Switch question

cypress

Good day everyone!

At the moment im looking for a nice switch.

But with my Requirements im not really finding anything....

So i want to ask for your support :).

What im looking for is an 16+ ports switch (need 13 but want some extra just in case :P)

It needs to be managed en supports POE(+).

And if possible the size smaller then 19inch.

And it need to be fanless.

The reason why im looking for this switch is: 

I dont trust my TP-link router... i suspecting it for decreasing the stability of my internet....

And don't get me started on the modem from the provider xD

I like to hear from you :)

Greetingz

2 hours ago, cypress said:

What im looking for is an 16+ ports switch (need 13 but want some extra just in case :P)

It needs to be managed en supports POE(+).

And if possible the size smaller then 19inch.

And it need to be fanless.

I'm not aware of any 16+ port switches that is POE that is also fanless. There is just too much power required to allow for passive cooling.

Either use POE injectors or a smaller POE switch for devices that require it and another that is not POE.

Agreed the power requirements of POE, let alone POE+, mean you won't find fanless options at 16 ports. There might be some 8 ports switches that fulfill the requirements, other than number of ports. Could use two of those if you find them.

Edit: Actually I know managed 8 port POE fanless switches exist, we've installed hundreds of them of a few different brands and models. I'm not sure if any of ours are POE+ though. And they are more like "smart" switches than managed switches - then have a web UI and no CLI.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Hello all :)

Mmmm that was the reply where i was affraid off :/

But i dont need 16 POE ports :P sorry if i explained it wrong...

4 or 6 will be enough :P there will be 2or 3 camera's and an acces point. and want ssomething leff to play with :P

But i found and Unmanaged Switch (Linksys LGS116P), The Downside from this one is its unmanaged... so if you recommend this linksys i will probably need a another Router... just to replace my tp-link tl-wr1043nd, Becuase i suspect is te instabilize mij connection...

A managed Switch will be beter just becuase of the point less devices...

4 hours ago, cypress said:

Hello all :)

Mmmm that was the reply where i was affraid off :/

But i dont need 16 POE ports :P sorry if i explained it wrong...

4 or 6 will be enough :P there will be 2or 3 camera's and an acces point. and want ssomething leff to play with :P

But i found and Unmanaged Switch (Linksys LGS116P), The Downside from this one is its unmanaged... so if you recommend this linksys i will probably need a another Router... just to replace my tp-link tl-wr1043nd, Becuase i suspect is te instabilize mij connection...

A managed Switch will be beter just becuase of the point less devices...

I think you're getting a little confused. Even a managed switch won't replace a router. There are some "L3 switches" out there but they don't do DHCP or NAT or have a firewall, their L3 features are things like managing multicast group membership and filtering some traffic by higher protocols.

7 hours ago, brwainer said:

I think you're getting a little confused. Even a managed switch won't replace a router. There are some "L3 switches" out there but they don't do DHCP or NAT or have a firewall, their L3 features are things like managing multicast group membership and filtering some traffic by higher protocols.

Wait Wut?! really :o

For some reason i believe you over my teacher xD,

My teacher told me that i don't need a router when i get a managed switch :/.

But if that not right i don't care if its managed or unmanaged :p. 

But now i thinking to get the Linksys mentioned above :P and now need to look for an good Router.

Do you know a good router ?!? :D 

1 minute ago, cypress said:

But now i thinking to get the Linksys mentioned above :P and now need to look for an good Router.

The "managed" name for a switch means you can control aspects of the switch, like whether a port is active and if it's part of a VLAN. You can also get info on the things connected to the ports. There are also "smart" switches which mostly do the same things but only have a web UI and no CLI access. 

If you really want a lot of functionality and reliability in your router and don't mind a bit of a learning curve, something from Mikrotik or Ubiquiti would be good. If you want a friendlier router, the TP-link Archer C7 or Archer C9 are good picks - they are pretty good hardware on their own, and I'm fairly sure you can put DD-WRT on them.

