Build Recomendations

Hey Guys

I'm planning on building a new PC but i'm not to sure on what to get in terms of a CPU, I've got a GPU that i will be using but i'm not sure what CPU to base my build around.

the reason for building a new PC is so i can run more CPU intensive games like Arma 3 and planet side 2

Cheers

edit: budget is under $1500 AUD

the only thing i don't need to buy is a GPU (Geforece GTX 670)

It would help if I knew the rest of your build. Side note: Arma 3 is not very CPU intensive, I have a i7 6700k and while in a game Arma 3 only uses about 40% of my CPU. That is lower than most games I play.

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

Need a budget to work with man. Also what is the GPU? Do you already have a motherboard? Need the details.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 minutes ago, Sincostan said:

It would help if I knew the rest of your build. Side note: Arma 3 is not very CPU intensive, I have a i7 6700k and while in a game Arma 3 only uses about 40% of my CPU. That is lower than most games I play.

Arma 3 is really cpu intensive, but you happen to have the best cpu for it

3 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Arma 3 is really cpu intensive, but you happen to have the best cpu for it

I used to have a i5 4670k and it only used about 50% and I got the same frame rate. I was comparing the usage of Arma 3 compared to other game. For example: Arma 3 uses about 40% of my CPU as where as games like GTA V, Cities Skylines, ETC uses about 60% or so. Arma 3 uses less than most games.

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

to help with that you'll have to tell us what your budget is and what gpu you have in order to base the part selection and power levels upon them.

I think for you, a newer i5 would work.  Honestly, unless you're doing content creation an i7 is overkill imo

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

if you can afford a 6600k or a 6700k i would get one of those. overclocking significantly increases gaming performance. there's no doubt in my mind. my overclocked cpu performs way better than when it's set to stock