Southbridge thermal paste

Flashie

Im doing my routine maintenance on my PC and decided to clean under the south bridge for the first time - but I also want to know if it would get any better performance/cooling if i take off the stock thermal-pad thingie that it comes with default and replace it with thermal paste.

Thanks

Flash

If there is a pad used, the cooler mostly has way more space to the chip, so you would need a lot of thermal paste.
And since normal thermal paste is of low viscosity you would make more of a mess then doing something good.
I think it only makes sense to apply new thermal paste, if it also was originally using thermal paste.

e.g. the thermal paste on notebook CPUs or GPUs and as an extreme example the thermal paste between die and heat spreader on newer consumer i7 cpus.
Because that stuff really can dry out and have a way worse performance than high quality thermal paste.

If its using pads in the first place, the chip doesn't have a really high TDP anyways. (e.g. RAM chips, GDDR RAM on grafic cards)

You can replace them with new thermal pads though, if you have the feeling that the old ones are dirty or broken.
There is special thermal paste to replace thermal pads but i wouldn't use it.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

• 4 years later...

I'm curious if I could use a thermal pad on my ps4 pro scei chip and also hdmi chip? I've heard people say they've tested it and works in cooling the system. 

Thanks