Computing Tips, Software, and Resources

Nerdie

Tips

• Always verify that you visit the official site you are looking for.
  • Never open any unexpected emails you weren't looking for!
  • Be cautious of downloading any type of file, especially executables (.exe and .scr)
  • When downloading a program do some research to see if it is trustworthy or not.
  • Keep windows up to date! People sometimes don't update as often as they should, updates come out for a reason... they fix bugs and security holes found in the operating system.
  • Keep all software up to date.
  • Turn off auto-run for USBs.
  • Secure your accounts; Use 2FA when possible, use randomly generated passwords along with a password manager or a piece of paper!
  • When on forums and other sites check to see if they have an option to 'Hide you Email from others' and check it when possible.
  • Don't make enemies, this will just make you a target of someone.
  • Always use virus protection, even if it is free.
  • Never use more than 1 anti-virus on a machine.
  • If you are having an issue search it up before contacting someone under a tech support solution, most likely you'll end up getting the answer a lot faster by doing that.

Software

Security

System Optimizer's & Cleaners:

Password Managers:

Browsers:

Misc:

Browser Extensions 
Adguard - Best adblocker there currently is.
uBlock - Lightweight and powerful adblocker.
Web of Trust - Website Rating Tool and warns you of possibly malicious sites.
HTTPS Everywhere - Forces the use of HTTPS on websites/elements when available.

** Adblock/Adblock Plus is not recommended for use because they allow non-intrusive ads to be displayed. **

Other:
Ninite - Install multiple apps at once without bloatware.

I may update this in the near future to contain more content, we'll see...

Great list of resources, especially the recommendation of keeping things up to date.

I know so many people who refuse to update because of reason X, when in reality they have absolutely no clue as to why we need to keep software up to date.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 hours ago, Nerdie said:

snip

+Tips

Also try your best not to pirate, it's tempting though....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold