How safe is Windows BitLocker?

vanished

I'm just curious, how safe is the encryption used by BitLocker?  Is it FBI-proof level stuff or is it more like a minor inconvenience?

Anyone had any good or bad experiences using it?  (I'd be looking at maybe using it on external backup drives)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I personally wouldn't just it, its closed-source. I've never used it, but usually its not good to be closed-source in this situation, because Microsoft could of possibly put a backdoor into it for the FBI or the likes.

Microsoft stores a copy of the encryption key on their servers. As Matthew Green, professor of cryptography at Johns Hopkins University puts it, 'Your computer is now only as secure as that database of keys held by Microsoft, which means it may be vulnerable to hackers, foreign governments, and people who can extort Microsoft employees.'"

It also means that any police agency could simply request your key via warrant and decrypt all of your data without any problems at all. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

35 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Microsoft stores a copy of the encryption key on their servers. As Matthew Green, professor of cryptography at Johns Hopkins University puts it, 'Your computer is now only as secure as that database of keys held by Microsoft, which means it may be vulnerable to hackers, foreign governments, and people who can extort Microsoft employees.'"

It also means that any police agency could simply request your key via warrant and decrypt all of your data without any problems at all. 

Just to clarify, this only applies to machines that are connected with a Microsoft Account, and it is stored against your account.

They do not hold keys for computers that aren't joined to an MS account, or to Domain computers.

Also just to add, what is the likeliness of someone having both your computer and have hacked a secure database system at Microsoft? Fairly slim...

If youre using it in an enterprise environment, you would keep the Bitlocker/TPM recovery information in your Active Directory. Ideally, you should of ensure that the key is backed up in your domain after an image, to ensure that the keys are available before loading any information onto it.

If you have a standalone/workgroup computer without a Microsoft Account, then you'll want to back it up somewhere.

Bitlocker uses AES encryption, so its very secure

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

So what I'm getting is it's not exactly top of the line unbreakable, but it is certainly more than enough for piece of mind around the house :P

OK thanks everyone :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.