Mouse and Mousepad Maintenance Help

Slimyhead

Hello there. As the title says, I need help for cleaning my gaming mouse (Razer Deathadder 3.5G 3500DPI max), my mousepad (a Razer Kabuto)

List of Issues:

- Mouse : -Cleaning the Rubber coating safely(without damaging the surface) while maintaining the grip. I know how to clean the side plastics.

-Removing dust and grime stuck on my scroll wheel and between the plastics, switches and the rubber bottom part. (Not sure how to exactly call it apart from "gap")

(Main drag is that I don't want to remove the mouse feet as I can't buy (Forget buy. More like "can't find") direct replacements for it in Chennai, India(I Live here). 

So I want to keep using the current ones. If I can, I would look into it. Has to be cheap and effective though so I can pass this mouse to my relatives if they want in the future while                       I get a new one) 

-Mousepad: I tried looking online for cleaning these things but could not find one for my mousepad in particular apart from the Goliathus mouse pad (I use a Razer Kabuto cloth mouse pad)

Last time I tried cleaning mine, I just simply used water. Is it fine or I can/should also use detergents like mild soap? 

7 minutes ago, Slimyhead said:

Hello there. As the title says, I need help for cleaning my gaming mouse (Razer Deathadder 3.5G 3500DPI max), my mousepad (a Razer Kabuto)

List of Issues:

- Mouse : -Cleaning the Rubber coating safely(without damaging the surface) while maintaining the grip. I know how to clean the side plastics.

-Removing dust and grime stuck on my scroll wheel and between the plastics, switches and the rubber bottom part. (Not sure how to exactly call it apart from "gap")

(Main drag is that I don't want to remove the mouse feet as I can't buy (Forget buy. More like "can't find") direct replacements for it in Chennai, India(I Live here). 

So I want to keep using the current ones. If I can, I would look into it. Has to be cheap and effective though so I can pass this mouse to my relatives if they want in the future while                       I get a new one) 

-Mousepad: I tried looking online for cleaning these things but could not find one for my mousepad in particular apart from the Goliathus mouse pad (I use a Razer Kabuto cloth mouse pad)

Last time I tried cleaning mine, I just simply used water. Is it fine or I can/should also use detergents like mild soap? 

the easiest and most effective way which i personally use, is to use wet soft cloth.

thats it. simply take a clean soft cloth and just wet it from one corner. rub it on the mouse anywhere where u think its dirty. apply some force if the stains are too much, like finger or cheetos oil ;)

BUT remember that the wet cloth should not be dripping with water. it should only be wet and not dripping wet. like baby wipes or wet towels.

same goes for the mouse pad. but here u can wet the cloth a little more. but u would have to rub with more force here. 

just rub it over the pad where ever there are spots of may be drinks or cup that u placed on ur pad or whatever, after cleaning my recommendation is to put it under direct sunlight for like 5 mins, it kills most of bad germs and also helps dry out the water if any got soaked in the pad. dont put it more than that though.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Thanks :) . Now I just need to find a way to clean the dust beneath the rubber at the switches area. My laptop Vaccum cleaner didn't help out with that. 

3 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

the easiest and most effective way which i personally use, is to use wet soft cloth.

thats it. simply take a clean soft cloth and just wet it from one corner. rub it on the mouse anywhere where u think its dirty. apply some force if the stains are too much, like finger or cheetos oil ;)

BUT remember that the wet cloth should not be dripping with water. it should only be wet and not dripping wet. like baby wipes or wet towels.

same goes for the mouse pad. but here u can wet the cloth a little more. but u would have to rub with more force here. 

just rub it over the pad where ever there are spots of may be drinks or cup that u placed on ur pad or whatever, after cleaning my recommendation is to put it under direct sunlight for like 5 mins, it kills most of bad germs and also helps dry out the water if any got soaked in the pad. dont put it more than that though.

5 hours ago, Slimyhead said:
  • - Mouse :
    • Cleaning the Rubber coating safely(without damaging the surface) while maintaining the grip. I know how to clean the side plastics
    • Removing dust and grime stuck on my scroll wheel and between the plastics, switches and the rubber bottom part. (Not sure how to exactly call it apart from "gap")
  • -Mousepad: I tried looking online for cleaning these things but could not find one for my mousepad in particular apart from the Goliathus mouse pad (I use a Razer Kabuto cloth mouse pad)

For the mouse: Start by wiping it with a microfiber cloth. If that's not enough, you can use a damp cloth, just unplug the mouse and make sure the cloth isn't dripping any water. Do not use alcohol, I have seen people who did that and ended up with the coating rubbed off. As for stuff between the plastics, the best thing would be to remove the mousefeet and open the mouse. If that's not an option, you can use just spray some canned air between the cracks.

For the mousepad: Use a damp cloth, just like with the mouse. Just make sure that the water isn't warm, as that can affect the glue. Once you've done that, leave the mousepad to dry until the surface is completely dried. Do not use heat (e.g. a hair dryer) to speed up the process, as that might affect the glue. I wouldn't use a strong cleaning agent, as that might affect the colour of the pad, leaving you with bleached patches. Remember, the surface is cloth so anything that you wouldn't use on your clothes, do not use with your mousepad.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.