GPU Lifespan Affected by World Community Grid?

Go to solution Solved by brandishwar,
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, Imakuni said:

Just a quick note, WCG doesn't make use of GPUs,at least not right now.

Anyway, distributed computing won't hurt your GPU, so long as temps are cool.

One of the reasons I have the four GPUs I dedicate to BOINC water cooled. They're currently running at 40C compared to 70+C when they were on their air coolers. On the downside, the room where I have them can get pretty warm now since they are running around the clock doing GPUGrid. That along with MilkyWay@Home will cook a graphics card pretty well, as will Folding@Home, which has added benefit of sautéing your CPU alongside it.

Back to @EdVentureTime, if you're going to be doing distributed computing on your GPU for any sustained period of time frequently, water cooling I think will be a basic requirement on that, even if it'll be a Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 -- you don't need anything more than that. If the card will also be used for gaming and you decide to use a Kraken G10, make sure you have short heatsinks on the VRMs and memory to keep them cool as well.

Hello all,

Quick question- will using my GPU for BOING/WCG shorten its lifespan significantly? If so, what steps can I take to keep it safe?

What degrades chips more than anything is heat and high voltage. If you can keep it cool you can extend the life. 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

3 hours ago, EdVentureTime said:

Hello all,

Quick question- will using my GPU for BOING/WCG shorten its lifespan significantly? If so, what steps can I take to keep it safe?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

After folding on my 780 for a year straight, my overclock was no longer stable.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 hours ago, FloRolf said:

After folding on my 780 for a year straight, my overclock was no longer stable.

More like it never was stable to begin with, but only after a recent software update, (which uses the GPU in a different manner) the instability was really discovered.

Or you just let it overheat...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

More like it never was stable to begin with, but only after a recent software update, (which uses the GPU in a different manner) the instability was really discovered.

Or you just let it overheat...

well yeah it was, derp.

I don't think software updates change it that much.

I kept it under 65°C at all times

And it wasnt "crashing unstable" after, it was just artifacting unstable.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

well yeah it was, derp.

I don't think software updates change it that much.

I kept it under 65°C at all times

And it wasnt "crashing unstable" after, it was just artifacting unstable.

Nope, happened to me at Boinc. I used to run a "rock solid" +164mhz OC on my GPU. Then, a new app was developed which used a different logic, was insanely faster (like, 30%) and also had a wider range of usage than the previous one. Guess what: now I'm forced to run at a humble +114. The old app, still works 100% fine with a higher OC. The new one just doesn't.

And it's not even "crashing unstable" or "artifacting", it was just giving of calculation errors.

I'm not saying that this is what happened to you. But I want you to know that this is a very likely possibility.

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Nope, happened to me at Boinc. I used to run a "rock solid" +164mhz OC on my GPU. Then, a new app was developed which used a different logic, was insanely faster (like, 30%) and also had a wider range of usage than the previous one. Guess what: now I'm forced to run at a humble +114. The old app, still works 100% fine with a higher OC. The new one just doesn't.

And it's not even "crashing unstable" or "artifacting", it was just giving of calculation errors.

I'm not saying that this is what happened to you. But I want you to know that this is a very likely possibility.

well i never had the OC enabled during folding because F@H really didn't like my OC at all. But laterm when i enabled it in games, it was artifacting.

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

well i never had the OC enabled during folding because F@H really didn't like my OC at all. But laterm when i enabled it in games, it was artifacting.

Er......

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, Imakuni said:

One of the reasons I have the four GPUs I dedicate to BOINC water cooled. They're currently running at 40C compared to 70+C when they were on their air coolers. On the downside, the room where I have them can get pretty warm now since they are running around the clock doing GPUGrid. That along with MilkyWay@Home will cook a graphics card pretty well, as will Folding@Home, which has added benefit of sautéing your CPU alongside it.

Back to @EdVentureTime, if you're going to be doing distributed computing on your GPU for any sustained period of time frequently, water cooling I think will be a basic requirement on that, even if it'll be a Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 -- you don't need anything more than that. If the card will also be used for gaming and you decide to use a Kraken G10, make sure you have short heatsinks on the VRMs and memory to keep them cool as well.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

17 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

Wellcome to Primegrid. A world where they released a new app so powerfull that my Gtx 970 (which supposedly is a very power efficient card) from gigabyte (which supposedly has one of the best air coolers out there) throttles itself by -0.45v because of thermals.

Folding is cake compared to that. And GPUGrid, while worse than folding, really wasn't as bad, and I could even OC it.

Have no problem with a R9 380 gigabyte Afterburner max fan speed an its sits lower than idle mode on temp45 degrees c  

SORRY tired temp is lower on full fan speed than idle no fan mode

On 2/18/2016 at 1:25 PM, brandishwar said:

if you're going to be doing distributed computing on your GPU for any sustained period of time frequently, water cooling I think will be a basic requirement on that, even if it'll be a Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55

Thanks for the suggestion. With this in mind, I'll probably disable GPU computing until I do my next major upgrade. My rig is actually a rackmount workstation in a custom 2U case (it's a long story that I'll be detailing in a build log soon), so there's no space for radiators inside. :) 

The future seems bright with these USB C graphics card enclosures that came out at CES, though. Maybe I'll eventually make a watercooled external card solution! 

4 hours ago, EdVentureTime said:

Thanks for the suggestion. With this in mind, I'll probably disable GPU computing until I do my next major upgrade. My rig is actually a rackmount workstation in a custom 2U case (it's a long story that I'll be detailing in a build log soon), so there's no space for radiators inside. :) 

The future seems bright with these USB C graphics card enclosures that came out at CES, though. Maybe I'll eventually make a watercooled external card solution! 

Something like this:

leak_test.jpg

rear_graphicschassis.jpg

rear_graphicshost.jpg

Link to article: http://www.kennethballard.com/?p=2336

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6