6700k build

DeNasty

Okay so I'm building my first gaming computer. I've already picked out everything I think will work together and started buying some of the parts.

I've already bought these three parts.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132565

Intel Core i7-6700K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

Corsair H115i

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181100

The parts I haven't bought yet start here.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32gb (2x16) DDR4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232091

MasterCase Pro 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119306

Im going to use this as my boot drive 

SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467

2x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

I plan to start with just the one video card and add another if i find i need more 

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142

I haven't picked a power supply cause I'm not quite sure how much I'll need to power the system. I'm going to run windows 10 home on this machine. I don't plan to run 4K at this time but maybe in the future, however i do want to run at the highest settings I can at 1080p. I do plan to over clock my 6700k eventually, I'm not sure how much I've never done it before but probably not much, I'm afraid I might do it wrong and ruin my computer. I've never built a high end pc before  cause I've never had enough money and want it to be as good as it can be.

If anyone could give me a bit of help picking the right PSU wattage I would be very grateful. Thanks a bunch.

2 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

Okay so I'm building my first gaming computer. I've already picked out everything I think will work together and started buying some of the parts.

So you're just gaming? because if so you're wasting a lot of the budget

also it's entirely pointless to get a 980ti for 1080p, you're better off with something like a 390 and a 4K free-sync display, and just running 1080p on that display until 6 months rolls around and all the new GPUs come out

also PCI-e SSDs aren't worth it, just buy more sata SSD storage, you'd get twice as much.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLzxXL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLzxXL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.68 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 27MC67-B 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($501.35 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1468.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-15 17:42 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I've already bought my Motherboard and CPU and I do eventually plan to switch to 4K and video editing as well.

I don't mind over spending. The last time I bought a gaming computer it wasn't nearly as powerful as I needed id rather jump to over kill this time and let it get old before i need to replace it.

Spend more on monitors (and probably psu though you don't say what it is). Spend less on ssds (don't bother with M.2 for just gaming) and RAM. 

EDIT: just saw you haven't picked a psu. Use the LTT tier list, and spend money on a better tier psu rather than getting more wattage than you need.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

1 minute ago, Elehat said:

Spend more on monitors (and probably psu though you don't say what it is). Spend less on ssds (don't bother with M.2 for just gaming) and RAM. 

I'm sorry I don't know how much power I'll need so i haven't pick a PSU yet and was hoping for help in figuring that out

19 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

I've already bought my Motherboard and CPU and I do eventually plan to switch to 4K and video editing as well.

Well possibly return them, as they're a waste sort of, but otherwise

4K display prices aren't going to change in 6 months, while high end GPUs will be changing

if you buy a 4k display now, you'll have the experience now as in 6 months, however if you buy a high end GPU now, that same $600 or so will give you probably at least 20% more performance than it does right now.

a 980ti does about 40fps at 4k, in 6 months the high end GPU will do 60fps at 4k, and you'll already have the 4k display ready to go.

that is why you want a 4k display now, and a high end GPU later, because 6 months is a really short time and you get a fair bit more for your money in 6 months, so like I said, better to play 1080p on a 4k display rather than waste a high end GPU on a 1080p display, plus the 4k display I included is free-sync.

you're going to want like a 750W PSU since your build has an unlocked CPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

I'd probably get 850W+ for an SLI build, 650W for a single card. Both leave a little room for overclocking and ageing. There are guys that know much more about psu quality tha I do, but they made a list so we can steal their knowledge :). Check the PSU section of the forum. 

Yeah the VIII Hero is a bit more expensive than you need and imo not great value compared to similar offerings from MSI and GB. However depending on the games you play the 6700k could be handy. If it's mostly for fps though a 6600k would be just fine.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

So can I still keep the parts i picked out already and buy 4k now and hold off on gpu till later

I want a higher fps on max detail setting if I can and I picked asus cause its just a personal preference

by fps I meant first person shooters :). The same is true for MMOs and racing games, though strategy games especially are cpu intensive, which is why you see the LTT test suite for gaming cpus include games like Total War and Cities:Skylines, and why Tomb Raider was a pointless test. For most gamers with an i5 or better, frames per second will almost always be a function of the graphics card. 

