Installing after Windows 10

Gigawatt
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
18 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I already have upgraded to Windows 10 , but lets just say I decide to do a fresh install on my PC would I just stick in my old windows 7 disc and go from there?

Nope. Easier. Say you even change your HDD, or SSD, just to add to the question.

Simply use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool found on Microsoft website to download Windows 10 and prepare your USB flash drive for you (or disk). Boot to it, and install Windows 10. When you'll be asked for Windows 10 product key, click "I don't have one", and the setup will resume.

Once in Windows 10, after a bit (usually a Windows Update triggers it), Windows 10 will generate a hardware ID from your core components, and see if it matches what is on Microsoft servers already (from your first activation), if it does, than it will activate.

If you change drastically your system (different motherboard), and your Windows 7 copy (applies to 8 as well), is retail, you should be able to type your previous version of Windows key as a Windows 10 key in Windows 10 activation box, and activate (so don't through away your Windows 7, even if it isn't retail, just in case in the future things screws up). Your Windows 7/8 key will not work in the product key of the Windows 10 setup, it will only work if the key was used on a system that was previously upgraded to Windows 10, and done in Windows 10 activation window, once Windows 10 is installed. :)

I already have upgraded to Windows 10 , but lets just say I decide to do a fresh install on my PC would I just stick in my old windows 7 disc and go from there?

Yea that would work. But if you goto recovery you might be able to restore windows 7. But hey if a clean instal is what you want then go for it!

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, Gigawatt said:

That would still drag some files over from the windows install, so technically it's more of any upgrade rather than fresh install. To freshly install windows 10 you would have to insert the windows 10 boot device and follow the install process

If you want fresh Windows 7, yes. If you mean how do you get fresh Windows 10, there's a "Reset This PC" option in the W10 settings, one of the reset options is to wipe everything and reinstall W10. 

No, make a windows 10 disc or flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

Just to clarify on the subject. A clean install for windows 10. So would I have to reinstall windows 7 disc then upgrade to 10 again?

5 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

If you want fresh Windows 7, yes. If you mean how do you get fresh Windows 10, there's a "Reset This PC" option in the W10 settings, one of the reset options is to wipe everything and reinstall W10. 

Thank you that is the answer I was looking for :):):)

Just now, Gigawatt said:

Just to clarify on the subject. A clean install for windows 10. So would I have to reinstall windows 7 disc then upgrade to 10 again?

Goto settings on windows 10, then goto update and security. then click recovery and reset this pc.

Hope This helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, Gigawatt said:

Thank you that is the answer I was looking for :):):)

If for whatever reason it won't reset, use the advanced startup option in the same "reset this pc" menu and then do the reset from within the advanced startup. I reset a laptop a while ago that wouldn't reset the normal way, for some unknown reason. 

6 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

So the "Reset this PC" is essential making a new partition?

Just now, Gigawatt said:

It is reinstalling windows 10 with no programs or games installed, basically a clean install.

Just now, Gigawatt said:

No, it doesn't create or delete any partitions, it reinstalls Windows on the same partition the current (soon to be ex) install is stored on. There's an option to keep your stuff and another option to nuke it all, but both options reinstall the OS on the same partition as the current install. 

Here's what I would do just to save some confusion...

If you want to fresh install windows 10, use a Windows 10 bootable USB and format your drives then install it fresh.

If you want to fresh install windows 7, use a Windows 7 bootable USB and format your drives then install it fresh.

That way you can be certain that no files are left over after installation

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

No, it doesn't create or delete any partitions, it reinstalls Windows on the same partition the current (soon to be ex) install is stored on. There's an option to keep your stuff and another option to nuke it all, but both options reinstall the OS on the same partition as the current install. 

Most helpful thank you 

1 minute ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Here's what I would do just to save some confusion...

If you want to fresh install windows 10, use a Windows 10 bootable USB and format your drives then install it fresh.

If you want to fresh install windows 7, use a Windows 7 bootable USB and format your drives then install it fresh.

That way you can be certain that no files are left over after installation

How do I make windows 10 bootable from a usb drive? 

1 minute ago, Gigawatt said:

How do I make windows 10 bootable from a usb drive? 

There's a media creation tool available on MS's website, but it's not really necessary for what I think you want to achieve, the functionality is built into the OS via "reset this pc". Unless you have a desire to format the drive the OS is currently installed on, the media creation tool method is longer and more complicated for no real gain (in your case). 

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

There's a media creation tool available on MS's website, but it's not really necessary for what I think you want to achieve, the functionality is built into the OS via "reset this pc". Unless you have a desire to format the drive the OS is currently installed on, the media creation tool method is longer and more complicated for no real gain (in your case). 

By formatting you mean like making the disc "Basic" or Dynamic ?

18 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Nope. Easier. Say you even change your HDD, or SSD, just to add to the question.

Simply use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool found on Microsoft website to download Windows 10 and prepare your USB flash drive for you (or disk). Boot to it, and install Windows 10. When you'll be asked for Windows 10 product key, click "I don't have one", and the setup will resume.

Once in Windows 10, after a bit (usually a Windows Update triggers it), Windows 10 will generate a hardware ID from your core components, and see if it matches what is on Microsoft servers already (from your first activation), if it does, than it will activate.

If you change drastically your system (different motherboard), and your Windows 7 copy (applies to 8 as well), is retail, you should be able to type your previous version of Windows key as a Windows 10 key in Windows 10 activation box, and activate (so don't through away your Windows 7, even if it isn't retail, just in case in the future things screws up). Your Windows 7/8 key will not work in the product key of the Windows 10 setup, it will only work if the key was used on a system that was previously upgraded to Windows 10, and done in Windows 10 activation window, once Windows 10 is installed. :)

Just now, Gigawatt said:

By formatting you mean like making the disc "Basic" or Dynamic ?

Formatting the disc wipes everything: OS, programs, files, the whole lot. It just leaves the disc as one big, empty NTFS space.