Grounding yourself

Matthew_EWaring

So I'm doing my first build and I'm so nervous about something going wrong. I have not bought a anti static band which I should of but it wouldn't come till next week. I'm frightened that I will end up breaking my mobo with a static charge. I know that you can touch your case to ground yourself but is there anything else such as wearing those blue surgical gloves?

i've built a few computers and all of them work alright and all i've done is touching the water tap and this i builds such as my main and secondary build (look signature) and those aren't cheap ones either. it also depends on if it's dry where you are and i would say that if you don't stand on a carpet and have the anti static wristband you should be good aslong as you don't accidently drop any part

EDIT: didn't notice you said you don't have one of those wrist bands, you should be good just make sure to ground yourself on the watertap or case or whatever. also remember your standoffs c:

Main build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD4  RAM: corsair ballistix 2400mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Asus GTX 970  PSU: corsair rm1000  SSD 1: Samsung 840evo 500gb  SSD 2: Samsung 850evo 500gb  HDD: Western Digital red 3tb  Case: Phanteks Enthoo pro M  CPU cooler: corsair h80i

Second build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD5 WIFI  RAM: G.skill 2666mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (soon to be upgraded)  PSU: corsair HX650  SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb  Case: Cooler Master 430 elite  CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

Third build

CPU: xeon x5690  MotherBoard: Evga x58 classified 4way-sli  Ram: Patriot 1600mhz 4x3gb  GPU: Asus HD6970  PSU: fractal newton r2 1000w  SSD: crucial m500 240gb  Case: Cooler Master Haf X  CPU cooler: Mega Shadow

Insert your PSU and plug it into the wall but turn it off, then insert the cord and attach to wall, turn on at wall but not in case… Now every so often touch the PSU to ground yourself, If you have your Wristband then attach it to the PSU once you have done the above steps and you won't have to worry.

4 minutes ago, Matthew_EWaring said:

So I'm doing my first build and I'm so nervous about something going wrong. I have not bought a anti static band which I should of but it wouldn't come till next week. I'm frightened that I will end up breaking my mobo with a static charge. I know that you can touch your case to ground yourself but is there anything else such as wearing those blue surgical gloves?

just don't work on a carpet and socks and don't wear some clothes that produce electricity. And touch a large piece of metal from time to time such as your case or grounded PSU or. as @ExozeGD said, your tap.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

6 minutes ago, Matthew_EWaring said:

I just touch something metal like the usb hub or CPU cooler etc, nothing has died yet and I've built 6 or more PCs for myself, friends and family.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

1 minute ago, Allshevski said:

just don't work on a carpet and socks and don't wear some clothes that produce electricity. And touch a large piece of metal from time to time such as your case or grounded PSU or. as @ExozeGD said, your tap.

Thanks so I will just remove my socks and I have a large radiator where I'm building it so I will touch that

Just now, Matthew_EWaring said:

Thanks so I will just remove my socks and I have a large radiator where I'm building it so I will touch that

You just need to touch something metal... you don't need to take socks off etc, just touch bare metal..

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Try to work in a room without carpet and don't wear socks. Just touch something metal time to time such as your case or your PSU.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

another thing you could do is wear a rubber suit :P

Main build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD4  RAM: corsair ballistix 2400mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Asus GTX 970  PSU: corsair rm1000  SSD 1: Samsung 840evo 500gb  SSD 2: Samsung 850evo 500gb  HDD: Western Digital red 3tb  Case: Phanteks Enthoo pro M  CPU cooler: corsair h80i

Second build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD5 WIFI  RAM: G.skill 2666mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (soon to be upgraded)  PSU: corsair HX650  SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb  Case: Cooler Master 430 elite  CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

Third build

CPU: xeon x5690  MotherBoard: Evga x58 classified 4way-sli  Ram: Patriot 1600mhz 4x3gb  GPU: Asus HD6970  PSU: fractal newton r2 1000w  SSD: crucial m500 240gb  Case: Cooler Master Haf X  CPU cooler: Mega Shadow

id try to build the system in the kitchen as that is where the tap water is and also most likely the kitchen area hs no carpet. if you want to take your socks off its fine. doesnt hurt to do so 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, ExozeGD said:

another thing you could do is wear a rubber suit :P

What about surgical gloves like the blue ones?

Just now, Matthew_EWaring said:

What about surgical gloves like the blue ones?

i was thinking one of these maybe https://www.google.se/search?q=nuclear+suit&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipw6rD8KLLAhXC2CwKHUsZDZMQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=oW6h9nIYfQ8OjM%3A 

but for real you should be good with just touching the tap now and then. don't worry to much

Main build

Second build

Third build

1 minute ago, ExozeGD said:

i was thinking one of these maybe https://www.google.se/search?q=nuclear+suit&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipw6rD8KLLAhXC2CwKHUsZDZMQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=oW6h9nIYfQ8OjM%3A 

but for real you should be good with just touching the tap now and then. don't worry to much

Haha, thanks for the advise :)

22 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm just going to be honest here.  Most electronics won't get damaged from ESD.  ESD is highly exaggerated due to a lack of protection in the 70s-early 2000s.  It's like people exaggerating over leaving your computer on during a storm or thermal throttling to this day when the parts have protection.  Yes, there is still a slim chance your parts can get damaged, but people exaggerate it to this day. Most cases, now, are metal.  If you just touch the case or any metal on the case you are grounded.  You can work on carpet, and ground yourself by touching the metal, as stated above.  It's just...people really exaggerate ESD.

not that I don't agree with you but I have seen some people killing their CPUs by touching pins while being static.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's the slim chance, lol.  I've touched pins before to fix them when mangled or bent.  Hasn't happened to me.

but better to prevent it before it eventually happens ;) lots of stories on this forum about killing motherboards/cpus with ESD...