Best Setup for under $250

sebz2

Recently I was looking for a new upgrade - still am from my core 2 duo and ancient motherboard so I was wondering what you guys would suggest for $250 Looking for Motherboard, cpu, ram, and aftermarket cooler.

Thanks! Case is rosswell challenger and 750 watt psu.

Cooler can be a Hyper 212 EVO, maybe an 8GB Kit of DDR2? The motherboard is fine, hard to get anything for a CPU that old.

How would that compare to my current idea of fx 6300, 8 gigs crucial ballistic sport, hyper 212 evo, and gigabyte 78lmt usb 3 motherboard - all brand new?

An i5 4460, B85 or H81 motherboard, 8GB of RAM and just use the stock cooler.

So $180 for the CPU, $45 for the motherboard and $30 for RAM.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, sebz2 said:

How would that compare to my current idea of fx 6300, 8 gigs crucial ballistic sport, hyper 212 evo, and gigabyte 78lmt usb 3 motherboard - all brand new?

? You reply using the arrow mate. But with 250 dollars is your max yes? Well then you wouldn't have enough for a GPU. and FX series needs a GPU. If you really want to be cheap. Getting a APU would be your best bet, as that only requires high speedy RAM and motherboard and APU then you got a gaming machine for cheap. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, AshleyD said:

That works too. Though you would want faster RAM. Faster RAM benefits APU's by a great degree. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, Ramamataz said:

? You reply using the arrow mate. But with 250 dollars is your max yes? Well then you wouldn't have enough for a GPU. and FX series needs a GPU. If you really want to be cheap. Getting a APU would be your best bet, as that only requires high speedy RAM and motherboard and APU then you got a gaming machine for cheap. 

I have the gt 730 - its in my core 2 duo low profile case - getting a new free case so i can upgrade from the 730 soon.

Just now, sebz2 said:

I have graphics card, harddrive, diskdrive

Ahh, I did not realize you had a GPU. I would go with the @Ramamataz suggestion then.

Just now, sebz2 said:

I have the gt 730 - its in my core 2 duo low profile case - getting a new free case so i can upgrade from the 730 soon.

Well mate the GT 730 isn't exactly good lol. 

I think you should go with my build or AshleyD's build. To be honest.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C77pyc

This is very similar to my computer, and I can play most games at 1080p max settings, if you want benchmarks then here

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

18 minutes ago, sebz2 said:

Recently I was looking for a new upgrade - still am from my core 2 duo and ancient motherboard so I was wondering what you guys would suggest for $250 Looking for Motherboard, cpu, ram, and aftermarket cooler.

Thanks! Case is rosswell challenger and 750 watt psu.

What are you using this PC for exactly? For gaming or overall usage for work, homework, gaming, photoshoping etc?

Just now, Ramamataz said:

What are you using this PC for exactly? For gaming or overall usage for work, homework, gaming, photoshoping etc?

More so gaming plan on going into some more creative stuff eventually - my brother will use it for rendering his music stuff.

6 minutes ago, sebz2 said:

More so gaming plan on going into some more creative stuff eventually - my brother will use it for rendering his music stuff.

Then my build is a tad bit better. As it's got a nice powerful GPU for it's time. However I think I could change the CPU to a 3rd gen intel CPU. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i3-3220-3-30-GHz-Dual-Core-Processor-LGA-1155-3MB-Cache-55W-/322002915590?hash=item4af8de9106:g:E48AAOSwUuFWuPVP

Still an i3 but more updated. 

5 minutes ago, sebz2 said:

Music stuff like this 

I likey the music.