DG PC Build

Diamond_golm

Hi everyone! I'm new to the LTT forums but have watched these videos for a while now. Ever since I watched my first LTT video, I had the dream of building my own gaming rig. This was the hardware I was going to use and wanted to see if I should change/add anything to the build.

Motherboard:

ASUS Z170-A ATX (originally PRO edition)

CPU:

Intel Core I7 6600K (originally 6700K)

Ram:

2x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 2400MHz

Graphics Card:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming Addition (oringinally gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 WindForce)

Power Supply:

Corsair HXi Series, 750 Watt Fully Modular

Boot Drive:

120GB Samsung EVO

Storage Drive:

Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Optical Drive:

Asus 24x OEM Optical Drive

Sound Card:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Wireless/Bluetooth Card:

Recommended by AwesomeAustin226:

Rosewill AC1200 PCI-E WiFi/Bluetooth Card

Cooling:

Radiator: Corsair H100i

Fans: Blue LED Corsair Air Series

That's all the hardware I plan to use on the PC. For peripherals I want to see what you have to recommend, but the PC them is blue so please see what you can find.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Diamond_golm said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to the LTT forums but have watched these videos for a while now. Ever since I watched my first LTT video, I had the dream of building my own gaming rig. This was the hardware I was going to use and wanted to see if I should change/add anything to the build.

Motherboard:

ASUS Z170-PRO ATX

CPU:

Intel Core I7 6700K

Ram:

2x Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200MHz

Graphics Card:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce Addition

Power Supply:

Corsair HXi Series, 850 Watt Fully Modular

Boot Drive:

120GB Samsung EVO

Storage Drive:

Western Digital Black 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Optical Drive:

Asus 24x OEM Optical Drive

Sound Card:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Wireless/Bluetooth Card:

TP Link Wireless Adapter 2.4GHz 200Mbps

That's all the hardware I plan to use on the PC. For peripherals I want to see what you have to recommend, but the PC them is blue so please see what you can find.

Thanks!

whats the cooling and will u overclock?

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

I'm assuming you don't want to pickup a R9 390X, so I recommend that you lower some other parts in your build (Cheaper Mobo, cheaper ram, different and cheaper power supply, and cheaper hard drive) to try to fit a 980TI (or maybe just a regular 980).

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Seems like a pretty good rig! One thing I may suggest on, is to change your wireless card. I would suggest a Rosewill AC1200 PCE card. It is amazing.

Otherwise, if you can afford it, go for it, dude!

EDIT: Also, what case will you use?

Just now, zlolslavez said:

I'm assuming you don't want to pickup a R9 390X, so I recommend that you lower some other parts in your build (Cheaper Mobo, cheaper ram, different and cheaper power supply, and cheaper hard drive) to try to fit a 980TI (or maybe just a regular 980).

Thanks for the idea! Might go for a 750W PSU instead. For ram, probs a 32GB kit of HyperX fury. I might do a 1TB WD blue instead, mainly because I want it to be fast (unlike my old dell tower, which actually did pretty good). Thanks for the idea

Just now, Diamond_golm said:

Thanks for the idea! Might go for a 750W PSU instead. For ram, probs a 32GB kit of HyperX fury. I might do a 1TB WD blue instead, mainly because I want it to be fast (unlike my old dell tower, which actually did pretty good). Thanks for the idea

I have no idea what you plan on doing with this build, but I'm going to guess you don't need 32 GB of RAM. (If you do 4K video editing, then maybe, but if you don't then I would stick with 16GB, which tbh is probably overkill too).

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin226 said:

Seems like a pretty good rig! One thing I may suggest on, is to change your wireless card. I would suggest a Rosewill AC1200 PCE card. It is amazing.

Otherwise, if you can afford it, go for it, dude!

EDIT: Also, what case will you use?

Not gonna lie. Where I plan on buying the hardware, #Amazon, it costs $59.37 cents but thank god it's prime so I might look into it. Thanks!

1 minute ago, zlolslavez said:

I have no idea what you plan on doing with this build, but I'm going to guess you don't need 32 GB of RAM. (If you do 4K video editing, then maybe, but if you don't then I would stick with 16GB, which tbh is probably overkill too).

I'm doing the 32GB because my brother, for whatever reason, never closes things until he shuts down the PC, so I am helping him out on that part to.

15 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

whats the cooling and will u overclock?

Can't believe I forgot to put cooling! Using a corsair H100i double rad. I don't plan to overclock but, I might put in a slight overclock (mabye around 4.2-4.3Ghz overclock). 

4 minutes ago, Diamond_golm said:

Can't believe I forgot to put cooling! Using a corsair H100i double rad. I don't plan to overclock but, I might put in a slight overclock (mabye around 4.2-4.3Ghz overclock). 

just saying the oc wouldn't inprove anything with that small of oc i would get 6700 non k to push for maybe a 980 or get a 6600k for a oc and get a 980 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

2 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

just saying the oc wouldn't inprove anything with that small of oc i would get 6700 non k to push for maybe a 980 or get a 6600k for a oc and get a 980 

True dat. A core I5 6600K is almost a $130 dollar difference, from the 6700, on amazon for the same even more out of the box GHz. So, go for 6600K, 6700, or 6700K?

1 hour ago, Diamond_golm said:

True dat. A core I5 6600K is almost a $130 dollar difference, from the 6700, on amazon for the same even more out of the box GHz. So, go for 6600K, 6700, or 6700K?

i say a 6600k to try and get a 980