20 minutes ago, cypress said:

What is your internet connection type? ADSL, Cable, Fibre? Hard to give a good recommendation without knowing.

Personally if not fibre I would get a modem only or single port router and bridge to a proper router/firewall. In my case I use a Draytek Vigor 120 and bridge to a FortiGate 60D. You could do the same to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X/Lite since those are much cheaper than any Fortinet product.

I got the cable. want fiber but not yet available .....

Im starting to think to get the Linksys WRT1900ACS.

In combi with the Linksys LGS116P. And as Access point the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC LR (not sure to that the PRO or not :/)

Will this work? (in my theory it will :P but i make mistakes xD)

7 minutes ago, cypress said:

I got the cable. want fiber but not yet available .....

Im starting to think to get the Linksys WRT1900ACS.

In combi with the Linksys LGS116P. And as Access point the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC LR (not sure to that the PRO or not :/)

Will this work? (in my theory it will :P but i make mistakes xD)

I don't see any problems with those products. Personally I would go with the Pro APs, since they are 3x3 AC instead of 1x1. 

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

I don't see any problems with those products. Personally I would go with the Pro APs, since they are 3x3 AC instead of 1x1. 

Okey then i go with the Pro (to be honest someone told me that the non pro is beter then the pro :o dunno if true ...)

And wich one will be beter :P in overall xD

The linksys WRT1900ACS of the Linksys EA8500 ?

PS wifi will ben nice but not really important.

Stupid question :P

Is the quality of Linksys still the same after Belkin bought it? 

Im not really a fan of belkin to be honest xD.

1 hour ago, cypress said:

Stupid question :P

Is the quality of Linksys still the same after Belkin bought it? 

Im not really a fan of belkin to be honest xD.

Wow I'm ashamed of myself for not knowing Belkin owns Linksys now. Without any real data I'll blame my more recent issues with Linksys on that :P. One of the core reasons I used to recommend Linksys to the general home user was solely based on Cisco owning them (yea stupid but they're all really the same anyway).

I've had two Linksys ADSL AIO units die on me in the last 2 years and a friend had one die also.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Wow I'm ashamed of myself for not knowing Belkin owns Linksys now. Without any real data I'll blame my more recent issues with Linksys on that :P. One of the core reasons I used to recommend Linksys to the general home user was solely based on Cisco owning them (yea stupid but they're all really the same anyway).

I've had two Linksys ADSL AIO units die on me in the last 2 years and a friend had one die also.

Linksys under Cisco benefited from the thought that Cisco owning them meant the hardware/firmware was better... but that wasn't true at all. Cisco/Linksys wasn't any more reliable than other brands during the time period (major brands, and of course every brand can have a particularly bad firmware or hardware revision occasionally). Since Belkin bought the brand, the only change I have seen is that recent Linksys firmwares have taken features traditionally only seen in Belkin routers. I can give you specifics but it's something that only a company with our network design would get affected by. Short version is that we used to say we recommend all routers except Belkin. Now we say all routers except Belkin and Linksys. (OP: Don't worry about this, it only affects a very fringe case if your ISP runs their network a particular way. And we're just about the only ones that do it this way, and based on the fact that you have a modem, we are not your ISP. You can safely get a Linksys router).

25 minutes ago, brwainer said:

-Snip-

I wasn't really being all that serious, plus the failed units were purchased pre Belkin buyout and I haven't brought any Linksys gear since about 2012-13 (ish).

I do find it interesting that the Belkin firmware makes it unusable for your network.

11 hours ago, brwainer said:

Linksys under Cisco benefited from the thought that Cisco owning them meant the hardware/firmware was better... but that wasn't true at all. Cisco/Linksys wasn't any more reliable than other brands during the time period (major brands, and of course every brand can have a particularly bad firmware or hardware revision occasionally). Since Belkin bought the brand, the only change I have seen is that recent Linksys firmwares have taken features traditionally only seen in Belkin routers. I can give you specifics but it's something that only a company with our network design would get affected by. Short version is that we used to say we recommend all routers except Belkin. Now we say all routers except Belkin and Linksys. (OP: Don't worry about this, it only affects a very fringe case if your ISP runs their network a particular way. And we're just about the only ones that do it this way, and based on the fact that you have a modem, we are not your ISP. You can safely get a Linksys router).

