Hackintosh building noobe seeks wise words to keep him from electrocuting himself.

Hi. I'm new to building hackintoshes and pc's, in general, for that matter. But, I'm determined to do this. However, I will definitely need some advice and input from any kind soul who is willing to prevent me from electrocuting myself or starting a fire, or whatever other disaster I could create here. I am currently trying to choose my CPU. I feel that the AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core suites my needs, however I don't know if it is compatible with OS X. If somebody could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Don't get an AMD for a hackintosh.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

"The problem with AMD Hackintoshes lies in the kernel, a critical file that lets applications in Mac OS X communicate with the hardware of your Hackintosh. The standard kernel for Mac OS X (known as the "vanilla" kernel) is only designed to support Intel processors."

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

What do you think about Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.5 GHz? I assume it would be compatible since it's from intel, but performance-wise is it a good idea? I'm going to be using this for video editing mostly, but I have to stay inside a strict budget here.

29 minutes ago, cocolde said:

What do you think about Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.5 GHz? I assume it would be compatible since it's from intel, but performance-wise is it a good idea? I'm going to be using this for video editing mostly, but I have to stay inside a strict budget here.

If it's for video editing I wouldn't get that old of a cpu. 

It's a rather rough budget cause I'll try and sell stuff if I need to, but I'm thinking about $325, a not-to-exceed of $400. I'm hoping amazon warehouse deals will save the day on this one. Are we absolutely certain that the AMD processor won't work? I read online that some do. I'm not really concerned with longevity here because I plan on using the rig to work towards updating these components. I just need it to run el capitan.

Edited by cocolde

Just now, cocolde said:

It's a rather rough budget cause I'll try and sell stuff if I need to, but I'm thinking about $325, a not-to-exceed of $400. I'm hoping amazon warehouse deals will save the day on this one. Are we absolutely certain that the AMD processor won't work? I read online that some do. I'm not really concerned with longevity here because I plan on using the rig to work towards updating these components. I just need it to run el capitan.

AMD Processors will work. Future issues my come, but I don't see a big reason to worry. Ironicly I saw a post today on /r/PcMasterRace about an AMD Hackintosh. Here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/46pul7/just_finished_my_amd_hackintosh_gg_overpriced_macs/6GO0cGj.jpg

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

That's cool. What kind of issues do you think I'm going to experience here?

Just now, cocolde said:

That's cool. What kind of issues do you think I'm going to experience here?

Not sure. Reading through the thread, it seems like it would be extremely hard getting El Capitan working. That guy is running Mavericks AFAIK. Basically, the more time you put into it. The better result you are gonna get. Some of the user's using AMD followed this guide: 

If you plan on doing this, please make a thread. I am quite interested in Hackintoshes.

Edited by LittleCarrot
+ Added missing information.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

I feel like AMD stuff fits my budget better, but maybe the solution is to go with intel and cheap out on the storage (which bothers me quite a bit).

When it comes to the gpu, can I go AMD? I'm thinking AMD FirePro W2100 2GB. Does anyone know if this is compatible?