The REAL cost of building a Gaming PC/buying a high end GPU

Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well you dont incorporate the cost of a $4000 tv with a console, so....yeah

everyone uses whatever they want, a $10 tv or a $4000 tv

That's why I said "where/when applicable". ;) 

For someone getting into PC gaming for the first time and wants to use a monitor instead of their TV, but doesn't have one - they will have to incorporate that cost into their budget for the build.  

@TheNelsonsVlog

Well I said 99% of all PC users don't need high refresh rate monitors, not gamers. Gamers that care about things like that are too small of a market-for now.

Of course I am not against this; I very much wish this status quo would be challenged somewhat. 

Also, I might be biased here, but I would much rather see people buying IPS displays than those 2 ms response time Gsyncs, since IPSs are better in most situations IMO. 

Of course I can't judge people if they wish to not use a powerful GPU to have a better monitor. It's how they wish to use their money. As you say, 1080p gaming is doable on the cheap, if with some compromise. 

In an ideal world, everyone would have a monitor that would fit the power of their setup.

P.S. I have either never had any issues with screen tearing or I am blind as a bat. Or maybe I don't play the right games. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

6 hours ago, Noire said:

If you can afford a $350 PC it'll outperform a console. 

Not exactly hard, consoles don't have much going for them. 

Still pretty true today... Anyways I dislike PCMR and Console Peasants enjoy your platform and whatever games it does or doesn't have. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I agree. PC gaming is superior but it does come at a cost. If you're on a budget however, its best to get a console. What are they like $350 and they include bundled stuff? Great way to get into gaming.

32 minutes ago, wcreek said:

-

How can you use this forum and dislike PCMR. 

21 minutes ago, Noire said:

How can you use this forum and dislike PCMR. 

Very carefully I suppose. It's not like I'm rooting for consoles either. xD

I do like PC gaming though, because like World of Warcraft. It is so meant for keyboard and mouse. I guess I agree with PCMR on certain things but yeah like the flexibility of PCs which is pretty nice.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Of course, it dont matter how high end you pc is, if your monitor is not up to par.

To put it into perspective, so would it be like gaming with a PS4 on an old CRT TV.

Which is why I went with the crazy/deluxe version and got 5 27" monitors, for a 7200x2560 (or 4320x2560 when I need 16:9) gaming experience.

P1020280.thumb.JPG.c27ecb815a986e2d8eb3f

multi-monitor is not my cup of tea anymore.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

While its not necessary to Game on a 800$ Monitor i can say i dont want miss it anymore.

It makes no sence to buy a 980Ti and than use a Display that cant take any advantages of it.

Peripherals are the same. I spend much Money on Keyboard/Mouse ect. It adds alot to the overall experience.

While its possible to build a 500$ Gaming PC, for my demands it would be unrealistic.

Of course pay 1600$ on a GPU and Monitor alone sounds stupid for some People, but i spend so much Time infront this thing. Why safe Money for something this important to me?

But my point of view in case of Money is different to many People i know. I dont stockpile Money. When I have it, i spend it. Who knows what is tomorrow.

But i have some "red lines" 1400$ for the x34 was a bit over the top for me. 

PC gaming is awesome, but to get the premium experience, you have to pay alot of money.

And Console Gaming, well...

A Friend of mine has a PS4 and i have to control myself very hard not to point with my Finger and laugh out loud every time. Okok...i did and do it xD

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

While its not necessary to Game on a 800$ Monitor i can say i dont want miss it anymore.

It makes no sence to buy a 980Ti and than use a Display that cant take any advantages of it.

Peripherals are the same. I spend much Money on Keyboard/Mouse ect. It adds alot to the overall experience.

While its possible to build a 500$ Gaming PC, for my demands it would be unrealistic.

Of course pay 1600$ on a GPU and Monitor alone sounds stupid for some People, but i spend so much Time infront this thing. Why safe Money for something this important to me?

But my point of view in case of Money is different to many People i know. I dont stockpile Money. When I have it, i spend it. Who knows what is tomorrow.

But i have some "red lines" 1400$ for the x34 was a bit over the top for me. 

PC gaming is awesome, but to get the premium experience, you have to pay alot of money.

And Console Gaming, well...

A Friend of mine has a PS4 and i have to control myself very hard not to point with my Finger and laugh out loud every time. Okok...i did and do it xD

This guy! ? You get it! 

James Nelson

PC Hobbiest - Reviewer

Twitter - www.twitter.com/jamesnelsontnv

Youtube - www.youtube.com/NelsonGameTv 

Some can live with gaming on any old PC Monitor or HDTV. I used to be one of those gamers. I'd go nuts on the system, and just output to 1080p. Well I went big with the ROG Swift PG279Q, and I can't ever go back. Of course this also locks me into buying the highest end GPU to push frames out at 1440p, but I'm fine with that. I'm the type that gets so easily distracted by screen tearing and stuttering that it makes the experience miserable for me. The PG279Q is easily the favorite part of my build.

Having a high end gaming monitor IS a luxury, but as Ferris Buehler says "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
GPU: MSI 980Ti Twin Frozr C/M:1470/7500
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5Ghz
Case: Corsair 750D
Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red
Mouse: Logitech G70 Spectrum
Headset: Corsair Void

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz

If you are real gamer you have both, PC and console (at least one of them), as there are some exclusive titles not available on every system. 

I don't think you have to include everything for total cost, since you need things like monitor in both cases. And you can go from really cheap to really expensive in both cases. So basically when you buy console you get console itself and controller, which in PC it means needed components and peripherals (keyboard + mouse or controller if you plan to use it like console). Speakers are something that you can or cannot count in total cost, as you can play on monitor speakers (probably not because of bad quality but still), as you can upgrade speakers for your TV + console set. 

One important factor in the end is operating system, which is not free. 

Edited by dejanmarolt
Added operating system as a factor in total cost.

2 hours ago, dejanmarolt said:

If you are real gamer you have both, PC and console ...

I rather be not a "real" Gamer than.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO