Asus PG27AQ vs PG279Q

The Pikachu Mafia

So as the title suggests, I'm looking for some advice on which monitor I should pick for my computer. Essentially it's the old High res vs High FPS argument, but I'd figure I'd ask anyways. As of right now I have the computer hooked up to a projector, so it's in need of a good monitor to do it justice. Here's some more info about my situation specifically.

- I have the graphical horsepower to run either monitor (GTX 980 ti in sli). I could consistently hit 100+ FPS on ultra with the 1440p monitor; and 60 FPS on high/ultra in 2160p.

- I'm used to 1080p sub 60fps games (consoles and laptop only do 60hz) so in my case what would be a more dramatic change; doubling my fps or quadrupling my pixels?

- I plan on playing games such as The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Battlefield/Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, GTA V, Metal Gear Solid, etc. I'll also play a ton of older games, or ones that are super easy to run.

- I might also play some other first person shooters such as CS:GO or CoD (although not super competitively).

- I'll be doing a considerable amount of video editing and may dip into photo editing as well later on.

- I live in the US (if that's relevant)

Also a quick question for anyone who has either monitor, is Asus' QC really that bad? It's a really hard pill to swallow dropping $800-$900 on a monitor with a good chance for Backlight Bleed and dead pixels. I'm prepared to go through Newegg and exchange it multiple times if I have to, but it's still quite a hassle...

Thanks so much in advance!

I think that higher framerate would serve you WAY better. I personally have a 4k monitor for media consumption and I sometimes play some steam games using it. The diffrence going from 1200p to 4k is not noticible for me on a 40" panel.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

144hz or bust.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

7 minutes ago, The Pikachu Mafia said:

So as the title suggests, I'm looking for some advice on which monitor I should pick for my computer. Essentially it's the old High res vs High FPS argument, but I'd figure I'd ask anyways. As of right now I have the computer hooked up to a projector, so it's in need of a good monitor to do it justice. Here's some more info about my situation specifically.

- I have the graphical horsepower to run either monitor (GTX 980 ti in sli). I could consistently hit 100+ FPS on ultra with the 1440p monitor; and 60 FPS on high/ultra in 2160p.

- I'm used to 1080p sub 60fps games (consoles and laptop only do 60hz) so in my case what would be a more dramatic change; doubling my fps or quadrupling my pixels?

- I plan on playing games such as The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Battlefield/Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, GTA V, Metal Gear Solid, etc. I'll also play a ton of older games, or ones that are super easy to run.

- I might also play some other first person shooters such as CS:GO or CoD (although not super competitively).

- I'll be doing a considerable amount of video editing and may dip into photo editing as well later on.

- I live in the US (if that's relevant)

Also a quick question for anyone who has either monitor, is Asus' QC really that bad? It's a really hard pill to swallow dropping $800-$900 on a monitor with a good chance for Backlight Bleed and dead pixels. I'm prepared to go through Newegg and exchange it multiple times if I have to, but it's still quite a hassle...

Thanks so much in advance!

Go for the 4K one, I've got the PG279Q but I dont video edit and I do play more hardcore fps games.

27 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I think that higher framerate would serve you WAY better. I personally have a 4k monitor for media consumption and I sometimes play some steam games using it. The diffrence going from 1200p to 4k is not noticible for me on a 40" panel.

That's fairly interesting. I've seen 4k content before on TVs and such and believe that I would probably notice the difference on a 27' monitor (assuming I'm only sitting 2-4 feet away). I am somewhat worried about scaling though.

26 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

144hz or bust.

Bruh, I've heard 144hz is amazing. :P

24 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

Go for the 4K one, I've got the PG279Q but I dont video edit and I do play more hardcore fps games.

That was my line of thought, I'm leaning towards the 4k panel as I don't play FPS games super competitively. 

As a side question, which monitor would be able to upscale 1080p content better? I watch a lot of movies and videos, but since the most popular format is 1080p both monitors would be forced to upscale. Technically I think 2160p has an advantage since it's exactly twice the width and height of 1080p, but due to interpolation I don't know if it will actually play out that way or not...

Just now, The Pikachu Mafia said:

That's fairly interesting. I've seen 4k content before on TVs and such and believe that I would probably notice the difference on a 27' monitor (assuming I'm only sitting 2-4 feet away). I am somewhat worried about scaling though.

Bruh, I've heard 144hz is amazing. :P

That was my line of thought, I'm leaning towards the 4k panel as I don't play FPS games super competitively. 

As a side question, which monitor would be able to upscale 1080p content better? I watch a lot of movies and videos, but since the most popular format is 1080p both monitors would be forced to upscale. Technically I think 2160p has an advantage since it's exactly twice the width and height of 1080p, but due to interpolation I don't know if it will actually play out that way or not...

Probaply 4k, but I don't know for sure. (maybe there is no difference)