Any way to turn off power to 4pin fan header on MB?

Dovin
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

well since the headers of the motherboard are fan headers, the case no one would need

to turn off a fan is less likely. on PWM function, the % cycle time lowest value is 30%

in some cases. but most are 60%. so there is no value to 0% or 0volts.

only solution would be to run lights from source and install an interrupt switch to

toggle the power on and off. and best circuit would be the ground of the lights.

airdeano

I am currently finishing up a build and was thinking of adding a LED strip i bought. It is a Phobya LED-Flexlight that I have connected to the MB via a 2 pin wired 3 pin connector to a 4 pin on the MB. To explain a little better, because that might have been hard to understand. The LED strip uses a 3pin fan header, but only has to pins  wired. That is connected to one of the MBs 4 pin PWM fan header.

So what I want to do is have the option of turning the light on and off in my OS, does anyone know of a way or program that can help me do this? I tried fan xpert, but it didn't show up in the roll down menu.

If this was hard to understand I am sorry, my grammar and spelling is still pretty terrible.

Thanks for any help and have a nice day.

-Dovin

Do not believe there is any software which can do this in your OS, but I found this link. Didn't know it was possible myself, but it's worth a try http://www.ehow.com/how_7181145_disable-fans-pc.html

EDIT - Some motherboards have programs which allow you to access BIOS in OS (ClickBios2) , this may be a compromise... but I cannot be too sure.

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

well since the headers of the motherboard are fan headers, the case no one would need

to turn off a fan is less likely. on PWM function, the % cycle time lowest value is 30%

in some cases. but most are 60%. so there is no value to 0% or 0volts.

only solution would be to run lights from source and install an interrupt switch to

toggle the power on and off. and best circuit would be the ground of the lights.

airdeano

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to try and see if I can use an extension cable that leads outside the back of the case so I can physically plug it in when I want the light without having to take the sidepanel off each time.

-Dovin