ago, reddemonoverlord said:

you are right, the only problem is, before they started forcing it, windows upgrade errors hardly showed up, not to mention most people still don't even want to go to 8.1, or have upgraded to 8.1 and only just got used to it before getting ripped away into a different os. its the fact that its stupid for ms to do this, not really the errors.

Whats stupid is they aren't quality controlling the updates right, if they had done that, and do that, Forcing updates since XP would have been better.

From my experience, i know more people who have had problems from never updating vs, updating when supposed too.

Just now, Arty said:

Whats stupid is they aren't quality controlling the updates right, if they had done that, and do that, Forcing updates since XP would have been better.

From my experience, i know more people who have had problems from never updating vs, updating when supposed too.

yeah, thats true, it just aggravates me because, in the past 3 weeks i have "fixed" 5 laptops and one desktop for my family members. T_T but you are right if it was controlled better then i would not have to do these things anyways..

2 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

yeah, thats true, it just aggravates me because, in the past 3 weeks i have "fixed" 5 laptops and one desktop for my family members. T_T but you are right if it was controlled better then i would not have to do these things anyways..

And from what i have seen as well, very few people actually hate windows 10, they just don't like change in general..

i have been on insider since 2014, and my pc auto updates every week, and i have not had it brick it self (yet)

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Moved to troubleshooting.

Include your system specs, and what you did, to help us, help you better.

Moved to troubleshooting.

Include your system specs, and what you did, to help us, help you better.

Shouldn't this be put into the windows forum not troubleshooting?

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

And from what i have seen as well, very few people actually hate windows 10, they just don't like change in general..

i have been on insider since 2014, and my pc auto updates every week, and i have not had it brick it self (yet)

Once again I personally have had no problems with win 10 and too am on the insider program but people who just don't want to upgrade like elderly people should not be forced to.

1 minute ago, RZeroX said:

Shouldn't this be put into the windows forum not troubleshooting?

it was in tech news, some staff member moved it

Once again I personally have had no problems with win 10 and too am on the insider program but people who just don't want to upgrade like elderly people should not be forced to.

My dad his internet on his laptop stopped working, took it down stairs plugged in the yea old ethernet cable, ran windows update, rebooted, everything working again.

IF MS don't send butchered updates every once in awhile, it shouldn't matter.

honestly, everyone elderly  i know  i have put them on a chromebook or chromebox, less problems less hassle in long term.

1 minute ago, Arty said:

My dad his internet on his laptop stopped working, took it down stairs plugged in the yea old ethernet cable, ran windows update, rebooted, everything working again.

IF MS don't send butchered updates every once in awhile, it shouldn't matter.

honestly, everyone elderly  i know  i have put them on a chromebook or chromebox, less problems less hassle in long term.

true but that dosnt solve the problem that there are still some really non techy people who are running 7 and would have no idea what to do if they woke up one morning to win 10. especially if they had an issue like the one mentioned in the article

true but that dosnt solve the problem that there are still some really non techy people who are running 7 and would have no idea what to do if they woke up one morning to win 10. especially if they had an issue like the one mentioned in the article

This is problem, Ms needs to fix this, so people can stop complaining, because windows 10 is great, and honestly easier to use if you have trouble seeing and shit with all these big ass tiles lol. 

Imoved my dad from vista to 10, first 2 days he was like dafug is dis, then after that he loves it. 

1 minute ago, Arty said:

This is problem, Ms needs to fix this, so people can stop complaining, because windows 10 is great, and honestly easier to use if you have trouble seeing and shit with all these big ass tiles lol. 

Imoved my dad from vista to 10, first 2 days he was like dafug is dis, then after that he loves it. 

totally agree but ms really do need to pull their shit together.