So if i get it right. the quality is still the same?

i rather pay i little bit more for some quality then something that sucks :P.

3 hours ago, cypress said:

So if i get it right. the quality is still the same?

i rather pay i little bit more for some quality then something that sucks :P.

Honestly all of the major brands (linksys, dlink, belkin, asus, tplink) all make basically the same hardware, down to using the same chipsets and basing their firmwares on common elements. If you really want a better router, you can get a ubiquiti or mikrotik router, the downside with them is that they aren't as straightforward to set up since they are so much more powerful.

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

Honestly all of the major brands (linksys, dlink, belkin, asus, tplink) all make basically the same hardware, down to using the same chipsets and basing their firmwares on common elements. If you really want a better router, you can get a ubiquiti or mikrotik router, the downside with them is that they aren't as straightforward to set up since they are so much more powerful.

Aha, oke i gonna decided to go for the link sys WRT1900ACS router and the Linksys LGS116P switch :) And The Ubiquite unify AC pro access point :).

Any comment on it ? :)

I go for the linksys just because many reviews are pretty positive about it.

For the switch arent many review from it. but found one, it only negative point is the price.

And the ubiquiti is just great :).

Yesterday from my work told me that de NON-pro version is better the the pro version.

But that can't be true, can it ? :o

3 hours ago, cypress said:

Yesterday from my work told me that de NON-pro version is better the the pro version.

The Pro is better than the Lite and the LR see below. The Pro is also outdoor rated (mild) and has similar range to the LR. The Pro does cost a significant amount more than the LR so unless you actually need it or require the proper PoE switch support save your money.

Ubnt AP AC Lite:

2.4Ghz: MIMO 2x2 (300Mbps)

5.0Ghz: MIMO 2x2 (867Mbps)

PoE: 24V Passive

Ubnt AP AC LR:

2.4Ghz: MIMO 3x3 (450Mbps)

5.0Ghz: MIMO 2x2 (867Mbps)

PoE: 24V Passive

Ubnt AP AC Pro:

2.4Ghz: MIMO 3x3 (450Mbps)

5.0Ghz: MIMO 3x3 (1300Mbps)

PoE: 48V 802.3af PoE/802.3at PoE+

Source: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_AC_APs_DS.pdf

12 hours ago, cypress said:

Aha, oke i gonna decided to go for the link sys WRT1900ACS router and the Linksys LGS116P switch :) And The Ubiquite unify AC pro access point :).

Any comment on it ? :)

I go for the linksys just because many reviews are pretty positive about it.

For the switch arent many review from it. but found one, it only negative point is the price.

And the ubiquiti is just great :).

The combinatipn you listed will be fine.

Yesterday i received the router and the switch :D.

And it works perfectly :) to be honest beter then expected.

Today comes the acces point because the store where i ordered it didn't had it.

Many many thanks guys :D ! will be staying here for sure.

the next challenge will be laying the cat 5e cable for the AP.

but will see :), i stay positive, haha

Received today the Ubiquiti :) was really excited about it.

Configured it, Eset Firewall kept it from finding it :o so turned it off and there it was.

With a speed test on my room where it atm the moment hangs (just to test it) i get a nice 150MBps.

And in the living room i receive 140 mbps. so its beter then expected xD was expecting in this situation around 100 ish mbps :P

Yet again many many thanks :D

Now im sure that the weakest point in the network is the provider modem.

Iam able tho replace it. but atm i got an Cisco and i wil then receive an "Ubee" not sure what to expect from that :/.

I know that the Cisco modem i pretty old. but i like cisco more then ubee xD