Wifi Adapter keeps turning off.

Sasori

Hello guys,

I'm having a small problem.

My wifi adapter keeps powering off every 10/15 minutes or so.

I searched around the internet and came across the power management problem.

I unchecked the power saving for my adapter and it seemed to work yesterday.

At a another forum people said to me that a overclock can hurt your USB ports so I dialed my overclock a bit and this also seemed to work.

Now I think that maybe my PSU is not powerfull enough to power my system, can this be the problem ?

If you guys have a another sollution I like to hear it.

Thanks in advance :)

Frieza: It's Those Eyes, They Have The Same Eyes.

Well, do you have ethernet? Ethernet is a lot more reliable and is stock with most motherboards. 

PC Specs: 
CPU: i7-5930K | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB | Storage: SeaGate 2TB & SanDisk 120GB SSD | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Cert | Monitors: (x2) Acer S220HQL | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB |

3 hours ago, Sasori said:

-snip

What power supply do you have?

23 minutes ago, Yames said:

What power supply do you have?

I have a cheap Cooler Master B600 PSU at the moment.

But I can get a Be Quiet Pure Power L8 630 Watt tonight.

If that's the case.

4 hours ago, Sasori said:

I have a cheap Cooler Master B600 PSU at the moment.

But I can get a Be Quiet Pure Power L8 630 Watt tonight.

If that's the case.

Can't seem to find the rating of the Cooler Master power supply. It's best to stay away from the ones that don't have theirs rated publicly such as bronze, gold, platinum, titanium etc...

Post the results if you can once you get the alt PSU, I'm curious to see the results 

2 hours ago, Sasori said:

Hello guys,

I'm having a small problem.

My wifi adapter keeps powering off every 10/15 minutes or so.

I searched around the internet and came across the power management problem.

I unchecked the power saving for my adapter and it seemed to work yesterday.

At a another forum people said to me that a overclock can hurt your USB ports so I dialed my overclock a bit and this also seemed to work.

Now I think that maybe my PSU is not powerfull enough to power my system, can this be the problem ?

If you guys have a another sollution I like to hear it.

Thanks in advance :)

I find that USB wireless adapters struggle with lots of data running through them. I have two, one Cisco one and one random Chinese high power one and they work alright, but with a big download they just power off. If you can, try and get a PCIE adapter, they're nice and cheap and generally work better.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 hour ago, Yames said:

Can't seem to find the rating of the Cooler Master power supply. It's best to stay away from the ones that don't have theirs rated publicly such as bronze, gold, platinum, titanium etc...

Cooler Master B600 Link

I got the Be Quiet pure power L8 630 watt from a good friend of mine and will test it out and post as soon as possible if the PSU was indeed the problem.

Just want to clarify some things;

1. You have a desktop PC.

2. That PC has a USB Wifi adapter

3. Every 10-15 min it "powers off"

Questions:

1. What is your build? Known is your PSU, but to answer if its enough power, need to know what you have (CPU/GPU/HDD/ETC) in your machine. Also what OS?

2. What model Wifi adapter is it? Are you using Windows Wireless Zero native app or the wireless utility that came with the adapter?

3. What do you mean by it  "powers off"? Does it become disabled in Network Connections? Is there a light on the adapter that goes out?

4. When it happens, can you swap something else in that port? IE your mouse, and see if it works? This will tell if the USB is the issue or the adapter.

5. Do you have any other signs of PSU issues? BSOD? Fail to post? Motherboard beeps? Etc

Which WiFi adapter are you using?

PS, many USB 3 enabled WiFi adapters using the ralink chipset, have compatibility issues with Etron USB 3.0 controllers. If your motherboard is using a USB 3 controller (especially the ej168 controller), then you will need to either use a USB 2.0 port, or get a USB 2 extension cable so that it runs in USB 2 mode.

Other than that, if it seems like the device is actually disconnecting and reconnecting, try a different USB port, that is connected to a different hub on the motherboard, or if possible, test the power output of the port while it is powering the device, as if the voltage drops to the 4.5V range, then the device may restart, this happens if a USB hub in the motherboard is overloaded with other devices.

15 hours ago, Trikein said:

Questions:

1. What is your build? Known is your PSU, but to answer if its enough power, need to know what you have (CPU/GPU/HDD/ETC) in your machine. Also what OS?

2. What model Wifi adapter is it? Are you using Windows Wireless Zero native app or the wireless utility that came with the adapter?

3. What do you mean by it  "powers off"? Does it become disabled in Network Connections? Is there a light on the adapter that goes out?

4. When it happens, can you swap something else in that port? IE your mouse, and see if it works? This will tell if the USB is the issue or the adapter.

5. Do you have any other signs of PSU issues? BSOD? Fail to post? Motherboard beeps? Etc

1. I5 4690k @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, MSI Geforce GTX 970 G4 be quiet pure power L8 630 watt.

2. TP-Link TL-WN822N with windows native app.

3. Like I say, it powers off.

in my system tray there's no sign of the adapter.

4. everything else works fine in that port.

5. I don't know any.