Start slow ($4.4K) or go Full bore ($8.2K total with monitor, WC and peripherials)?

krisk7

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a new build and looking for your advices and comments.

1. Budget&Location

Budget is not really an issue, but I would like to spend wisely. Can spend up to $6K more with a monitor if justification is sound, but probably will not need to. Location: Warsaw / Poland. Some hardware may be a bit harder to come by and coupons don't work :)

2. Aim

Gaming: Star Citizen, Witcher 3, Racing sims, Total War series.

3. Monitors

I like single monitor setups best, so I am planning to buy a 21:9 1440p with G-sync like Acer X34, Asus PG348Q. However might stick to 1080p for now and wait to see if anything better comes out within the next 6 months.

Regarding 4K, I will consider it when it comes out in 21:9 aspect ratio with G-sync and 100 Hz so at least a year from now.

4. Peripherials

Got some parts already to start with (around $2K):

a. Obutto Revolution cockpit

b. Thrustmaster RS500

c. Corsair K95  RGB Brown

5. Other considerations

a. I would be OK to go SLI and full custom loop, but my concern is that Pascal will come soon and 980ti will quickly become unattractive in terms of price/performance. So mabye a better approach would be to start slow with a 970 now and upgrade to SLI 1080 or 1080ti when they come out.

b. Regardless of the graphics I would like my mobo / CPU to last for at least 3 years, which should not be hard given the slow rate of progress there.

c. Mobo / CPU must be able to support SLI + 2 * m.2 PCI-e SSDs (one for OS, one for future expansion).

d. Case must support WC with plenty of room, although I may start with AC. I prefer large cases.

e. Color scheme: Black and Red.

f. For headphones I would like to have one pair with active noise cancellation like Bose Quiet Comfort 25 and one open like Sennheiser HD 650. Headphones coupled with: ModMic 4.0 Omni-directional

g. Will need HOTAS for Star Citizen as an option.

h. Interested in a VR headset, but rather when a second gen comes out.

6. Proposed builds

a. Start slow: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rXwQTW

b. Full bore: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HKwQTW

Interesting. I'm using a Modmic. It's great but with your build, why not pick something like the Audio Technica AT2020 or Blue Yeti? They're separate microphones and you can swap them even if you change headphones. 

I'd build a 4-D cockpit with full motion with a VR headset I built for 2 grand before I shove 4-8 grand into a setup, but I'm a cheap bastard and like to build stuff, so that's just me. (also I'm poor and 8Gs would buy me a new car that I need)

Still seems super expensive for those games except for star citizen, which some people have invested 10k alone for an in-game ship.

Just curious, why the Bose?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

2 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Interesting. I'm using a Modmic. It's great but with your build, why not pick something like the Audio Technica AT2020 or Blue Yeti? They're separate microphones and you can swap them even if you change headphones. 

Thanks for the reply. My concern is that Obutto cockpit and desk mics don't mix very well.

Just now, krisk7 said:

Thanks for the reply. My concern is that Obutto cockpit and desk mics don't mix very well.

Ah.. and I guess a microphone stand would block your field of vision haha 

14 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

I'd build a 4-D cockpit with full motion with a VR headset I built for 2 grand before I shove 4-8 grand into a setup, but I'm a cheap bastard and like to build stuff, so that's just me. (also I'm poor and 8Gs would buy me a new car that I need)

Still seems super expensive for those games except for star citizen, which some people have invested 10k alone for an in-game ship.

Just curious, why the Bose?

VR is very exciting especially for SC, but I think 2017 will be the right time when we see how the market settles and second generations arrive.

Regarding the car, yes this would make my setup more expensive than my car ... at least don't need to pay insurance companies a grand each year.

Bose, as I need a headset with active noise cancelling and they seem good at it and comfortable. Can also be used on a plane. Can you recommend any other good noise cancelling headphones?

2 hours ago, krisk7 said:

VR is very exciting especially for SC, but I think 2017 will be the right time when we see how the market settles and second generations arrive.

Regarding the car, yes this would make my setup more expensive than my car ... at least don't need to pay insurance companies a grand each year.

Bose as I need a headset with active noise cancelling an they seem good at it and comfortable. Can also be used on a plane. Can you recommend any other good noise cancelling headphones?

Alright, if you're gonna use it for more than just gaming, I can see the need. Generally gaming headphones should be better with position identification for obvious reasons, but those Bose -should- be good with them as (should I be remembering correctly) I remember hearing they are good with large orchestral pieces.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb