CLR??

So I bought some liquid cooling supplies from a guy on /r/Hardwareswap and he threw in some free compression fittings but they have some buildup and corrosion and I was wondering if I removed the O-ring would it be ok to give them a CLR bath.  Any info is helpful thanks.

sure just make sure they fit perfectly when youre putting them back together

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

sure just make sure they fit perfectly when youre putting them back together

Will it damage the size by too much of a degree also how do I ensure that there is no CLR residue on them that will enter my loop.  Is an alcohol bath the best bet to ensure no CLR residue remains?

4 minutes ago, nomonater said:

Will it damage the size by too much of a degree also how do I ensure that there is no CLR residue on them that will enter my loop.  Is an alcohol bath the best bet to ensure no CLR residue remains?

Pure CLR will eat away the metal I wouldn't suggest to do that especially if they are plated or painted. It would be better to manually clean them off or use isopropyl or go to something more aggressive like acetone if needed.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Pure CLR will eat away the metal I wouldn't suggest to do that especially if they are plated or painted. It would be better to manually clean them off or use isopropyl or go to something more aggressive like acetone if needed.

Okay, they have a little bit of rust and some type of bio buildup what about an abrasive brush and some type of solvent.  Also, these things are getting a new coat of paint because they need to be black.  How much help will a pure 99% alcohol bath do?

1 minute ago, nomonater said:

Okay, they have a little bit of rust and some type of bio buildup what about an abrasive brush and some type of solvent.  Also, these things are getting a new coat of paint because they need to be black.  How much help will a pure 99% alcohol bath do?

If they are getting painting using a metal wire brush to clean off the oxidation and cleaning them isn't a problem but I would not suggest to do that on the interior side of the fittings where the fluid will touch the paint. That should be left ordinal and cleaned off if there is a residue, what fittings are they exactly most will do well with some metal polish if they are plated. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

If they are getting painting using a metal wire brush to clean off the oxidation and cleaning them isn't a problem but I would not suggest to do that on the interior side of the fittings where the fluid will touch the paint. That should be left ordinal and cleaned off if there is a residue, what fittings are they exactly most will do well with some metal polish if they are plated. 

I wasnt given a name cus the dude didnt know but the have BP on them so I assume they are Bits Power and they are chrome 

1 minute ago, nomonater said:

I wasnt given a name cus the dude didnt know but the have BP on them so I assume they are Bits Power and they are chrome 

Ok you can paint the compression rings easily enough without any problems but for the actual barb I would just clean it up using some non abrasive metal polish which will take off any oxidation and residue on the metal surface. If they are heavily corroded however due to an issue from beforehand then they might be toast. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ok you can paint the compression rings easily enough without any problems but for the actual barb I would just clean it up using some non abrasive metal polish which will take off any oxidation and residue on the metal surface. If they are heavily corroded however due to an issue from beforehand then they might be toast. 

Yeah I dont think this guy used PT nuke or anything cus I just finished taking apart the block and it has the same bio residue and still had the water he was using.  Plus his tubing doesnt have that bluish tinge from pt nuke

2 minutes ago, nomonater said:

Yeah I dont think this guy used PT nuke or anything cus I just finished taking apart the block and it has the same bio residue and still had the water he was using.  Plus his tubing doesnt have that bluish tinge from pt nuke

Do you have a photo of the fitting it will be easier to determine what up with them from the sounds of things if its just some stuff on the surface it should come off fairly easily. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Do you have a photo of the fitting it will be easier to determine what up with them from the sounds of things if its just some stuff on the surface it should come off fairly easily. 

I can snap a few real quick.

29 minutes ago, nomonater said:

-PICS-

Yeah those look like the metal plating has been completely corroded through and is into the brass basemetal. I would suggest to use a wire brush and try and remove as much of possible until you get down into clean shiny metal.