AMD Kaveri APU Arriving For Desktop PCs in Q4 2013

skitz9417

Update – Thanks to our German reader, we now know that AMD was using the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality set to demonstrated their Kaveri APU graphics capabilities.

AMD has officially confirmed that their fourth generation Kaveri APU would be headed to desktop PCs in 2013. It was previously reported that Kaveri APUs might have been postponed till 2014 however the desktop APUs arrive officially in 2013.

Kaveri-APU-635x363.jpg

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-arriving-desktop-pcs-q4-2013-kaveri-graphics-demonstrated-virtual-reality-tech/#ixzz2euA9LlPQ

and heres a little bit of info

AMD recently had a press conference where they detailed their next generation Steamroller, Jaguar + and ARM based embedded devices. Aside from the embedded products, AMD did a small Q/A session with tech journalists where Computerbase got to ask some questions regarding any possible delays for the Kaveri APU platform.

and the source http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-arriving-desktop-pcs-q4-2013-kaveri-graphics-demonstrated-virtual-reality-tech/

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Update – Thanks to our German reader, we now know that AMD was using the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality set to demonstrated their Kaveri APU graphics capabilities.

AMD has officially confirmed that their fourth generation Kaveri APU would be headed to desktop PCs in 2013. It was previously reported that Kaveri APUs might have been postponed till 2014 however the desktop APUs arrive officially in 2013.

Kaveri-APU-635x363.jpg

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-arriving-desktop-pcs-q4-2013-kaveri-graphics-demonstrated-virtual-reality-tech/#ixzz2euA9LlPQ

and heres a little bit of info

AMD recently had a press conference where they <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://wccftech.com/amd-embedded-roadmap-2014-unveiled-radeon-hd-9000-hd-8000-equipped-apus-detailed-gcn-based-adelaar-gpu/" href="http://wccftech.com/amd-embedded-roadmap-2014-unveiled-radeon-hd-9000-hd-8000-equipped-apus-detailed-gcn-based-adelaar-gpu/" "="">detailed their next generation Steamroller, Jaguar + and ARM based embedded devices. Aside from the embedded products, AMD did a small Q/A session with tech journalists where Computerbase got to ask some questions regarding any possible delays for the Kaveri APU platform.

and the source http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-arriving-desktop-pcs-q4-2013-kaveri-graphics-demonstrated-virtual-reality-tech/

I smell profits Monday morning. 

That aside, this is sweet. :D I wonder how powerful they will be.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I smell profits Monday morning. 

That aside, this is sweet. :D I wonder how powerful they will be.

yea me too

That die looks pretty big :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Kaveri is going to be FM2+ right? I've been meaning to buy an APU for my HTPC (was going to get the A10-6800K). I wish there was an actual release date, as Q4 could mean anything from October to December. If it's in October, I'd wait, but I'm using a socket 775 Core 2 Duo with g41 chipset integrated graphics right now and it struggles with some things, and has no gaming capability. Once I get the A10 APU, I can use it as a casual gaming Steam Box with Big Picture Mode.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

yea its fm2+

I'm curious to see how much better it will actually perform than current APUs

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'm curious to see how much better it will actually perform than current APUs

dont expect anything major...

dont expect anything major...

They need to have a massive die. Bigger than socket 2011 in order for the GPU to matter in gaming.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

They need to have a massive die. Bigger than socket 2011 in order for the GPU to matter in gaming.

No, the first thing they need is faster memory... GDDR5 is the only way to use GPUs capability. DDR3/DDR4 is pure crap for gaming.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

No, the first thing they need is faster memory... GDDR5 is the only way to use GPUs capability. DDR3/DDR4 is pure crap for gaming.

That is the next step. IT would have to be on the chip or something like that. Or a socketable GDDR5 chip or something.

Hail Sithis!

That is the next step. IT would have to be on the chip or something like that. Or a socketable GDDR5 chip or something.

This. Why isn't GDDR5 PCI-e 2 x16 not a thing yet? SSD's are. They would probably be expensive at first, and so pointless for budget systems like what an APU would be in, but it's not like you'd need a terrabyte of the stuff. 1-3GB would suffice and that would be sooo small it wouldn't even matter space or cost wise.

Look at the price difference between a 3GB GPU and a 6GB GPU (when they are the same GPU, like the 7970) and it is only about $100. This should totally be a thing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This. Why isn't GDDR5 PCI-e 2 x16 not a thing yet? SSD's are. They would probably be expensive at first, and so pointless for budget systems like what an APU would be in, but it's not like you'd need a terrabyte of the stuff. 1-3GB would suffice and that would be sooo small it wouldn't even matter space or cost wise.

Look at the price difference between a 3GB GPU and a 6GB GPU (when they are the same GPU, like the 7970) and it is only about $100. This should totally be a thing.

Price of GDDR5 is really really small... GPU of 3-6GB is really irrelevant because it's only virtual pricing. In reality the price difference between 3 or 6 GB would be few dollars.

gpuq3280ufv.png

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Price of GDDR5 is really really small... GPU of 3-6GB is really irrelevant because it's only virtual pricing. In reality the price difference between 3 or 6 GB would be few dollars.

gpuq3280ufv.png

Exactly. So why is it not a thing? Think how awesome APU's would be if we could just buy a PCI-e 2 x8 or x16 card with like 3GB of VRAM in it? 

Hell, why can't we do that with dedicated GPU's too? ... I guess that would cut into people buying 6GB 7970's then. Still, there isn't a reason for it to not exist aside from that. 

Just buy a 3GB 7970 and a 3GB GDDR5 expansion card if you are running Eyefinity or 4K (God help you there). 

That'd be great for SLI setups too. 

† Christian Member †

Exactly. So why is it not a thing? Think how awesome APU's would be if we could just buy a PCI-e 2 x8 or x16 card with like 3GB of VRAM in it? 

Hell, why can't we do that with dedicated GPU's too? ... I guess that would cut into people buying 6GB 7970's then. Still, there isn't a reason for it to not exist aside from that. 

Just buy a 3GB 7970 and a 3GB GDDR5 expansion card if you are running Eyefinity or 4K (God help you there). 

That'd be great for SLI setups too. 

Short reason why: Latency.

Long reason why: Latency would kill the hell out of benefits of GDDR5. Only soldered directly on chip or there's no point really. Unless we'd have a dedicated way of attaching the GDDR5 'sticks' into the system without introducing latency.

I suppose it would be a niche product at first. But if AMD made some sort of connector and teamed up with a ram maker, then it would be possible to implement it on the FM series boards. It's a pretty interesting concept really

Hail Sithis!

I suppose it would be a niche product at first. But if AMD made some sort of connector and teamed up with a ram maker, then it would be possible to implement it on the FM series boards. It's a pretty interesting concept really

Well, AMD has RAM (AMD branded). Though they probably do not make it.

Long reason why: Latency would kill the hell out of benefits of GDDR5. Only soldered directly on chip or there's no point really. Unless we'd have a dedicated way of attaching the GDDR5 'sticks' into the system without introducing latency.

I don't see why that would matter. GDDR5 latency is already obscenely high anyway, and it still works. 

† Christian Member †

we are talking about ns. not ms.

why not just  soldering 2 GBs of vram to the left of the APU socket or something? yeah it might increase the cost of the mobos by like 10-20 bucks, but performance would sky rocket. You could still have your power delivery on the top of the board. and then you can then save money buy getting low end RAM so effectively you still pay about the same amount. Instead of spending an extra 20-30 bucks on higher speed ram you just spend about 20 on a MOBO with 2-3 GBs of VRAM which for entry level gaming is more then enough for 1080p and you get better performance. Soooo why isn't this a thing? 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Going along with the GDDR5 discussion, they could solder some GDDR5 to the motherboard. A dedicated dimm type slot for GDDR5 graphics memory that had a direct link to the APU would be a snazzy idea too.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Going along with the GDDR5 discussion, they could solder some GDDR5 to the motherboard. A dedicated dimm type slot for GDDR5 graphics memory that had a direct link to the APU would be a snazzy idea too.

That is basically what he said. -V Though the dedicated DIMM Slot for GDDR5 is a good idea that he did not mention. I like it. Though it would probably make the cost of having GDDR5 RAM go up though. On a GPU, it is like $20-$50 for 3GB. I do not think it would be even close to that price if they were DIMM Sticks.

why not just  soldering 2 GBs of vram to the left of the APU socket or something? yeah it might increase the cost of the mobos by like 10-20 bucks, but performance would sky rocket. You could still have your power delivery on the top of the board. and then you can then save money buy getting low end RAM so effectively you still pay about the same amount. Instead of spending an extra 20-30 bucks on higher speed ram you just spend about 20 on a MOBO with 2-3 GBs of VRAM which for entry level gaming is more then enough for 1080p and you get better performance. Soooo why isn't this a thing? 

† Christian Member †