Pingtest gave me a F

hello guys,
 My internet used to work fine and i was content with it...
But recently the quality deteriorated... I have a 2mbps internet plan but my pings are always very high... i use google dns server, have disabled firewall, used tcp optimiser... I have also changed the router at my place... any suggestions how can this situation be improved...
my pingtests usually get a d or f, but sometimes manage a c...
my online gaming has been suffering a lot... i use a ethernet cable to connect my laptop and the router but the problem still persists!!

Who's your ISP?

My Rig: 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.45Ghz 24GB DDR3 EEC RAM Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 SuperMicro X8DT3 Windows Server 2008 R2

Here's a little TL;DR of what you need to know about the GTX 970 and R9 390

R9 390 works better in VRAM-bound scenarios and compute bound scenarios and is best paired with higher end processors

GTX 970 works better in CPU-bound scenarios and tessellation bound scenarios and is best paired with lower end processors

It's a local ISP called SPIDIGO in gujarat, India...

It used to work fine, once i used to get b...

Hi there

I am guessing that the letters you are refering to is the result of some test on a website?

I would like to ask some clarifying questions..

Wireless or Ethernet?

Cable, DSL, fiber, WiMAXX or other?

What is the ping in ms?

What was the ping in ms?

Which test did you use?
Have you tried pinging your gateway? (your router) - what is the ping there?

How is your new router connected to your ISP? Did they supply a router or a modem?

Have you tried trace routing to googles DNS or your ISPs DNS servers? (tracert in windows)

What is your network utilization like in windows/linux/mac? (% wise)

Is anyone else using the connection?

Is your wifi (if you have some) protected with a WPA2-PSK pass-phrase or better?

I would love to give you some pointers to how to fix it, but at this point I dont know enough to give good advice. I hope you can answer the above questions.

Do not be afraid to ask for help or explanation if needed :)

//InVis

Very NIce of you to ask these question..

*I use Ethernet to connect all my laptops and wireless for Phones (pretty obvious)...

*Well, I don't know this (so sorry), i know there's a tplink 150mbps 5ghz access pt. at my terrace, and there's a line running to my house... that plugs into my router and then i use ethernet to acccess the internet

*Ping is 353 and jitter is 95

*it was somewhere 180 and 11 earlier

*when i pinged my router i got results <1, 1, 1ms

*when i pinged my gateway results were 1, 1, 1ms

* as is said there's a cable running down to my home, the router is connected to that cable..

*tracert image is in the attachments

*I don't have a mac or linux.. but use most of my internet on windows...

*My devices are only allowed to access the network...

*yes My router is password protected and the password is ********

Another interesting thing i found was there were to many redirects on my ISP's network....

Hope you'd help me

5 hours ago, InVis said:

Hi there

I am guessing that the letters you are refering to is the result of some test on a website?

I would like to ask some clarifying questions..

Wireless or Ethernet?

Cable, DSL, fiber, WiMAXX or other?

What is the ping in ms?

What was the ping in ms?

Which test did you use?
Have you tried pinging your gateway? (your router) - what is the ping there?

How is your new router connected to your ISP? Did they supply a router or a modem?

Have you tried trace routing to googles DNS or your ISPs DNS servers? (tracert in windows)

What is your network utilization like in windows/linux/mac? (% wise)

Is anyone else using the connection?

Is your wifi (if you have some) protected with a WPA2-PSK pass-phrase or better?

I would love to give you some pointers to how to fix it, but at this point I dont know enough to give good advice. I hope you can answer the above questions.

Do not be afraid to ask for help or explanation if needed :)

//InVis

ping lat.png

On 28/02/2016 at 5:55 AM, Ayushjain199999 said:

Very NIce of you to ask these question..

*I use Ethernet to connect all my laptops and wireless for Phones (pretty obvious)...

*Well, I don't know this (so sorry), i know there's a tplink 150mbps 5ghz access pt. at my terrace, and there's a line running to my house... that plugs into my router and then i use ethernet to acccess the internet

*Ping is 353 and jitter is 95

*it was somewhere 180 and 11 earlier

*when i pinged my router i got results <1, 1, 1ms

*when i pinged my gateway results were 1, 1, 1ms

* as is said there's a cable running down to my home, the router is connected to that cable..

*tracert image is in the attachments

*I don't have a mac or linux.. but use most of my internet on windows...

*My devices are only allowed to access the network...

*yes My router is password protected and the password is ********

Another interesting thing i found was there were to many redirects on my ISP's network....

Hope you'd help me

ping lat.png

Hmm...

That seems very odd that you are having those issues.

What are you pinging? 

As far as I can see, your ISP is some sort of wireless ISP (might be using ubiquiti wireless PtP something similar or maybe even 4G)

They are connecting to the internet via PowerGrid, which seems to be an infrastructure company in India (would make sense that they dig fiber down as well when they are expanding the power grid in an area - power suppliers in Denmark does a similar thing).

One could argue that their (PowerGrid) transit links or core routers might be over saturated or maybe their peering partners are a bit slow, but there is generally not much to do about that.

The issue does not seem to be related to your home network as far as I can see at first glance.

You should try and call your ISP and present them with your findings. The issue might lie within their configurations.

I am puzzled by the private IP in the middle of the trace, which might indicate that your ISPs infrastructure has been compromised by a hacker or that they are doing something malicious with your data (man-in-the-middle attack) - or maybe they have just configured a router wrong (that does happen in the real world when a routing engine is changed in a core router).

Either way, I would contact them. 

56d27d03b159e_pinglat.png.a16c59c372785462381b09110e8a668b.png

1 hour ago, InVis said:

I am puzzled by the private IP in the middle of the trace, which might indicate that your ISPs infrastructure has been compromised by a hacker or that they are doing something malicious with your data (man-in-the-middle attack)

Some ISPs deliberately implemented it this way. 

The disadvantages are discussed in RFC 6752

@Ayushjain199999 could you run a tacert against something else? Google DNS uses anycast which makes it very difficult to determine the location of the actual pinged server. 

42 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Some ISPs deliberately implemented it this way. 

The disadvantages are discussed in RFC 6752

@Ayushjain199999 could you run a tacert against something else? Google DNS uses anycast which makes it very difficult to determine the location of the actual pinged server. 

Oh.. I did not know that!

I have never ever thought that anyone would use private ips in a core network and we do not do it where I work (one of the worlds largest ISPs, about 200 million subscribers)