Can i put a normal laptop HDD into a desktop?

hak4fun

i have a laptop drive which i want to throw in a older computer to get it working again. Can i take the normal SATA data and power and connect those to my laptop drive?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaq8Mq0JrikNGya8Df2MTQefJP3O_o7Sl5cd7yv39bFqeGVbB0 this isn't my drive but this is what the connectors look like.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

yes.
ok thanks.
Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

Sort of. If it is just a blank HDD then yes it's fine. If however you're taking a HDD out of a laptop and putting it into a system and then booting off it with the same content as when it was connected to the laptop then it's more than likely not going to work. You'd need to wipe it first and then install everything.

Sort of. If it is just a blank HDD then yes it's fine. If however you're taking a HDD out of a laptop and putting it into a system and then booting off it with the same content as when it was connected to the laptop then it's more than likely not going to work. You'd need to wipe it first and then install everything.

thats true, i assumed thats what he meant

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

it has windows vista on it right now but i don't plan on using windows vista i plan on either throwing windows 7 or ubuntu on it.

another question. do i need to swipe the drive first?

it has windows vista on it right now but i don't plan on using windows vista i plan on either throwing windows 7 or ubuntu on it. another question. do i need to swipe the drive first?

I'll assume you mean "wipe" the drive. You should wipe it (i.e. deep format it) with another computer first. You can certainlytry plugging it in and booting it. It won't harm the drive if it fails. But you will still need to format it if you want to install a new OS on it.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

yeah i mean't wipe. lol yeah i know i will have to format it before i put a OS on it. but the installer will do that for me.

yeah i mean't wipe. lol yeah i know i will have to format it before i put a OS on it. but the installer will do that for me.
Shouldn't be a problem.

Just put it in your system, boot of the OS installer CD, format your drive and install the new OS ;)