Some Microphone Recommendation?

Willie Xia

So I've been using the Blue Yeti for a while and the sound is terrific, but it doesn't sound good when recording instruments like a cello or piano. My friend wants my Yeti, so this is the time I decide on a new microphone, but don't want to go overboard with the budget (I'm willing to spend $100-200 USD on the whole setup). I've been looking mostly at the AT2020 USB, as it's also a plug and play, so I wouldn't need to buy an audio interface and xlr cables, but it's $145 alone... Then I looked at the XLR version which is just $88, but I would need to spend a lot on an audio interface(Recommending a really cheap and decent one would be great) and have nothing to buy accessories... A website states that the AT2035 was really good for home recording and I found a good combo that covers everything except the audio interface for $149. It's getting a little complicated, so I'm just asking if you guys could recommend me a microphone good for vocals, talking to friends over skype while having a little reduced background noise, and recording instruments. An audio interface recommendation would be great too.

From the comparisons I've heard, the AT2020 sounds better for instruments (guitar) and the AT2035 sounded much better for vocals and lower pitched talking voices. If you just need something cheap to connect 1 XLR mic to your PC you could get a Blue Icicle ($45), it just has volume control. A Focusrite Scarlett solo ($100) or 2i2 ($150) is a good choice if you want an instrument and a mic plugged in at the same time. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack is also a great choice.

11 minutes ago, iEatBalls said:

From the comparisons I've heard, the AT2020 sounds better for instruments (guitar) and the AT2035 sounded much better for vocals and lower pitched talking voices. If you just need something cheap to connect 1 XLR mic to your PC you could get a Blue Icicle ($45), it just has volume control. A Focusrite Scarlett solo ($100) or 2i2 ($150) is a good choice if you want an instrument and a mic plugged in at the same time. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack is also a great choice.

Would the Blue Icicle support the amount of power required in a AT2035?

1 minute ago, Willie Xia said:

Would the Blue Icicle support the amount of power required in a AT2035?

Yes, it supplies 48V phantom power.