First Desktop Ever

Go to solution Solved by brob,
2 hours ago, tatelee69 said:

Do PSUs have an effect on performance? If they are reaching the required wattage what could it be effecting?

What do you mean by clean power? 

PSU can affect performance in the sense that they influence stability and overclocking. Wattage is only part of the story. The quality of voltage regulation, etc. can also affect component life.

My Custom Build I don't know how to properly insert it but here it is.

Nice. To insert a nicely formatted list in a post, in the build list editor click on the [bb] tool button, center above the list. Copy and paste the results.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you go i5, you need to change the motherboard

but in that sense its not a better computer, it's a different one already :I

In that case I think I'm just going to wait and an intel processor will be something to invest into later on along with a better power supply, motherboard, and ssds. 

2 minutes ago, brob said:

The cpu is not awful and has performance that benchmarks better than an i5-4960K. If you wanted to return it you would need to return the motherboard as well. Not sure why one would want to return the Kraken X61. It is a great cpu cooler and works well on both AMD and Intel cpu.

You have bought the stuff. I doubt it is worth incurring additional cost to trade it in for something that will have roughly the same gaming performance.

I agree I think it's too much work this far and it wouldn't be worth the effort for not much return in the performance. The Kraken I can keep for a while so if I ever do decide to switch things up I wouldn't have to buy a whole new cpu cooler. But someone brought up a point about the PSU, is that something I need to worry about or the PSU won't have any change in performance?  

the psu is fine, its a tier 3 but for a budget build thats plenty enough

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Do PSUs have an effect on performance? If they are reaching the required wattage what could it be effecting?

7 minutes ago, brob said:

The psu is not excellent, simply average. It should be okay, but something like the EVGA 210-GQ-0650-V1 or SeaSonic SSR-650RM are well priced and do a better job delivering clean power.

PSU can affect performance in the sense that they influence stability and overclocking. Wattage is only part of the story. The quality of voltage regulation, etc. can also affect component life.

My Custom Build I don't know how to properly insert it but here it is.

Nice. To insert a nicely formatted list in a post, in the build list editor click on the [bb] tool button, center above the list. Copy and paste the results.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.