USB Tethering fatser than LAN !!!

LawrenceBarnes2013

So here's the deal, last night i was messing with my phone and my computer, i usually use my phone's 3G on my PC when my Home internet is down, fair enough, now, LAN should be faster than WiFi, correct me if i'm wrong, i use some D-Link networking card on my pc and i have a 100Mbs/s internet connection, i connected my phone to my home network over WiFi, connected it to my PC via USB 2.0, unabled tethering and there it was, transfer speed using USB tethering at 425Mbs/s, i did a SpeedTest test and again my ping improved, down and up speeds improver (by something like 25% ish) so what is this, or is my phone over USB 2.0 able to handle higher speeds than my Lan card ??

To the right is my Lan connection, to the left is the USB Tethering 

Capture.PNG.e814ecefb796c28e0614d3f843fa

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes that USB connection is faster than 100Mbit LAN.

I don't see anything wrong here.

I see, i always thought that LAN was the fastest that's all 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

What is faster than what depends on what your using.... USB is pretty damn fast in relation to network and internet speeds and 100Mb/s isn't that quick when talking about lan and wifi (again depending on version) can also easily beat 100Mb/s lan.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

What is faster than what depends on what your using.... USB is pretty damn fast in relation to network and internet speeds and 100Mb/s isn't that quick when talking about lan and wifi (again depending on version) can also easily beat 100Mb/s lan.

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes that USB connection is faster than 100Mbit LAN.

I don't see anything wrong here.

It isn't going to matter unless your internet line exceeds 100Mbit

Alright. One more question, i know Bridging theme together wont make that much of a difference, never tried it but as far as i know, the sys will be alternating between theme, not using theme at the same time, i also know that there are no magic tricks to making your internet faster, you get what you pay for, but i read that setting two connection to the same metric manually have somewhat an effect, is that true ??

8 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

I see, i always thought that LAN was the fastest that's all 

Internet speeds run by Mega bit, USB transfers run by Mega Byte.

Theres a 8x difference in that :D.

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

Internet speeds run by Mega bit, USB transfers run by Mega Byte.

Theres a 8x difference in that :D.

Thought so just had to be sure ;) 

Don't expect anything you do to increase you Internet speed.. It will only run as fast as your line, router and network load of your provider will allow.

3G and 4G is actually quite fast, yes, and rather then limiting the transfer speed like your home network line is, it is limited by how much data you use per month. If you're alone on a 3G/4G access point, you should be abled to use all the bandwidth available to that access point, which I don't believe is limited by any other means than what the technology is capable of.

Don't expect anything you do to increase you Internet speed.. It will only run as fast as your line, router and network load of your provider will allow.

Yep, watched that one, got lost with all the Anthony :P . one thing i still son't fully understand is why the f won't the network usage go above 1%, i read it's down to the adapter not being able to handle the full line speed, is that true ??

Just now, Tosa said:

3G and 4G is actually quite fast, yes, and rather then limiting the transfer speed like your home network line is, it is limited by how much data you use per month. If you're alone on a 3G/4G access point, you should be abled to use all the bandwidth available to that access point, which I don't believe is limited by any other means than what the technology is capable of.

Yeah every time i use 3G let alone 4G, there is a difference, huge. But in this case my phone is connected to my home WiFi to the same router connected to my computer Via LAN 

Try speedtest or a LARGE (unrestricted speed) download (steams quite good at maxing the bandwidth usually)

1% network usage isn't an issue unless your getting bad download / transfer speeds.

Just now, Dzzope said:

Try speedtest or a LARGE (unrestricted speed) download (steams quite good at maxing the bandwidth usually)

1% network usage isn't an issue unless your getting bad download / transfer speeds.

Oh yeah, Steam used to peak at around 125KB/s over LAN, now downloading PAYDAY 2, it peaked at 225KB/s, but it was weired because it only did in the beginning than droped to about 100KB/s, weired.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Yeah every time i use 3G let alone 4G, there is a difference, huge. But in this case my phone is connected to my home WiFi to the same router connected to my computer Via LAN 

Oh, and you usually use an ethernet cable? Is it going through a switch? Is the cable in a good condition?

3 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Oh, and you usually use an ethernet cable? Is it going through a switch? Is the cable in a good condition?

Nah, no switch, router to adapter, cable is pristine condition, but we've already established that yes, USB is faster than LAN ;) 

Just now, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Nah, no switch router to adapter, cable is pristine condition, but we've already established that yes, USB is faster than LAN ;) 

I'm getting 1 Gbps through my LAN connection through two switches between my new and 7 year old computer and using the onboard NIC on the motherboard on both computers.

1GbpsEthernet.png.f8ea0022d6311dadb6a566

Yea but you should be getting WAY more than 225 - 100 KB/s Are you sure thats not Mb/s?

1 minute ago, Tosa said:

I'm getting 1 Gbps through my LAN connection through two switches between my new and 7 year old computer and using the onboard NIC on the motherboard on both computers.

Congratulations... Your point?

1 minute ago, Tosa said:

1GbpsEthernet.png.f8ea0022d6311dadb6a566

I was thinking about a switch for quite some time now but just din't know what to get, and honestly how to set it up or even the requirements for a switch 

6 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Yea but you should be getting WAY more than 225 - 100 KB/s Are you sure thats not Mb/s?

Nope, it's KB/s, what's wrong ??

Capture.PNG

Congratulations... Your point?

My shitty switches, mistreated cables and old hardware got 10 times the LAN connection speed compared to his cables in pristine condition and no stand-alone switches. Okay, one of my switches is actually a damn good one, with an internal speed of 15 Gbps.

I was thinking about a switch for quite some time now but just din't know what to get, and honestly how to set it up or even the requirements for a switch 

Any gigabit switch will suffice, but unless you're happy with a slight beeping noice and possibly some wireless interference, I suggest you don't pick the cheapest one.

1 minute ago, Tosa said:

Any gigabit switch will suffice, but unless you're happy with a slight beeping noice and possibly some wireless interference, I suggest you don't pick the cheapest one.

No, if i do decide to use one (witch i most likely will just for the sack of learning and just trying it)  i will pick a good one, but i still got some research to do, as i said, networking is a bit out of my field of expertise. 

No, if i do decide to use one (witch i most likely will just for the sack of learning and just trying it)  i will pick a good one, but i still got some research to do, as i said, networking is a bit out of my field of expertise. 

Then you can buy a managed switch and get a lot of room for tinkering. I guess the most important feature in managed switches is VLAN (yes, with a single V: Virtual Local Area Network) which can split the ports on the switch into seperate networks, and these settings can be copied over to another such switch and those virtual networks can cross between those switches - through one cable.

On 3/5/2016 at 2:23 PM, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Nope, it's KB/s, what's wrong ??

Capture.PNG

If you have 100Mb line from your ISP you should be maxing out at about 10-12 MB/s Thats 50 times as fast... 200KB is around 2Mb line so from what you've said it sounds like your getting around 2-3Mb connection.

You have some problem either with your line, router, cables or your computer.. This could be configuration issue or hardware..

On 3/6/2016 at 8:34 PM, Dzzope said:

If you have 100Mb line from your ISP you should be maxing out at about 10-12 MB/s Thats 50 times as fast... 200KB is around 2Mb line so from what you've said it sounds like your getting around 2-3Mb connection.

You have some problem either with your line, router, cables or your computer.. This could be configuration issue or hardware..

That's the thing be cause as i said, my network usage is sitting at <1%  witch only matches what you just said. 

-Is there a way to increase the usage ?

-What diagnosis should i run to find the problem ?