ENCRYPTION

In light of all the security and privacy hoopla being stirred up in the media, I thought it would be nice to see the extant of other people's security practices.  Do you use Encryption?  What programs do you use?  How do you implement your encryption?  How secure do you think your system is or should be?  Do you think encryption is even necessary?  Feel free to answer of any the questions or just post any other general thoughts or comments.

Thanks

TidaLWaveZ 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I personally use the full hard drive encryption in ZorinOS and I use veracrypt to encrypt individual files and folders in Windows.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I have no issues using Bitlocker for everything I do :-)

Dual Xeon x5690's overclocked to 4.3GHz on air | EVGA SR-2 |48GB DDR3 PC3-12800 | Cooler Master: V6GT's | LSI 9260-8i SAS Controller | 4 x Samsung 850 SSD's in RAID0 | Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming

4 minutes ago, Nailzy said:

I have no issues using Bitlocker for everything I do :-)

Do you encrypt whole drives or individually choose files?  How strong do you think your encryption is? 

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I don't use encryption for the same reason some people don't backup. Just too lazy to set it up and too much of a hassle if I want to recover my files.

I was like this until somewhat recently. Actually I still am, but I just got bored one night and went encryption crazy.

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Do you encrypt whole drives or individually choose files?  How strong do you think your encryption is? 

Whole drives. No noticeable performance impact for me, and I've rebuilt all my systems to Windows 10 1511 which allows for XTS-AES 256 bit encryption. Unless someone has the recovery keys, I'd be confident that it's strong enough that if my house got broken into, no-one would get at my data.

Dual Xeon x5690's overclocked to 4.3GHz on air | EVGA SR-2 |48GB DDR3 PC3-12800 | Cooler Master: V6GT's | LSI 9260-8i SAS Controller | 4 x Samsung 850 SSD's in RAID0 | Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming

24 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I don't use encryption for the same reason some people don't backup. Just too lazy to set it up and too much of a hassle if I want to recover my files.

I do have backups all over the place but I do not 'bother' with encryption .  There is no such thing as totally secure and I don't see why I should go to ANY effort to stop people,who want to put the effort in of hacking/stealing my system, seeing my pictures of the boys when they were bairns.  All banking etc is done in-store so there is nothing I wouldn't be happy with appearing on the front page of a newspaper( new york times test) on this machine.

Have a bank account that I maintain with very little money in it for Amazon purchases so if anyone does get their hands on the number the amount lost[1] wouldn't be that much.

[1] Card is insured against loss anyway so any loss would be temporary.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My windows 10 pc has almost nothing personal on it, just work stuff. All my sensitive data is on a Kali Linux Live USB encrypted with LUKS and a 24-chars password (with a Nuke password | about LUKS Nuke ). If i need to move around private files, i encrypt them with GPG keys, also with 24-chars passwords.

Is it overkill? nah.

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens