Before I choos new monitor(s)

total novice

Hi,

At the moment, I am using i7 6700 with intel HD gpraphics (HD5300).

Before I get new monitors, I would like to know if I need a dedicated GPU for dual 1440p, 1440p ultra wide or dual 4k.

I never play games, but I use graphic and CAD software.

If I need a dedicated GPU, my options are limited by PCIe and 280W psu. I do not intend to change the PSU. Based on the reviews, I guess a strix gtx 750 tn oc is my best bet, but I am not certain about Vram (2 gd5 vs 4gd5).

So, before I get new monitors, could someone answer:

Do I need a GPU for dual 1440p/4k monitors  or am i better of with a single ultrawide without a dedicated GPU.

If I need a new GPU in either scenario, can I run a strix gtx 750ti with a 280W PSU and  should I get the standard 2 GB ram or go for 4GB ram?

I am aware that you are not going to game on that PC, but a 750ti is not enough for 4k, especially dual 4k. Probably go with something like a R9 380x or better. A new PSU is probably also required.

OK. Since I am completely against a new PSU, for various reasons, what is the maximum dual monitor setup I can run with a low power GPU or intel HD graphics?

It might also be worth mentioning, that, besides the CPU, I am running 2x8gb DDR4 + 2x 16GB ddr4, dual SSD, and 2-4 USB devices.

I think I read somewhere the CPU s rated at 85W, I dont think an SSD uses more than 6-7W, but I am not sure about the motherboard, ram etc.

So, i guess, I need a recommendation for a low power GPU and some advice about  maximum resolution I can run with it. If it is possible, If a low power GPU can handle it, I may be able to live with one ultrawide 3440x1440, but would prefer dual 1440p, since dual 4k is out of question.

BTW The manufacturer recommends GT730 with 2gb ddr3 or a Radeon r9 350 with 2GD5 (68W - which I couldn't find on the market).

I can see that the STRIX GTX750 has a power rating up to 75W, which is not a significant difference, so I am guessing it would run OK.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

for 1440p. for auto cad i have always used a dgpu but a 5300 igpu should do fine. look at it this way. i have a surface pro 3 im typing on right now. it is at 1440p. i dock it to 2 1440p monitors often and i have to adjust my native screen because of the 3.2 aspect ratio and my touch monitor but it drives all 3 awesomely. you have a real core i 7 with no throttle issues. your i7 and 5300 will drive your monitors easily. but if you try games its gonna laugh at you.

Just now, Conan1600 said:

he said 1440p not 4k. for auto cad i have always used a dgpu but a 5300 igpu should do fine. look at it this way. i have a surface pro 3 im typing on right now. it is at 1440p. i dock it to 2 1440p monitors often and i have to adjust my native screen because of the 3.2 aspect ration and my touch monitor but it drives all 3 awesomely. you have a real core i 7 with no throttle iasues. your i7 and 5300 will drive your monitors easily

1 hour ago, total novice said:

Before I get new monitors, I would like to know if I need a dedicated GPU for dual 1440p, 1440p ultra wide or dual 4k.

Nope, he did say dual-4K. 

Thanks for the feedback. I guess, i could try 2x1440p and get some low power GPU if this proves slow. The manufacturer rating says it should be capable of 2x4k and it does have 2 DPs.

Do you think  2x4k is also possible with intel HD 5300.

Is there any advantage of a single ultrawide 3840x1440 compared to 2x1440p, like lower stress/heat of the GPU?

I should probably also mention that the computer runs several VMs 24/7, so I would like to keep heat, noise  and power consumption as low as possible (which is why I was looking at a STRIX gtx 750).