Replacement for D3100

Hi! 

I've started looking around for a replacement for my Nikon D3100 as I feel like im starting to outgrow it pretty quickly now. I haven't bought in deep to the Nikon ecosystem (just the body+kit lens, as well as a old E-series 50mm prime). 

I've been eyeing the D7200 and it does seem like a good replacement, except for the fact that i would like to get in to working with video as well. And i've heard that even with the improvements Nikon cameras are still sortof sub-par for video. I've also been eyeing the Sony A7 (not the mk2) as a possible replacement. Would love some advice! 

//Bingbear

You can have a look at the sony a6300. 

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

9 hours ago, Bingbear said:

I've also been eyeing the Sony A7 (not the mk2) as a possible replacement. Would love some advice! 

Being an A7 user, i would not recommend it, and I would only bother with the mk2 cameras 

Honestly there is nothing wrong with video on nikons, especially the latest models which do a good job, though id get a ninja blade 2 as the build in codecs are very weak as I always record video on my camera with an external recorder

Honestly, what is your budget?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 2016-03-02 at 1:15 AM, Klerk said:

You can have a look at the sony a6300. 

Checked it out, and it seems quite nice, although a bit pricey. Gonna atleast wait for the reviews to roll in! 

17 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Being an A7 user, i would not recommend it, and I would only bother with the mk2 cameras 

Honestly there is nothing wrong with video on nikons, especially the latest models which do a good job, though id get a ninja blade 2 as the build in codecs are very weak as I always record video on my camera with an external recorder

Honestly, what is your budget?

Budget is around 10.000SEK roughly 1000€. D7200 can be found for around that price at the swedish retailers and online stores. The A6300 is around 500€ more, and i would prefer to spend that extra money on a lens or two! :

Edited by Bingbear
That MORE makes all the difference

You can also get the Canon 70d. It will be better for video than the D7200. It has a flip screen w/c is useful when shooting at different angles, full manual exposure control in live view (D7200 can't adjust aperture on live view). The 70D also has better autofocus in live view mode. 

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

15 hours ago, Klerk said:

You can also get the Canon 70d. It will be better for video than the D7200. It has a flip screen w/c is useful when shooting at different angles, full manual exposure control in live view (D7200 can't adjust aperture on live view). The 70D also has better autofocus in live view mode. 

Did concider going the Canon route, but wouldnt a used 5D mk2 be the better choice vs 70D?

55 minutes ago, Bingbear said:

Did concider going the Canon route, but wouldnt a used 5D mk2 be the better choice vs 70D?

Well yeah, the 5DMkII is one of the best selling full frame dslr's. If you are comfortable getting a used one you can consider getting it.

For photography, almost any DSLR/MILC you buy will be sufficient to help you continue to grow as a photographer.  Even the D3100 you currently own.

But when it comes to video, you can't just buy a camera and lens and assume it's sufficient to start out.  So think about this when you are considering the budget.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

On 2016-03-03 at 0:53 AM, Klerk said:

Well yeah, the 5DMkII is one of the best selling full frame dslr's. If you are comfortable getting a used one you can consider getting it.

Coolio, gonna se if i can lend one for a few days from a friend and try it out a bit! 

22 hours ago, ALwin said:

For photography, almost any DSLR/MILC you buy will be sufficient to help you continue to grow as a photographer.  Even the D3100 you currently own.

But when it comes to video, you can't just buy a camera and lens and assume it's sufficient to start out.  So think about this when you are considering the budget.

@ALwin So your suggestion is basicly get glass instead of a new body? Could you elaborate a bit about the video part? :)

27 minutes ago, Bingbear said:

Coolio, gonna se if i can lend one for a few days from a friend and try it out a bit! 

@ALwin So your suggestion is basicly get glass instead of a new body? Could you elaborate a bit about the video part? :)

For photography, if the camera you own is still working and you just want to buy some faster or better quality glass than the kit lens, that's usually enough.  Or if you want to upgrade from cropped sensor to full frame.  It's not like getting a new new camera will improve your ability to take photos.

For video using a camera like a DSLR, you need to think about recording audio, how to control camera movement so any motion like panning or tilting will be smooth, how to get the focus right, all these things can mean buying additional accessories.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer