Build recommendation

Hi guys. I'm looking for recommendations for a build that is preferably <$1000 (in my country's currency)

I see lots of builds online that show how to build good gaming PC's for cheap, but unfortunately in my country stuff is pretty expensive so even with their help I can't get a build that is relatively cheap.

Attached are images of a price list at my local computer hardware store at Sim Lim Square, Singapore (Linus was here once and documented his trip in one of his videos)

I will be using the PC for some light gaming (doesn't need to run Crysis 3 at max settings but should preferably run current gen games smoothly) as well as some hobby editing (running Photoshop and ProTools for recreational purposes and not professional purposes).

I already have a monitor and Windows 7 OEM installed on bootcamp on my MacBook (which hopefully can be transferred to the new PC)

Prices are shown in the list. Not exactly as cheap as ones you get in the US.

Please give me recommendations on what you would get for such a PC.

Thank you!

Oh and, would it be better to have 8GB of ram or 16GB for such purposes. Also, should I get a GTX950 or 970?

Scan 1.png

Scan.png

I suggest the following: 

GPU: GTX 970 or r390x

CPU: AMD

RAM: Kingston 8gb

Power supply: EVGA

MOBO: Depands on CPU chipset

Also try pcpartpicker.com to work with prices from stores in your country to help determine your desired budget and part compatibility.  

Other things to note:

AMD is Cheaper then Intel but both share similar performance. In most cases now AMD have more VRAM on GPU's and Cores on CPU's.

5 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

I suggest the following: 

GPU: GTX 970 or r390x

CPU: AMD

RAM: Kingston 8gb

Power supply: EVGA

MOBO: Depands on CPU chipset

Also try pcpartpicker.com to work with prices from stores in your country to help determine your desired budget and part compatibility.  

Other things to note:

AMD is Cheaper then Intel but both share similar performance. In most cases now AMD have more VRAM on GPU's and Cores on CPU's.

Are you tripping? AMD CPU's are no where near intel at the moment, which is a shame really.

@EdgeJay Grab an i5 (6600k, 4690k if funds are there if not a 4460 + h97 board) As for the GPU, the 970 is MUCH stronger than the 950, however the AMD 390 can be had for less usually and is a little faster in most games

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

31 minutes ago, EdgeJay said:

You can't really transfer an OEM key

otherwise you'd want an i5 4460 if it's cheaper than an i5 6500, or a Xeon 1231v3 if it's available

8gbs of RAM is fine for gaming.

and the 380/390 from AMD are faster than the 960/970 if the prices are the same it's better to go for AMD.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@stealth80 About that 950 vs 970. Is it a LOT faster? Like, an extremely noticeable difference in many cases? Would the 950 be able to run, say, GTAV at Mid-High settings?

21 minutes ago, EdgeJay said:

@stealth80 About that 950 vs 970. Is it a LOT faster? Like, an extremely noticeable difference in many cases? Would the 950 be able to run, say, GTAV at Mid-High settings?

Not really worth it to go for the mid range nvidia cards, the AMD offerings are faster, from a quick glance you'd want the

Gigabyte R9 380 G1

from that list at least, I can't seem to find a 390 that would be worth it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

@Streetguru Oh I see!

Well if that's the case, will getting a lower end motherboard have any great impacts on overall performance? Say, I drop the 4690 and go for a 4460. How much will this affect overall performance?

1 minute ago, EdgeJay said:

@Streetguru Oh I see!

Well if that's the case, will getting a lower end motherboard have any great impacts on overall performance? Say, I drop the 4690 and go for a 4460. How much will this affect overall performance?

It usually just gives you more IO options and more stable power delivery

Spoiler

@Streetguru What do you mean by IO options? I'm sorry i''m relatively new to the custom PC world...

1 minute ago, EdgeJay said:

@Streetguru What do you mean by IO options? I'm sorry i''m relatively new to the custom PC world...

more USB, possibly better onboard audio, higher end chipset motherboards generally have higher end components, here's a list of differences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150

Spoiler

@Streetguru Would you recommend the R7 370 or GTX 950 for a lower end PC? Will these cards be able to run current-gen games at high settings with at least 60fps?

Just now, EdgeJay said:

@Streetguru Would you recommend the R7 370 or GTX 950 for a lower end PC? Will these cards be able to run current-gen

They'll do alright, but you'd want the 950 if the cost is the same.

of course if you can get a 380 instead that'd be a good deal faster somewhere in the range of 30%

Spoiler