PC wouldn't post, please help.

kwlodarczyk
Go to solution Solved by kwlodarczyk,

Got it to work, for some reason the motherboard wouldn't post with the gpu in the top slot, after moving the gpu down a slot it works fine so far. Should I rma the motherboard?

Hi, I built my first pc a few months ago and since then I have had lots of minor problems with it but I was able to fix them. Yesterday when I turned it on it was not even getting into the bios, the fans would spin up and I would get a feed going to the monitor but it was just a black screen. I tried using the onboard graphics instead of the gpu but the monitor was not getting signal from that. I tried different monitors as well as different graphics cards but that didn't make any difference. My specs are:

Asrock b85 pro 4 atx motherboard

Intel i5 4460

Kingston ram- 1 8gb stick

120gb SanDisk z400s ssd

400gb wd caviar hdd

160gb Samsung hdd

Amd hd7870

cd drive

Standard 500w psu from novatech

Corsair spec 01 case

Any help would be appreciated as I need my pc running by Saturday, thanks.

Dead motherboard? not enough power?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

I was thinking the same but I think I can rule out the power supply as I already tried 3 different ones which were all brand new. I'm not sure whether or not the CPU is at fault, is there a way I can test it without a new motherboard?

16 minutes ago, kwlodarczyk said:

Hi, I built my first pc a few months ago and since then I have had lots of minor problems with it but I was able to fix them. Yesterday when I turned it on it was not even getting into the bios, the fans would spin up and I would get a feed going to the monitor but it was just a black screen. I tried using the onboard graphics instead of the gpu but the monitor was not getting signal from that. I tried different monitors as well as different graphics cards but that didn't make any difference. My specs are:

Asrock b85 pro 4 atx motherboard

Intel i5 4460

Kingston ram- 1 8gb stick

120gb SanDisk z400s ssd

400gb wd caviar hdd

160gb Samsung hdd

Amd hd7870

cd drive

Standard 500w psu from novatech

Corsair spec 01 case

Any help would be appreciated as I need my pc running by Saturday, thanks.

Did you try using the default VGA or DVI slot? Sometimes a video card dying can also have no display off the video card.

No, I don't have a speaker either, I tried powering it on just now with only the CPU, ram, gpu and ssd and it powered on properly but when I went to restart it it no longer posted.

usual troubleshooting steps:

remove GPU, reset cmos, try boot from VGA/DVI on mobo.

if no post, then

keep vga/dvi, switch dimm slot of ram

if no post, then

try new (different) ram

if still no post, I think I'd RMA the mobo/get new one.

these steps can be a pain, I know. but just make sure its not your cable before you start. else you waste your time (my HDMI cable was bad, learned the hard way)

2 minutes ago, kwlodarczyk said:

No, I don't have a speaker either, I tried powering it on just now with only the CPU, ram, gpu and ssd and it powered on properly but when I went to restart it it no longer posted.

some bad config maybe?

you reset mobo to factory defaults yet?

Just cleared the CMOS and tried a different cable using the onboard graphics but not getting any signal to my monitor. I know the ram is good ad I checked it in a different pc yesterday. I'm thinking its either the motherboard or CPU, is there any way I can test either of them?

Got it to work, for some reason the motherboard wouldn't post with the gpu in the top slot, after moving the gpu down a slot it works fine so far. Should I rma the motherboard?

2 hours ago, kwlodarczyk said:

Yes because if you wanted to sell the mobo later down the road, it would be worth less

Thanks,

Reese