First quadcopter build - parts help

Hello,

I am doing a school project were I will build a quadcopter and write about it. I am going to build a 250 race quad. Budget ~200-250 dollar. In in the future, i want to implement FPV gear. But for now, i only want the quadcopter to fly. 

Parts: 
FC: AfroFlight Naze32 Rev 5 Acro FunFly Controller - Soldered version (Vertical Pin) 
Frame: Kim250 Pro FPV Multrotor with PCB 
Motor, ESC: MultiStar & Afro Combo Pack - 2206 Baby Beast V2 Motor and 12A Afro ESC Set of 4 CW/CCW 
Battery: MultiStar Racer Series 1400mAh 3S 40-80C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack For FPV Minis 
Prop: Gemfan 5030 Multirotor ABS Propellers Bulk Pack (10 Pairs) CW CCW (Black) 
ControllerTurnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) + Battery ZIPPY Flightmax 2500mAh Transmitter Pack (Futaba/JR) 
OtherHobbyking Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) AND 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) AND XT30 Power Connectors for 30A Continuous Applications (5 Pairs)

Questions 
1.Are these parts compatible, and what can i consider to swap out to get the best possible combination? 
2. What parts/tools I miss? 
I will buy a LiPo charger

I have a soldering iron and that is pretty much it
3. I want to install a LED tail light. How do I do that? Is it as simple as buying a 12v led strip and connect to the battery?

Thanks, 
Josef

1 hour ago, Quericoz said:

Hello,

I am doing a school project were I will build a quadcopter and write about it. I am going to build a 250 race quad. Budget ~200-250 dollar. In in the future, i want to implement FPV gear. But for now, i only want the quadcopter to fly. 

Parts: 
FC: AfroFlight Naze32 Rev 5 Acro FunFly Controller - Soldered version (Vertical Pin) 
Frame: Kim250 Pro FPV Multrotor with PCB 
Motor, ESC: MultiStar & Afro Combo Pack - 2206 Baby Beast V2 Motor and 12A Afro ESC Set of 4 CW/CCW 
Battery: MultiStar Racer Series 1400mAh 3S 40-80C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack For FPV Minis 
Prop: Gemfan 5030 Multirotor ABS Propellers Bulk Pack (10 Pairs) CW CCW (Black) 
ControllerTurnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) + Battery ZIPPY Flightmax 2500mAh Transmitter Pack (Futaba/JR) 
OtherHobbyking Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) AND 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) AND XT30 Power Connectors for 30A Continuous Applications (5 Pairs)

Questions 
1.Are these parts compatible, and what can i consider to swap out to get the best possible combination? 
2. What parts/tools I miss? 
I will buy a LiPo charger

I have a soldering iron and that is pretty much it
3. I want to install a LED tail light. How do I do that? Is it as simple as buying a 12v led strip and connect to the battery?

Thanks, 
Josef

Do your ESC's have built in BEC's?

ASU

1 hour ago, MacAlisterL said:

I hae never fit that nice of hardware into $250.

That's because it's hobbyking and OP is going to get screwed over on shipping. Getfpv.com and readymaderc.com FTW 

ASU

14 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Do your ESC's have built in BEC's?

Yep

Since I can't edit my original response for some reason, Here are my revised comments:

Do your ESC's have built in BEC's? If yes then you look good, however I would recommend getting ones without them (I got some DYS 20 amp one's without BEC's. They're great, tiny and light) and then getting a power distribution board with a built in 5v and 12v output. This gives you options for LED's and powering just about anything you could think of.

Hope that answers your questions, in the future, consider getting some higher quality motors and frame. Also you should probably get a rev6 Naze opposed to the rev5 for updated IO and components. Also if you're going to be racing, you're going to want triblade props which are going to draw more current along with the addition of a 4s battery, you're going to want 20 amps. Lastly, see if you can get away from hobby King. Their prices are great, but stock is not updated frequently, and most of their stuff comes from their main warehouse in China with hella shipping rates. 

Make ke sure you get a lipo balance charger. Also, use XT-60 power connectors not xt30. XT-60 is th standard. Lastly, stock up on props, especially if your getting polycarbonate and glass compound props. Those break very easily. Ok, I'm done. I think.

ASU

38 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Since I can't edit my original response for some reason, Here are my revised comments:

Do your ESC's have built in BEC's? If yes then you look good, however I would recommend getting ones without them (I got some DYS 20 amp one's without BEC's. They're great, tiny and light) and then getting a power distribution board with a built in 5v and 12v output. This gives you options for LED's and powering just about anything you could think of.

Hope that answers your questions, in the future, consider getting some higher quality motors and frame. Also you should probably get a rev6 Naze opposed to the rev5 for updated IO and components. Also if you're going to be racing, you're going to want triblade props which are going to draw more current along with the addition of a 4s battery, you're going to want 20 amps. Lastly, see if you can get away from hobby King. Their prices are great, but stock is not updated frequently, and most of their stuff comes from their main warehouse in China with hella shipping rates. 

Make ke sure you get a lipo balance charger. Also, use XT-60 power connectors not xt30. XT-60 is th standard. Lastly, stock up on props, especially if your getting polycarbonate and glass compound props. Those break very easily. Ok, I'm done. I think.

I thought that 2 blade props were better for lift. Sure 3 props draw more current but I don't think they produce more lift. (I might be thinking of efficiency xD) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

For the balance charger I would probably go with the turnigy accucel 6, I have it, it's quite a good charger. You might want slighter higher amped ESC's but I'm not 100% sure about that. Might want to try a range of props too, I want to get some bullnose props, more lift, perhaps a higher pitched prop, however if you're just starting out I think that 5030 are just fine, I would probably just get 6040 props if possible just to try out. Also a tip for hobby king if you stay on it long enough it will offer you a discount for the product that you're looking at., 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

2 hours ago, werto165 said:

I thought that 2 blade props were better for lift. Sure 3 props draw more current but I don't think they produce more lift. (I might be thinking of efficiency xD) 

Yeah, you're thinking efficiency. I too saw David Windestal's speech about that on Flite Test. Triblades produce more lift because there is now 50% more surface area than a 2 blade prop thus increasing lift at the sacrifice of some efficiency. For racing, you want as much lift as possible for more speed. 6S + quad blade anyone?O.o

ASU

12 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah, you're thinking efficiency. I too saw David Windestal's speech about that on Flite Test. Triblades produce more lift because there is now 50% more surface area than a 2 blade prop thus increasing lift at the sacrifice of some efficiency. For racing, you want as much lift as possible for more speed. 6S + quad blade anyone?O.o

Now that thing is called a flying death machine :D

7 hours ago, werto165 said:

Now that thing is called a flying death machine :D

I'm down, want to try it when I get a job.

ASU