Upgrading to 32Gb DDR3?

Hi people!

My fingers were already tickling to click the "BUY" button, but then I decided to better ask for some advice. 

A.t.m. I'm running 16Gb of DDR3 @ 1333 stock (with my 4790k). I have already oc'd the RAM to 1.6ghz but the oc doesn't seem to do any good becuase some tasks, like opening and closing games take longer as they should. I have the games I play on SSD (have OS on the same drive, could that do any bad?) and my system is clean. So I wonder if I should get natively fast RAM, I was thinking of 32 gigs, 2400mhz ( ~ 160€). I'm doing twitch streaming here an then and some Video editing, too.

But there are two questions:

- Will it solve the problem? Or should try someting else?

- Will it be worth it, since I plan on upgrading to Zen when it comes out (and Benchmarks are good).

I'm doing twitch streaming here an then and some Video editing, too.

Thanks in advance!

Not really. RAM speeds don't matter that much. 

Is your SSD nearly full (90% or so)?

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Opening and closing thing is limited by the disk's read speed, not the RAM. So no, upgrading RAM won't help at all.

Also, if you really think you'll upgrade soon, then you might as well not invest a peny on this system anymore.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

And, for that extra RAM: You can buy an extra two 8GB-sticks of DDR3-1333 if you are really serious abour rendering and viddeo editing. Also, I'd wait for Zen benchmarks to see if you should switch to AMD. 

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

Is your SSD nearly full (90% or so)?

Hmm... like 80% full.

I am aware of that stuff Linus says in that video... and the benchmarks show that 1333mhz ram is a bit behind. 

Just now, Lolucoca said:

And, for that extra RAM: You can buy an extra two 8GB-sticks of DDR3-1333 if you are really serious abour rendering and viddeo editing. Also, I'd wait for Zen benchmarks to see if you should switch to AMD. 

6 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

Hi people!

My fingers were already tickling to click the "BUY" button, but then I decided to better ask for some advice. 

A.t.m. I'm running 16Gb of DDR3 @ 1333 stock (with my 4790k). I have already oc'd the RAM to 1.6ghz but the oc doesn't seem to do any good becuase some tasks, like opening and closing games take longer as they should. I have the games I play on SSD (have OS on the same drive, could that do any bad?) and my system is clean. So I wonder if I should get natively fast RAM, I was thinking of 32 gigs, 2400mhz ( ~ 160€). I'm doing twitch streaming here an then and some Video editing, too.

But there are two questions:

- Will it solve the problem? Or should try someting else?

- Will it be worth it, since I plan on upgrading to Zen when it comes out (and Benchmarks are good).

I'm doing twitch streaming here an then and some Video editing, too.

Thanks in advance!

@BlackXbonE If your SSD is nearly full, it will get slower as you put more stuff on it. I'd search for an M.2 SSD or another SSD to use in RAID 0 with your existing one. As Imakuni said, It's the drive that makes your system sluggish. 

I got an M.2-PCIe-SSD myself and I'm totally blown away by the speed of this tiny piece of hardware.

Speed.PNG

2 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

@BlackXbonE If your SSD is nearly full, it will get slower as you put more stuff on it. I'd search for an M.2 SSD or another SSD to use in RAID 0 with your existing one. As Imakuni said, It's the drive that makes your system sluggish. 

So will faster storage be the solution? Or just saving my actual games on a separate SSD? Something like a PCIe ssd? But I have seen reports where it says that faster then SATA SSD won't improve gaming experience, since sata was already fast enough.

And what I have already mentioned in my first post: I have oc'd my ram it seems to run worse then @ 1333. Do I maybe have bad ram sticks?

questions over questions xD

@BlackXbonE I'd try swapping the folders for your games between hard drives and your SSD to see if you gain any performance. It's free and doesn't consume that much time. 

On 29.2.2016 at 6:48 PM, Lolucoca said:

I got an M.2-PCIe-SSD myself and I'm totally blown away by the speed of this tiny piece of hardware.

Speed.PNG

impressive - but do you really feel any difference to a normal ssd? the report iv'e seen says that the high speed of m.2 can't bring up it's potential in games because any cpu will bottleneck it.

@BlackXbonE Not really :D But I needed that extra SATA-port on my motherboard ^^