IPS vs TN

Mikealongo
Go to solution Solved by maremp,
4 hours ago, Mikealongo said:

Im going to buy the pg278q, the TN one, because im actually using ona that cost me 100€ and i guess that the pg278q will have better colors than that one; and because now i know about the bleeding issues if i buy the ips one I'll be always afraid of that! xD (And i can save 190€ for something else xD)

its a good choice/arguments?

Know that light bleeding is issue with all IPS panels, in my opinion it's largely overrated and there are rare cases when this is a reasonable arguments against IPS. It's accounted in the color calibration and that's not going to affect the colors, other than maybe some of the very dark color shades. If you want to save 190€, then sure, I bet you'll love pg278q just the same, when used for gaming, they still produce good image quality.

It's obvious that everyone prefers IPS against TN, but i want to know if it worth the extra 190€ (wich is the difference between the rog swift pg279q and the rog swift pg278q.

Now im using a 22" 1080p tn 60Hz so im going to se a improve whatever option i choose

What option should i choose? 

If you really want less response time, go with the tn one, but if you prefer better color, contrast and viewing angles go with the ips but you get bigger response time.

1 minute ago, LeonHaker said:

If you really want less response time, go with the tn one, but if you prefer better color, contrast and viewing angles go with the ips but you get bigger response time.

Yes, i know that, and i prefer the better color, but it cost 190€ more and i assume that even that tn panel will have better colours than mine xD

But should i pay the extra 190€ or save for the future (pascal or add another 980)

I use both styles on a regular basis - particularly a 144Hz TN panel, and I would say that if you don't care about anything higher than 60FPS, a IPS panel will work fine, and of course you get the better color reproduction. I have gamed with my IPS panel, and didn't really have a problem with it.

My IPS panel is an LG IPS234.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you don't want to spend 190e for ips, find something cheaper if you can. But i would pay 190e more for ips panel.

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I use both styles on a regular basis - particularly a 144Hz TN panel, and I would say that if you don't care about anything higher than 60FPS, a IPS panel will work fine, and of course you get the better color reproduction. I have gamed with my IPS panel, and didn't really have a problem with it.

My IPS panel is an LG IPS234.

7 minutes ago, LeonHaker said:

If you don't want to spend 190e for ips, find something cheaper if you can. But i would pay 190e more for ips panel.

The main reason of why im asking is because i just have like 880€ to spend and the pg279q costs 855, is there an Acer predator one XB270HU that its almost the same but a little bit cheaper and another acers that don't look that gaming oriented (aesthetic) even cheaper XB270HU, but i won't be able to find 

If you care how the colors look on your screen, especially if you are doing some content creation, I would recommend IPS, if you can afford it. And brace yourself for comments such as "how do you like your backlight bleed brah?" :D I don't want to scare you, I don't think it's as terrible as some people are saying, especially with quality displays within the price range you are targeting.

48 minutes ago, maremp said:

If you care how the colors look on your screen, especially if you are doing some content creation, I would recommend IPS, if you can afford it. And brace yourself for comments such as "how do you like your backlight bleed brah?" :D I don't want to scare you, I don't think it's as terrible as some people are saying, especially with quality displays within the price range you are targeting.

Yeah thats another thing, i heard about the backlight problems... 

No, in my case i dont do any content creation, i want the IPS just because it looks better than tn, but i dont know if i want it like 190€ more hahahah

41 minutes ago, Mikealongo said:

Yeah thats another thing, i heard about the backlight problems... 

No, in my case i dont do any content creation, i want the IPS just because it looks better than tn, but i dont know if i want it like 190€ more hahahah

Unless you buy a crappy monitor, which is not true for the panels Asus is using, you are fine. You might find it on completely black screen if you look for it really hard. About spending extra just to get IPS, that's on you. I know that my next display, which I'll be buying in this month, is definitely going to have an IPS panel. 

From my experience, a high quality IPS panel is a better overall choice for gaming. I bought an Asus mg279q on black friday (got a decent deal, 499€) 

The color reproduction and contrast are sooooooo much better on it than my old Benq E2400HD and I haven't really noticed any sort of ghosting.

