setting the primary graphics card in notebooks

McCloud

I've got a HP ProBook 470, with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 8750M

Using the Switchable Graphics (and in software like 3ds Max, directly in the application) I can configure which programs use the better performing AMD card. 

However, it seems that the display driver itself is using the Intel Card. When I open AMD Catalyst control center, there are no settings for display at all (resolution, color etc.) 

Is there a way to change this ? Explicitly tell the display to use the AMD card ?

I wanted to experiment with using higher (than native) resolutions...

4 minutes ago, McCloud said:

SNIP

It is designed to be that way, otherwise when you are sitting idle on the desktop the graphics card will be eating up your battery life

I am not sure if you can force it by disabling the onboard, but I would not recommend it 

also higer resolutions suck on the desktop and are only useful in games when you are using the dedicated GPU anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

ok, I see. Thanks. I've found a pretty handy software in the meantime... not ideal, but can be useful some times.