Overclocking a 6700k

Hey guys I just started phase one of my new rig and am experimenting with overclocking.

I'm currently using a H320 x2 prestige to cool my 6700k (overkill probably but its one of 2 I'm going to have put in serial to also water cool graphics cards when Pascal comes out) on an MSI Gaming M7.

Just wanted to see out there if anyone has any decent overclocks on their 6700k. The really cool overclocking spreadsheet that is posted doesn't feature any 6700ks.

Currently on hour 6 of validation for my 4.7ghz overclock at 1.36 volts using Aida64. Running about 60c. 1.35v failed at about the 3 hour mark so I'm pretty sure this will be stable. I'm thinking of pushing higher but am unsure about voltages. Some say stay under 1.4, others say 1.45 is still okay for everyday use. I do video editing and such so I can and do pin the cpu at 100% for long periods of time sometimes.

1.35v is recommended max voltage, but you can run up to 1.4 if you have lots of cooling. It is not recommended to go over that if you stress test. 4.7 is pretty good for skylake as it doesn't get as high of clocks as the devils canyon(haswell) cpu's usually.

I'm at 4.6ghz all the time, and thats just the simple Asus CPU OC program thats in the UEFI. I'm sure it's capable of more but the highest load I've seen on it during gaming is 45%. Just figure there is no reason to push it, if it's not even trying hard to do everything I do with it at the moment. Plus my NZXT x61 keeps her nice and cool at all times, it's the 390 that i wish was water cooled right now. Whatever though, plan on getting a Paschal or Polaris hybrid style when they drop...

Nice OC though...

Ya I ran the "11" setting overclock when I first started it up by accident and it was sitting at 5ghz at 1.48v. Never stress tested it though. I soon as I realized it was that high I turned it down.

My swiftech cooler is awesome. The fans stay on low during stress testing. I cant imagine if they ran full speed what the temp would be like. I know when I first started I forgot to put the cpu fan pin in and it stayed at full and holy cow does it move air. It took me a second to figure out why they were running like that.

Also is it a simple heat issue with voltage or does high voltage start to degrade things faster? Honestly I've never asked or thought about it.

The maximum Skylake CPU voltage specified by Intel is 1.52v. The maximum recommended by many reviewers is 1.45v.

Both heat and voltage(not because of the heat it causes) will degrade a CPU faster, but the degradation time is still very high. My friend had a 2500K at 1.475v, 5GHz for 2 years. That is an extremely high voltage for Sandy Bridge, now the chip needs 1.5v in order to be stable at that frequency.

Still, your CPU will not always run at the voltage specified, especially if you use Dynamic Vcore (DVID) and C-states (the voltage changes depending on the load), so degradation is probably not even worth mentioning unless you're going out of spec.