First Custom Loop Question!!

Just wanted to ask you guys what to expect. I've been doing a lot of research so I have a lot going through my head. Just wanting to ask the guys that have done a lot more of these what is the biggest "thing" to look for? Loop will be Petg.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Urm, not much, what has your research said?

Spoiler

Kraken-loop.thumb.jpg.1ffd989994d2a3474a

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

11 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Urm, not much, what has your research said?

Reveal hidden contents

Kraken-loop.thumb.jpg.1ffd989994d2a3474a

Just to Flush Rads amd so on. About fittings. Fittings was the one thing I spent a lot of time watching ModZoo videos on.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Just now, shawn finkenstead said:

Just to Flush Rads amd so on. About fittings. Fittings was the one thing I spent a lot of time watching ModZoo videos on.

Yes flush your rads, I used vinegar and boiling water to clean mine, here is the result out of almost every rad.

12555898_1501094696863797_1149356824_n.j

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

13 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Just wanted to ask you guys what to expect. I've been doing a lot of research so I have a lot going through my head. Just wanting to ask the guys that have done a lot more of these what is the biggest "thing" to look for? Loop will be Petg.

Make sure not to use ethylene glycol based additives or coolants with PETG tubing, and as a result do not use a silver kill coil as a biocide substitute if you have any nickle plated block or fittings.

I say as a result because you will be limited to a handful of non ethylene glycol coolants, concentrates, and additives with PETG tubing and you will see a lot of talk recommending distilled water and a kill coil. 

So ethylene glycol+PETG and silver kill coil+nickle in the loop = bad

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

Just now, jasonc_01 said:

Make sure not to use ethylene glycol based additives or coolants with PETG tubing, and as a result do not use a silver kill coil as a biocide substitute if you have any nickle plated block or fittings.

I say as a result because you will be limited to a handful of non ethylene glycol coolants, concentrates, and additives with PETG tubing and you will see a lot of talk recommending distilled water and a kill coil. 

I actually bought The Primochill Uv Green. Think it's the Ice series.

He can use silver kill coils or bullets if he doesn't have nickel, he can also use biocide with PETG it's fine. Personally I would just use acrylic tubing because I will be doing next to get rid of all the limits plus I want to use pastel colours with UV.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

1 minute ago, shawn finkenstead said:

I actually bought The Primochill Uv Green. Think it's the Ice series.

I believe all primochill coolants are 100% non ethylene glycol based.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, Benji_w said:

He can use silver kill coils or bullets if he doesn't have nickel, he can also use biocide with PETG it's fine. Personally I would just use acrylic tubing because I will be doing next to get rid of all the limits plus I want to use pastel colours with UV.

Ya that's what I meant. 

I guess you have no choice if you want pastel.

Ya that's what I meant. 

I guess you have no choice if you want pastel.

There's no real advantage of PETG over acrylic other than it's easier to bend, that's it, acrylic is more transparent and because it's harder by nature you can polish it to look glass like on the outside. The whole hitting it with a hammer nonsense makes no sense to me, I've seen B Negative try and snap acrylic tube and it didn't break so unless I'm doing hardcore DIY in my case for some unknown reason beyond logic, I'll be fine. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

21 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

There's no real advantage of PETG over acrylic other than it's easier to bend, that's it, acrylic is more transparent and because it's harder by nature you can polish it to look glass like on the outside. The whole hitting it with a hammer nonsense makes no sense to me, I've seen B Negative try and snap acrylic tube and it didn't break so unless I'm doing hardcore DIY in my case for some unknown reason beyond logic, I'll be fine. 

Yeah the Hammer video isn't why I went with Petg. I went with it because of the ease of use factor. Pretty sure I don't have any Nickle. Xspc cpu block Xspc 360mm rad, and Ek Gpu Block.

2 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Yeah the Hammer video isn't why I went with Petg. I went with it because of the ease of use factor. Pretty sure I don't have any Nickle. Xspc cpu block Xspc 360mm rad, and Ek Gpu Block.

Nickel is silver-ish in appearance, it's found on waterblocks not radiators too btw. And fair enough, I wanted clarity and shiny shiny.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

6 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Nickel is silver-ish in appearance, it's found on waterblocks not radiators too btw. And fair enough, I wanted clarity and shiny shiny.

I might switch to Acrylic in the future if I got to add another Rad. Going to see how this goes first. The only real thing I am worried about is getting the length right so it won't leak.

1 hour ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Ek gpu blocks are mostly nickle plated.

23 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

Ek gpu blocks are mostly nickle plated.

Just seen that. But people have been running this block for years without issue. So fingers crossed lol.

The block is fine, just don't use silver with it.

The block is fine, just don't use silver with it.

Got ya. Almost want to start now. Getting pretty excited. Can't wait to rip this loud ass cooler off my card!!!!