Moving Advice

Judahnator

I plan on moving soon for a job, but need a bit of advice.

I am dirt poor, and this is my first time moving.

What all do I need to know? What do I look out for?

My initial thought was to just get a U-Haul and just go for it (about 1,800 miles, from Moscow Idaho to Milwaukee Wisconsin). Do I need to look out for anything else though?
For example, what are good practices with renting a new place? Buying a new car (or in my case, likely a scooter)?

-- EDIT --

Removed some financial information, as its no longer relevant

Lets start with car advice. I have a 1969 Ford Ranger (3/4-ton model) that needs some serious work before it will move (tires, spark-plugs, fluids, hoses, belts). Do you guys think I could make it go 1,800 miles pulling a U-Haul trailer? If so, that would save me about $600. If not, id have to rent truck as well as a trailer to pull it.

-- EDIT --

Ill just sell the truck and get a moped or something when I get there

Is a credit card an option? Could I call up a company and say "Hi, can I borrow $2,000 and pay you back $3,000 over the next year?"

-- EDIT --

Now that i'm not in panic mode, I did my best to summarize what I needed and cut out useless information

~Judah

Sounds like your in a bit of a pickle financially. Not uncommon for pretty much everyone at one time or another. If your previous employer is fighting your unemployment you can't count on that money. At the same time, you probably can't count on them to give a positive reference if contacted by the company you are interested in working for. Something to be aware of. While it is technically illegal for your old company to say anything other than confirm your dates of employment and maybe if they would be willing to hire you again...some companies will say much more that could be to your detriment including (not a team player, difficult to work with, or even downright incompetent). Not saying that will be the case for you but if you are currently in a fight with your old employer over benefits...they likely aren't in your corner when looking for a new job either. 

You are saying that you plan to move soon for a job...but then you list that you need to buy a plane ticket for an interview. The first thing to get out of the way is securing the job. 

If the company is truly serious in hiring you perhaps they can do a skype interview or phone interview first. If they are still interested then they should be paying for your flight and accommodations to come to the site. While not all companies will do this it has been my personal experience that if they aren't willing to bring you out for an interview, they probably aren't really interested in hiring you in the first place. I would hate to see you drop almost a grand or more for a flight, hotel, food, etc only to have the company say...thanks for coming out but we have had many other qualified applicants and are unable to offer you a position at this time. 

If they do offer you the job, they might also be willing to help you with moving costs. Some companies will, some won't. When going through final negotiations about benefits and salary it won't hurt to ask for a signing bonus to help offset your cost of moving and getting setup. Again, under the assumption they hire you. If they won't do that it is possible that they will offer you an advance on your salary, but the only way you will know is to ask. 

As for your vehicle situation when it comes time to move. It sounds like the truck is in rough shape. How confident are you that if you have that work performed that there aren't other issues with the engine or transmission. A long drive like that could start fine but end in disaster. If you decide to do the repairs then you should also talk to a mechanic you trust to do them and tell him/her that you are planning on a 2000 mile trip hauling a trailer and ask them to do a check and inspection to see if it will make it after those repairs or if more is needed. 

Lastly, about your credit card. DO NOT DO A CASH ADVANCE! The rates for doing a cash advance are MUCH higher than simply using your line of credit. If you need to rent a trailer or a moving truck just use it as a regular credit card. Same goes for your plane flight, hotels, and other expenses if you must. Then you can make small monthly payments until your new income starts.  Lastly, assume that your new apartment and deposit must be paid in cash (get a receipt) or via check. Don't plan to use your credit card for that. 

I wish you the absolute best of luck with this. Moving and changing jobs can be stressful, and the added financial burden can often be much higher than you initially expect.  If you need some extra cash you might also think about selling off anything you don't need and aren't seriously attached to. It will help provide a financial cushion and result in less stuff to move. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

1 hour ago, Papakuma said:

-- snip --

Thank you for the help!

I have been fighting my past employer for some time. It has gotten to the point where I have simply removed them from my resume.

They got caught up in tax fraud and now the CEO is on the run. He is somewhere in California, nobody has heard from him for a week or two. I don't have high hopes for getting unemployment, but with luck...

I am going through a recruiting agency to get the job, so I am not talking directly with the company in question. I had a phone interview, and they gave me and the recruiters high praise and suggested I fly out for an in-person interview. I am currently waiting on their response (through the recruiting agency) on whether or not they will help offset the cost.

About the truck, I had a mechanic buddy come over to give the truck a look. He suggested I scrap the truck for whatever I can get out of it, save the money of repairs and getting it there, and simply buy a dirt-cheap car or scooter when I get to Wisconsin.

Many thanks for the help! Ill see what all I can sell to lighten my load and make the process easier.

~Judah