Hilariously Cheap PC

TheGhzGuy

Hello all!

I have about 100-150 dollars to spend on a computer (for Folding@home and such) so I was wondering which parts you would recommend on an ultra budget such as this one. (The budget will not change, just FYI) I already have the GPU, which is an HD6850. So yeah, let me know what you think!

Thanks!  

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Awesomesauce Network uploaded a vid on it not too long ago for $150

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

3 minutes ago, derick90 said:

Awesomesauce Network uploaded a vid on it not too long ago for $150

I feel like used parts might be a bit better though.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Q6600.

I think you can pick them up for like what, 18 dollars?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

I think you can pick them up for like what, 18 dollars?

Yep. Trying to build a decent computer myself right now for $200, so Q6600 is my savior right now.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Yep. Trying to build a decent computer myself right now for $200, so Q6600 is my savior right now.

Well if you want, here's a mobo http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5ND2-SLI-Motherboard-rev-1-03-ATX-LGA-775-/201536438146?hash=item2eec81ff82:g:~5QAAOSwxp9W3J2I

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Well definitely hello back buenos dias senor! :)

8 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Hello all!

I have about 100-150 dollars to spend on a computer (for Folding@home and such) so I was wondering which parts you would recommend on an ultra budget such as this one. (The budget will not change, just FYI) I already have the GPU, which is an HD6850. So yeah, let me know what you think!

Thanks!  

With a budget of 100-150 USD; to spread across the majority of the components like a cpu, power supply, motherboard etc I'd probably inform you to take a look at barebones style pc's. They probably have limited expansion which goes both ways depending on how you look at it, reasonable quality psu for a single decent graphics card (your mileage may vary depending on what configuration), included hard drive(s) if you don't own one yourself.

Buying a pre-built pc without the gpu could be a likely scenario but not sure if it'll be new, most likely used parts.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

1 minute ago, wng_kingsley7 said:

Well definitely hello back buenos dias senor! :)

With a budget of 100-150 USD; to spread across the majority of the components like a cpu, power supply, motherboard etc I'd probably inform you to take a look at barebones style pc's. They probably have limited expansion which goes both ways depending on how you look at it, reasonable quality psu for a single decent graphics card (your mileage may vary depending on what configuration), included hard drive(s) if you don't own one yourself.

Buying a pre-built pc without the gpu could be a likely scenario but not sure if it'll be new, most likely used parts.

What barebones style pc do you suggest? The second one is an option as well, probably less of a pain as well.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

A pc repair place nearby me sells old dell optiplex computers for cheap, an i5-2400 model for around $100. Check around and see if you can find local deals like that.

Woo!

10 hours ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Hello all!

Thanks!  

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W2Qpqs

Pretty damn cheap, new though

get a mobo/processor/cpu bundle on ebay EDIT:dang it a processor and a cpu are the same thing 

EDIT: get a mobo/cpu/ram bundle on ebay

just recently i built (or re-built i guess) an old dell optiplex with a q6600, 4gb ram, 1tb HDD, and a 750 ti for about $250 total. take away the gpu and it's 100-150. i bought a unit on craigslist for $40 with a bad cpu, no HDD, and 2gb ram. went from there and bought parts from ebay for super cheap. I ended up with a system that could play any modern game at 720p med-high settings

2 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W2Qpqs

Pretty damn cheap, new though

get a mobo/processor/cpu bundle on ebay

Cool! I'll keep it in mind!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

What barebones style pc do you suggest? The second one is an option as well, probably less of a pain as well.

Well lately from what I know there has been more of a drive for hptc barebones pc's mainly in the mini form factor style range over larger more regular sized pc's which have more attributes. With these barebones pc's some tend to come in a much smaller package & some haven't been designed to fit in a full desktop grade gpu.

I know this is a UK based website but don't worry http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Mini_Barebones_22.html

If you look through the product listing you'll see what kind of barebones pc's the market currently offers (it may or may not be up to date imo Sorry)

If I can find a barebones for $150 dollars I'll be sure to post but depends where you buy it online.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

1 minute ago, Emeryy said:

just recently i built (or re-built i guess) an old dell optiplex with a q6600, 4gb ram, 1tb HDD, and a 750 ti for about $250 total. take away the gpu and it's 100-150. i bought a unit on craigslist for $40 with a bad cpu, no HDD, and 2gb ram. went from there and bought parts from ebay for super cheap. I ended up with a system that could play any modern game at 720p med-high settings

I guess I'll have to look around some. I know of a few places around where I live that have old desktops

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Well lately from what I know there has been more of a drive for hptc barebones pc's mainly in the mini form factor style range over larger more regular sized pc's which have more attributes. With these barebones pc's some tend to come in a much smaller package & some haven't been designed to fit in a full desktop grade gpu.

I know this is a UK based website but don't worry http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Mini_Barebones_22.html

If you look through the product listing you'll see what kind of barebones pc's the market currently offers (it may or may not be up to date imo Sorry)

If I can find a barebones for $150 dollars I'll be sure to post but depends where you buy it online.

Thank you!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You mean heater if your running f@h.

I don't care too much xD

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

@TheGhzGuy What are you currently using? A desktop pc or a laptop? or maybe even a tablet. If you want to invest into f@h I wouldn't ever say don't buy a cheap pc & boom your settle but if you save a little longer & spend a bit more on a computer more powerful it maybe be more than worth your while.

Just now, wng_kingsley7 said:

@TheGhzGuy What are you currently using? A desktop pc or a laptop? or maybe even a tablet. If you want to invest into f@h I wouldn't ever say don't buy a cheap pc & boom your settle but if you save a little longer & spend a bit more on a computer more powerful it maybe be more than worth your while.

Currently, I have an old laptop lying around, and a smartphone doing BIONC (Very slowly, but it does it) I was just curious because I had some of the hardware lying around. (And I just found a OC for 65 dollars on Craigslist)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

If you take a look on newegg.com under; all products > desktop computers > desktop computers (Newegg site < here). You can pretty much allocate certain tiers of performance/features for what kind of pc you want (similar to what pcpartpicker.com does) Then you can search through the query to find the one best for you budget, need & performance. I did scan over a couple of the products & they're all fairly inexpensive but I wouldn't guarantee that you'll always be using it for F@H since they aren't all that powerful at the budget of 150 dollars in all reality, more oriented around general usage of a desktop office pc. Word processor, surfing the web etc.

I'd say at the moment save your dollars for now is my best advice for now.

If you take a look on newegg.com under; all products > desktop computers > desktop computers (Newegg site < here). You can pretty much allocate certain tiers of performance/features for what kind of pc you want (similar to what pcpartpicker.com does) Then you can search through the query to find the one best for you budget, need & performance. I did scan over a couple of the products & they're all fairly inexpensive but I wouldn't guarantee that you'll always be using it for F@H since they aren't all that powerful at the budget of 150 dollars in all reality, more oriented around general usage of a desktop office pc. Word processor, surfing the web etc.

I'd say at the moment save your dollars for now.

Alright then, thanks for the help!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

10 hours ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Cool! I'll keep it in mind!

you could also try a NUC barebones pc bit more expensive though

just go on craigslist and get some cheap dell tower for 50$ plenty where i live