Do not feed.

4 hours ago, maremp said:

Unless you buy a crappy monitor, which is not true for the panels Asus is using, you are fine. You might find it on completely black screen if you look for it really hard. About spending extra just to get IPS, that's on you. I know that my next display, which I'll be buying in this month, is definitely going to have an IPS panel. 

I can definitely see bleeding on my LG panel, and the significance of the issue is dependent on the user's case scenario - that is, it depends on if they use it for gaming, or watching movies where dark scenes are common. That will be an immersion killer to me because they'll see this white light bleeding out of the panel. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

37 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I can definitely see bleeding on my LG panel, and the significance of the issue is dependent on the user's case scenario - that is, it depends on if they use it for gaming, or watching movies where dark scenes are common. That will be an immersion killer to me because they'll see this white light bleeding out of the panel. 

2 hours ago, TheWoollyMammoth said:

From my experience, a high quality IPS panel is a better overall choice for gaming. I bought an Asus mg279q on black friday (got a decent deal, 499€) 

The color reproduction and contrast are sooooooo much better on it than my old Benq E2400HD and I haven't really noticed any sort of ghosting.

4 hours ago, maremp said:

Thats a problem on all the IPS panels isnt?

I think that i have 4 options

1. IPS, 144+ Hz, G-sync

2. IPS 60 Hz

3. TN 144+ Hz, G-sync

4. TN 60 Hz

(The 60 Hz is because im going to use a single 980 for a while, and the 144+ Hz because its futureproof just in case i upgrade to pascal or SLI)

(I think, correct me if im wrong, that g-sync if i play, lets say the witcher 3, and frames drops to 35-40 fps g-sync will provide a smoother experience that the one without g-sync)

(The decision between IPS and TN, the use of the PC in my case is mainly gaming, but i really like crisp colors xD )

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Depends from person to person. You can find faults in everything, if you look hard enough. That bleed is probably visible for like 1% of the time where the screen colors are dark enough to notice, the rest of the time you have an amazing image quality that can't compare to TN. I agree that this seems unacceptable when buying $700+ panel, but with some research or reading first few reviews, you know what you're buying and if you are a person who can be bothered by this and honestly think it's "immersion killer", I guess it's not the option to go with. 

31 minutes ago, maremp said:

Depends from person to person. You can find faults in everything, if you look hard enough. That bleed is probably visible for like 1% of the time where the screen colors are dark enough to notice, the rest of the time you have an amazing image quality that can't compare to TN. I agree that this seems unacceptable when buying $700+ panel, but with some research or reading first few reviews, you know what you're buying and if you are a person who can be bothered by this and honestly think it's "immersion killer", I guess it's not the option to go with. 

Yes, nothing is perfect. As an Inspector for a military electronics company, I understand that nothing is perfect and you will encounter issues in some form or another. That being said, like you said, it does depend on the person and how picky they are about things. They may never notice the bleeding and admittedly, I only notice it in certain areas. Otherwise, it's a decent panel for the cost. 

10 hours ago, maremp said:

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yes, nothing is perfect. As an Inspector for a military electronics company, I understand that nothing is perfect and you will encounter issues in some form or another. That being said, like you said, it does depend on the person and how picky they are about things. They may never notice the bleeding and admittedly, I only notice it in certain areas. Otherwise, it's a decent panel for the cost. 

Im going to buy the pg278q, the TN one, because im actually using ona that cost me 100€ and i guess that the pg278q will have better colors than that one; and because now i know about the bleeding issues if i buy the ips one I'll be always afraid of that! xD (And i can save 190€ for something else xD)

4 hours ago, Mikealongo said:

Know that light bleeding is issue with all IPS panels, in my opinion it's largely overrated and there are rare cases when this is a reasonable arguments against IPS. It's accounted in the color calibration and that's not going to affect the colors, other than maybe some of the very dark color shades. If you want to save 190€, then sure, I bet you'll love pg278q just the same, when used for gaming, they still produce good image quality.