Quadrupling Internet Speed

StormGamer25

Alright, so I watched Linus's video on quadrupling network speed, so will this work: If I get a 5 port ethernet switch, connect it with one cable to my router, and 4 to my computer's network card, will that still allow for faster internet? 

Your internet is likely being held back by your ISP not your internal connection. Unless of course you're referring to your internal network only and plan on connecting multiple devices to your internal network the same way. 

The issue with what you're describing is that you still only have a single line running between the switch and the router, so you'll only see improved speeds between devices that are connected to the switch (and not the router) with multiple connections. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 hours ago, StormGamer25 said:

Alright, so I watched Linus's video on quadrupling network speed, so will this work: If I get a 5 port ethernet switch, connect it with one cable to my router, and 4 to my computer's network card, will that still allow for faster internet? 

Look of difference between speed between WAN>LAN and LAN>LAN. Pretty sure Linus even explained this in the video. What your asking is equivalent to this:

This is a troll for anyone a bit too simple to realize.

Let's imagine you connect 4 water taps to your water pipe - will you get more water?

4 minutes ago, NetworkPeet said:

Let's imagine you connect 4 water taps to your water pipe - will you get more water?

If you pay for gigabit speeds and only have a 100mb switch, then yes actually :P

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you pay for gigabit speeds and only have a 100mb switch, then yes actually :P

Actually no. The reason it's called a 100Mb switch is because of the throughput of the switch CPU, not the interface rates. Are you saying if you connect 16 CAT6 to a gigabit switch, will you get 16Gb throughput? I hope your trolling.... :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Actually no. The reason it's called a 100Mb switch is because of the throughput of the switch CPU, not the interface rates. Are you saying if you connect 16 CAT6 to a gigabit switch, will you get 16Gb throughput? I hope your trolling.... :ph34r:

Ummm, not exactly. 

A 100mb switch MAY only be able to delivery 100mb in total, or it may be able to handle 100mb to each port. It depends entirely on the switch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You are also forgetting the fact that in order to Bond/Lag/Port Channel interfaces you need a device which allows that. Typically a managed or smart switch. This will allow you to connect all ports as one interface using a protocol called LACP. However you will still be limited to one single interfaces bandwidth as the LACP protocol uses a hash that includes the source and destination. This means that no matter what, you will get at most the speed of one interface between any given devices. LACP will not make your internet or even your local network speeds any faster. (With a few exceptions such as SMB Multichannel on windows servers). However what it does do is allow multiple clients to get full bandwidth from one server. I hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, schizznick said:

You are also forgetting the fact that in order to Bond/Lag/Port Channel interfaces you need a device which allows that. Typically a managed or smart switch.

Unless you're running Linux. ;)

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, schizznick said:

You are also forgetting the fact that in order to Bond/Lag/Port Channel interfaces you need a device which allows that. Typically a managed or smart switch. This will allow you to connect all ports as one interface using a protocol called LACP. However you will still be limited to one single interfaces bandwidth as the LACP protocol uses a hash that includes the source and destination. This means that no matter what, you will get at most the speed of one interface between any given devices. LACP will not make your internet or even your local network speeds any faster. (With a few exceptions such as SMB Multichannel on windows servers). However what it does do is allow multiple clients to get full bandwidth from one server. I hope this helps.

Yeah you are right, You can define the hash by the source/destination Port/MAC/IP

LACP is in first case designed for redundancy and in second for load balancing - but not for a syncron speed doubling

6 hours ago, Trikein said:

That's not how switches work - have a look into switching capacity, normally rated in Gb/s :)

16 hours ago, Trikein said:

That might be true for the cheapest of unmanaged switches, but most can handle at least half of their total port speed - so a 5 port 100Mb switch would have a port capacity of 1Gbps (2x100Mbx5) and a switching capacity of at least half that. Every switch I've seen whose manufacturer bothered to rate the switching capacity has followed this guideline, the ones that don't provide a rating do so because they don't want you to know how cheap their switch really is.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 hours ago, brwainer said:

That might be true for the cheapest of unmanaged switches, but most can handle at least half of their total port speed - so a 5 port 100Mb switch would have a port capacity of 1Gbps (2x100Mbx5) and a switching capacity of at least half that. Every switch I've seen whose manufacturer bothered to rate the switching capacity has followed this guideline, the ones that don't provide a rating do so because they don't want you to know how cheap their switch really is.

Please get brain

Speeds are always noted in BIT!!!!

it is called 100Mbit/ Second!!!!!

8Bit = 1 BYTE

100Mbit => 100Mbit/8 => 12,5MegaByte!!!!

2 hours ago, NetworkPeet said:

Please get brain

8Bit = 1 BYTE

When did he ever say otherwise? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, NetworkPeet said:

Please get brain

8Bit = 1 BYTE

Excuse me? EVERY SINGLE ONE of the things I wrote were in bit/s. I expect an apology for your abhorrently rude behavior.

8 hours ago, NetworkPeet said:

Please get brain

8Bit = 1 BYTE

5 ports at 100Mbps times 2 because ethernet is full duplex equals 1000Mbps. That's really simple math. Please get brain.

22 hours ago, brwainer said:

I expect an apology for your abhorrently rude behavior.

Hahahaha funny

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

6 hours ago, legopc said:

Hahahaha funny

Yeah I realize how futile and silly that is to say... but it felt a little bit good. I try not to feed trolls too much.