Help me decide.

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

This is looking only for video:

Keep the camera, perhaps keep your current lenses.  Buy some lighting kits to deal with shooting in low light situations.

For audio, get a Tascam DR 70D or Zoom H5 at least, record the audio on those recorders which have better preamps than inside your camera.  Use the camera audio as a scratch track for syncing in post.

Perhaps even invest in an Atomos Ninja 2.

For photography:

Keep the camera and lenses.  Perhaps invest in a flash unit and some filters.  If you need a camera bag, tripod, spare batteries and memory cards go ahead.

Become a better photographer and then figure out what additional gear (e.g. lenses) you need/want and what to upgrade/trade in.

Alright hello everyone, 

so I have so many choices on what kind of dslr+lenses and what not I should get.

I have a Canon 700D with 3 kit lenses 18-55 F3.5-5.6, a 50mm f1.8, and a 70-300mm at the moment, while the camera decent its not the best in low light and it struggles by a bit at ISO 1600

anyways, I'm not here to talk about the camera I currently own.

I have some cash to spend on some new gear, and here's what I've thought of.

(note all of the prices are converted from my own country's currency which is AED or Arab Emirate Dirham

1 - Canon 6D - 24-105 L Kit lens + Tripod + Camera bag + Extra battery + Battery grip + Cleaning kit ( COST 1600$~ ) 

2 - Canon 70D - 18-55 Kit lens + Samyang 10mm F2.8 + Rode Video mic go +  Tripod + Camera bag + Extra battery + Battery grip + Cleaning kit ( COST 1500$~ )

3 - Keep my Canon 700D - Get Samyang 10mm F2.8 + Sigma 18-35 F1.8 + Rode Video mic Pro + Extra battery + Battery grip + Cleaning kit  (COST 1550$~ )

So these are my options. 

by now you're probably asking what is he going to use this for? 

well my main use for a camera is Photography, I'll also be a recorder and an editor for my friend's youtube channel, so yeah.

I hope I made everything clear.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

This is looking only for video:

Keep the camera, perhaps keep your current lenses.  Buy some lighting kits to deal with shooting in low light situations.

For audio, get a Tascam DR 70D or Zoom H5 at least, record the audio on those recorders which have better preamps than inside your camera.  Use the camera audio as a scratch track for syncing in post.

Perhaps even invest in an Atomos Ninja 2.

For photography:

Keep the camera and lenses.  Perhaps invest in a flash unit and some filters.  If you need a camera bag, tripod, spare batteries and memory cards go ahead.

Become a better photographer and then figure out what additional gear (e.g. lenses) you need/want and what to upgrade/trade in.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

For me the lighting isn't my concern as my friend is going to get all the lighting, 

also what I mostly take photos of is landscape and astrophotography which is something I'm getting into.

as for the audio, would you recommend the Zoom H5 over the Rode video mic pro? 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

I'd go with the 70D, I've had the 700d and the 70d and would fully recommend buying the 70d for it's video and photo capabilities 

10 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

as for the audio, would you recommend the Zoom H5 over the Rode video mic pro? 

Read my previous comment, I made some edits.  You may need to refresh the page.

For astrophotography, a nice fast ultra wide angle lens sounds nice.  Perhaps a timer remote so you can set up long exposures.

For audio, I'd recommend a nice external mic + a H5 over the VideoMic any day.  The preamps and control over the audio recording with the H5 will be much better than any available in your camera and perhaps the VideoMic (if it has one).

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I'd go with the 70D, I've had the 700d and the 70d and would fully recommend buying the 70d for it's video and photo capabilities (btw, I'd wait till the 80D gets launched soon)

3 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Read my previous comment, I made some edits.  You may need to refresh the page.

For astrophotography, a nice fast ultra wide angle sounds nice.  Perhaps a timer remote so you can set up long exposures.

For audio, I'd recommend a nice external mic + a H5 over the VideoMic any day.  The preamps on the H5 will be much better than any available in your camera and perhaps the VideoMic (if it has one).

I read it

I already have a remote shutter, also I have magic lantern installed and I do use its intervals feature to do long exposure time lapses which I find very handy. 

I think I'll consider what you said and keep my camera body, and get better lenses, since they don't change much and I'll get a better body when I get better as a photographer and film maker, thank you.   

3 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

I think I'll keep my camera body, and get better lenses, since they don't change much and I'll get a better body when I get better as a photographer and film maker, thank you.   

Good plan. This will also give you more time to save up and then when you are really ready you will be able to get a more advanced camera if that's what you want.

With the recorders like the H5 or DR70D that I suggested, you should also get an external mic.  Like a RODE NTG2 or something.

Just now, ALwin said:

Good plan. This will also give you more time to save up and then when you are really ready you will be able to get a more advanced camera if that's what you want.

The thing is, my friend owns a 70D, and I've used it in photography also in video, and its a really good camera, one thing is its too heavy for my gorilla pod, but I guess thats the gorilla pod's problem, but yeah, he has a 24-70mm L F/4 on it and its an amazing combo, and the focusing system is the best from what I've tested. 

13 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

snip

So what?  Use your camera until you are ready to upgrade/expand your gear.  Right now if you're still learning the ropes of becoming a good photographer, it's not the right time to look into getting new gear.  This is Gear Acquisition Syndrome or "The Want" talking.  Once you become a better photographer, you will instinctively know what you need and will not have to come ask any of us for advice.

Better or new gear will not make you a better photographer.  Becoming a better photographer will make you a better photographer.

Some of the accessories you invest in for your current gear could be kept when you decide to get another camera in the future.

What if you buy the 70D right now and next month you meet someone who has a Canon 1D-X and a 24-70 f/2.8 L lens... are you going to now upgrade to this camera?