Editing PC Upgrade Help

Go to solution Solved by runit3,

http://pc4u.org/best-monitor-for-photo-editing-and-photography/#Best_budget_monitor_for_photo_editing_under_300

Under $300 in the last section

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CXhVsY

Knocked off all but 2 of the pretty blue fans and swapped the board for an H97. A caveat would be if you planned on running a RAID on a separate SATA controller for completed file archives (how I currently run mine). I haven't run into an H97 with controller port segregation, and since you're upgrading an existing system it would be inadvisable to swap over to RAID from AHCI. I can try to hunt down a Z97 if that's something you feel like you may need in the future, can always go the NAS route too.

I am looking to build a new pc that is reliable and can do some decent editing. I believe I have made a  pretty good build for this but I just wanted to confirm. The part list I have setup is: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brentfisher71/saved/jJkxFT. Now I believe that this will be a good build due to all the good reviews on all the parts but I really need to know because I have a lot of video editing work I need to get done. I do have a very strict budget but if you guys can give me an idea of better parts to get around the same price range then that would be very helpful. The main programs I use on a daily basis include Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Lightroom. Thank you for taking your time to help me, means alot.

You don't need an aftermarket cooler with the Xeon, the insane amount of fans, or the Z97 board (unless you plan on SLI down the road). R9-390 or 390X would be a better GPU choice unless you absolutely need CUDA as opposed to OpenCL.

If you've never worked on a 27" 1080p monitor I'd highly suggest you check them out before you buy, I can't stand my wife's. I couldn't find any reviews for that particular model on TFT Central, but since you're solely operating in the Adobe RGB world I'm fairly confident in saying there are some better panels out there in that price range (or a bit of an increase from getting rid of all the fans :D)  There were some screaming deals on the PB278Q, not sure if they're still around, but I swear by this thing.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

15 minutes ago, runit3 said:

You don't need an aftermarket cooler with the Xeon, the insane amount of fans, or the Z97 board (unless you plan on SLI down the road). R9-390 or 390X would be a better GPU choice unless you absolutely need CUDA as opposed to OpenCL.

If you've never worked on a 27" 1080p monitor I'd highly suggest you check them out before you buy, I can't stand my wife's. I couldn't find any reviews for that particular model on TFT Central, but since you're solely operating in the Adobe RGB world I'm fairly confident in saying there are some better panels out there in that price range (or a bit of an increase from getting rid of all the fans :D)  There were some screaming deals on the PB278Q, not sure if they're still around, but I swear by this thing.

I have already purchased most of the pc and some lower end hardware but am currently doing an upgrade from it. Here is a list of the parts I have purchased and parts I am planning on buying http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brentfisher71/saved/xL8p99, and I will definitely take into account what you stated about the monitor thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Brentfisher71 said:

I have already purchased most of the pc and some lower end hardware but am currently doing an upgrade from it. Here is a list of the parts I have purchased and parts I am planning on buying http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Brentfisher71/saved/xL8p99, and I will definitely take into account what you stated about the monitor thank you. 

everything with "overridden" is not purchased?

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

1 minute ago, runit3 said:

everything with "overridden" is not purchased?

Yes

http://pc4u.org/best-monitor-for-photo-editing-and-photography/#Best_budget_monitor_for_photo_editing_under_300

Under $300 in the last section

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CXhVsY

Knocked off all but 2 of the pretty blue fans and swapped the board for an H97. A caveat would be if you planned on running a RAID on a separate SATA controller for completed file archives (how I currently run mine). I haven't run into an H97 with controller port segregation, and since you're upgrading an existing system it would be inadvisable to swap over to RAID from AHCI. I can try to hunt down a Z97 if that's something you feel like you may need in the future, can always go the NAS route too.

Balls. Didn't notice the 960GB Sandisk as not yet purchased.

IMO it would be better to go with an additional 250GB 850EVO for your OS and all the Adobe programs, use the 120GB as a scratch/working disk, buy 2 WD 1TB drives and run them in RAID 1 for completed file storage. Not sure if that would skim under the $235 price -trying to maximize your monitor budget as sub $300 for 98%+ Adobe RGB is kind of a bitch at 27".

4 minutes ago, runit3 said:

Balls. Didn't notice the 960GB Sandisk as not yet purchased.

IMO it would be better to go with an additional 250GB 850EVO for your OS and all the Adobe programs, use the 120GB as a scratch/working disk, buy 2 WD 1TB drives and run them in RAID 1 for completed file storage. Not sure if that would skim under the $235 price -trying to maximize your monitor budget as sub $300 for 98%+ Adobe RGB is kind of a bitch at 27".

Alright thanks for helping me out man, really appreciate it. I will definitely take it all into account.