10 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

Does having the 6700k put me below other CPUs ?

It's the fastest per core stock CPU right now, but the thing is you don't need that speed really for 60hz gaming, any intel quad core at 3ghz or above will be fine for removing the CPU bottleneck in most games

otherwise a 390 is already fairly capable for 1080p, and you're going to be able to run some indie games and games like civ V at 4k, with the nicer higher end display, plus your OS is going to look much sharper naturally with 4 times the pixels. 1080p scales perfectly with 4k, though you can also run games at 1440p

In addition you have the free-sync on the display, so all games are going to look a lot smoother.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8g-d5,4245.html

Spoiler

Okay but isn't the skylake CPU needed to run DDR4?

1 hour ago, DeNasty said:

Okay but isn't the skylake CPU needed to run DDR4?

Ya, but DDR4 offers no real advantage to the average user. it's mostly useful for servers and mobile devices.

Spoiler

mobile devices????? isn't it brand new for PC's how could it be already in mobile device

53 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

mobile devices????? isn't it brand new for PC's how could it be already in mobile device

no, like it uses less power, so for mobile devices you'd get a longer battery life when they start to use DDR4

the power matters a bit for servers, but it's mostly that you get much higher density in your servers.

for a desktop PC that only needs like 8gbs of RAM, it really doesn't matter at all that it uses slightly less power or that it has higher density so there's not much reason to bother worrying about DDR4, which is why skylake is a really weird platform right now, it would be a lot better if intel didn't remove using Xeons on the consumer chipsets.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

no, like it uses less power, so for mobile devices you'd get a longer battery life when they start to use DDR4

the power matters a bit for servers, but it's mostly that you get much higher density in your servers.

for a desktop PC that only needs like 8gbs of RAM, it really doesn't matter at all that it uses slightly less power or that it has higher density so there's not much reason to bother worrying about DDR4, which is why skylake is a really weird platform right now, it would be a lot better if intel didn't remove using Xeons on the consumer chipsets.

Is there any harm in using what I've already bought I'd rather over pay now and not need to upgrade for awhile 

5 hours ago, DeNasty said:

Is there any harm in using what I've already bought I'd rather over pay now and not need to upgrade for awhile 

You're overpaying a lot for relatively little performance gain, I'd put the saved money to the display because that's going to last you pretty much forever with a 4k display.

For an extremely rough comparison you can look here, if you OC the 6700K to something like 4.5ghz, you're probably going to end up with something like a 15% performance advantage, but that's really unnecessary for gaming and something like a nice 4k display would be way more noticeable than 15% more performance on your CPU.

and again, pointless to run a 980ti at 1080p lol.

Spoiler

Okay you sold me on the 4K. All the ones I'm seeing don't seem to have as high a refresh rate as regular 1080p. Does the jump to such a high resolution make the refresh rate not matter as much? I mean the non 4K monitors I had chosen was 24 inch 144Hz 1ms 3D gaming monitor from asus. Is it possible to run them both say one at 4K and the other not at 4K so i can choose if i want higher res for solo games and the lower res with a much higher refresh rate for multiplayer fps?

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

which sata ports i wont be able to use?

1 hour ago, lazar.d said:

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

which sata ports i wont be able to use?

M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA Modes)*

* When the M.2 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

I don't know much about m.2 in fact I only heard about it recently but from what i understand it can be run as either PCIE 3.0 or as SATA  where if its run as PCIE  you loose the functionality of one of the PCIE slots that connects to the chipset and have the higher speeds that m.2 promises and if its run as SATA you loose a SATA port and the drive runs at SATA speeds. but i don't know much about them I've been told earlier in this thread that m.2 isn't worth it but i don't know I'm not sure if I'm going to use it any more right now

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 7.52.00 PM.png

Edited by DeNasty

I'm still getting all the parts all i have right now is the mother board. the processor and water cooler is at my friends house ill get that next weekend. the cooler master pro 5 is gonna be here some time next week and ill purchase the ram and power supply next friday i can get picks later when i have all the parts. I'm not gonna do much for cable management right away i plan to get some nicer cables from cable mod and ill do most of that after i probably won't get my video card for a awhile